No announcement yet.

Small wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went out to the restaurant on Saturday night and drank two bottles of wine that seemed really good for the price being charged. Paid $45 a bottle - got home and found that the bottle would have cost $39 straight from the winery. Restaurant food with wine at cellar door prices feels like a win, to me.

Comment

36 quid a bottle? Fuck me, get you, fancy pants.

Comment

No shit. You get four whole boxes of Radio Boka for that money....

Comment

I went 18 and 1 on Overwatch earlier today.

Comment

I got a call from DHL on behalf of the China Consulate. I've won some money!

Comment

I put on my clean work trousers this morning and found a well laundered 35 quid in the pocket.

Bonus.

Comment

Got new hearing aids last month, I'll get a bit back in tax at the end of the year, but anyone who has them will know how bloody expensive they are. Anyway went to the building society to pay this months credit card bill out of my savings book. About 10 years ago Bohemians were in serious trouble and I, amongst others, donated some money that I'd basically forgot about. After I paid the bill I was surprised, and happy to see they'd paid back nearly the full cost of my new ears.

Comment

Nice one! And you must be one of the very few people who's got money back after putting some in to a football club.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    Nice one! And you must be one of the very few people who's got money back after putting some in to a football club.
                    Well, there's the Glazer family...

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                      I went 18 and 1 on Overwatch earlier today.
                      What is this, please?

Comment

I was offered and took some flowers that had gone past their sell by date in Waitrose.

The smallest of small wins, that.

Comment

Overwatch is an Xbox game. I killed 18 opponents and only died once while playing a game of it.

Yesterday I discovered that I can press any button on my fitbit watch and it will display the time. Previously I thought that only one button did this task - the one that was slightly awkward to get to when wear my coat (because the sleeve covered that button.)

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Today, I took a subway all the way to the end of the line....and then took a bus....and then sat in a crowded government office with no washroom for 45 minutes. And I didn't die once.

Comment

Great job! You had a flawless trip.

Comment

I got a small bonus today. I immediately transferred it to my savings account. It's the thought that counts. Right?

Comment

No doubt a fraction of what you deserve, but still better than a stick in the eye

Comment

I had to sit on the floor after our booked train failed. I sometimes try the Metro cryptic crossword on the way to work but have only finished it once or twice. This train journey rather focused the mind and I did it easily.

I will get “delay repay” money for that, too but my regular small gains cash comes from the fact that a book I co-edited in the 90s still gets photocopied in Australian University libraries, so I get royalties of between £18 and £40 a year. I usually wave the cheque in my office mate’s direction since she is genuinely an internationally renowned academic with loads of single-authored books and seldom gets as much.

Comment

I mentioned buying some out of date crisps on Asda last week. Well I took them back, got my £1.50 refund and a £3 gift card for my trouble.

Then I discovered my favourite cereal (Jordans Country Crisp) was half price. So I bought 3 boxes.

Comment

I took back the hire car and they decided the tank was full, even though it was 3/4 empty. That's got to be a healthy wedge saved.

Comment

Found a fiver on the pavement last night. Didn’t see anyone drop it so kept it. Which paid for my movie beer. Result.

Comment

A few weeks back I found a $20 note (roughly ten quid) on the floor in a supermarket. I felt I couldn't pick it up because I'd be on camera, so I alerted a passing staff member, who said he couldn't pick it up either without authorisation. So I stood there with my foot on it while somebody fetched somebody else who signed something which made it OK. By then the warm feeling of virtue had passed, and I just wanted to get away (unrewarded).

So, not a win of any size, I suppose.

Comment

Wait....why couldn't you pick it up...even if you were on camera?

Comment

I got an email from the grocery delivery service telling me that I'd a $16 credit for returning bottles.
                                                  Replied that they'd clearly got the wrong account as I hadn't returned any bottles.
                                                  They let me keep the credit anyway.

Comment

Successfully shepherded a particularly irritating bluebottle out of the window, without resorting to swearing at the top of my voice (much).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X