No announcement yet.

Small wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rather like that *this* is the shameful thing you didn't want us to know about you.

Comment

For the record, I have a ton of Hot Wheels cars, and will still buy a DeLorean if I see a new one on the racks.

Comment

I never liked Hot Wheels. They seemed gauche next to Matchbox

Comment

Just catching up on this thread. When I saw Patrick's post I guessed it was something Lego-related, so Hot Wheels wasn't too far away. I award myself half a point.

WOM's is too cheap to be a shed, so I'm assuming it's DIY related. I'm going for a tool for regrouting the reflexive differential, but I could be wrong.

Comment

I'll have you know, pebblethefish that I haven't bought any Lego since Saturday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
              WOM's is too cheap to be a shed, so I'm assuming it's DIY related. I'm going for a tool for regrouting the reflexive differential, but I could be wrong.
              Sadly, it was a fleece pullover thing from Eddie Bauer. We go in every now and then to laugh at the prices, but they were having a pre-lockdown sale and were practically giving shit away.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Sadly, it was a fleece pullover thing from Eddie Bauer. We go in every now and then to laugh at the prices, but they were having a pre-lockdown sale and were practically giving shit away.
                Something for you to remove in the car park?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  Something for you to remove in the car park?
                  Should the opportunity arise, sure. I'm not getting any younger.

Anyway, you got a mention on the weekend. L said I was very prescient in getting the snow tires done early this year, and I said that someone in rural Romania had prompted me.

Comment

Should the opportunity arise, sure. I'm not getting any younger.

Anyway, you got a mention on the weekend. L said I was very prescient in getting the snow tires done early this year, and I said that someone in rural Romania had prompted me.
                    Mid-November is early in Ontario? Anyway glad to have been helpful.

Comment

It's been very mild and lovely so mid-November still felt a bit September. But I got the cars rustproofed early this year, and now I've got the xmas lights up and much of the shopping done, so we've no idea which way is up.

Comment

After participating for about a decade in Wealdstone's TeamDraw at something like four quid a month, I won a tenner last week...

Comment

Don't let the money change you, GO.

Comment

now I've got the xmas lights up
                            This is just wrong. People saying "2020 - All bets are off!" are also the people who still have the things up in late January. A pandemic doesn't mean you have to celebrate holidays to align with Target stock.

Comment

While walking through town I was asked for change by a homeless person. As I was on my way to Sainsbury's I said I could get her something to eat; after a brief back-and-forth where she said she'd rather have money, she asked for chocolate croissants (!)

Just when I'd picked up the item, an assistant said it might qualify for a reduced price sticker. The cost of my largesse turned out to be 34p.

Comment

I've just found a bottle of Oud Beersel gueuze in the back of a cupboard. It must have been there since the noughties. Gueuze being gueuze it has a 'best before' date of December 2023.
                                Last edited by Capybara; 30-11-2020, 11:42.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
                                  While walking through town I was asked for change by a homeless person.
                                  This is the only occurrence that makes me regret not having any coins in my wallet.

Comment

My grocery delivery today contained 3 panettones, rather than just the one that I ordered and paid for. I've never had this particular one before, so hopefully it's decent.
                                    On the flip side, they didn't deliver 3 apples, but did reimburse me the apple cost.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
                                      While walking through town I was asked for change by a homeless person. As I was on my way to Sainsbury's I said I could get her something to eat; after a brief back-and-forth where she said she'd rather have money, she asked for chocolate croissants (!)

Just when I'd picked up the item, an assistant said it might qualify for a reduced price sticker. The cost of my largesse turned out to be 34p.
                                      Just give her the money.

Comment

Out for a walk yesterday and the mud on the path by the river was appalling, slippery and often flooded. Up ahead an elderly gentleman was out for a walk with his daughter (him, looked in his late seventies minimum, her in her fifties). He was having a hard time of it and the inevitable happened as he toppled over. I rushed up and helped him to his feet, we saw them walking on around the place later, looking well enough.

Not really a "win", but I feel that shouting about my Good Samaritan gig is justified in these times of general shiteness.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                          This is the only occurrence that makes me regret not having any coins in my wallet.
                                          This is an issue at the moment, isn't it? The boy asked for some change the other day and I told him I didn't have any. "Come on, Dad, you must have something?" he protested but I had to say to him that I have barely used any cash since March let alone small change. I sent him up the coin tray by my bedside table but apparently it was all foreign currency.

This was just one of the convoluted financial exchanges we had over the festive period which is one of the few things I don't miss about my son when he is away. Upon his return, he asked to borrow some money to get on the internet which he would pay me back at payday. I informed him that his godmother had, at that moment, transferred me some birthday money which he could have. He seemed to think that I should lend him the money as the gift was for drinks and suchlike. I did point out that rather than borrowing off me until payday, he could, well, borrow off himself for internet money and have the drinks his godmother paid for on payday. This was apparently a "dickhead move"

Comment

After Eights in Asda, 2 quid reduced to 50p.

Comment

Why would he need money to get on the internet?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                Why would he need money to get on the internet?
                                                Bored charges him to use the WiFi. Cuts his device off every ten minutes unless he pays another 50p.

Comment

I went to the dentist before Christmas. I'd been really worried about it because, no matter what I've been doing, and a dental routine which takes around ten minutes before going to bed, my teeth seemed to be looking older and worse. When I got there, my dentist concluded that it was my goddamn mouthwash, of all things, that had been staining my teeth and making them look worse. And my teeth and gums were in good shape.

It's so rare to go to the dentist and to get good news. Vanishingly rare. Teeth just seem to get older and weaker generally, and cast a gloomy cloud over our mortality. So this was pretty much the best Christmas present I could have expected. And, that mouthwash has gone in the bin.

Comment

The dentist is another visit that I have postponed due to covid (that and haircuts). I think that I should probably at least take the kids in in the New Year, though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X