Mediocre chain restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
    Though it's meant to be really good for your health.
    I'll stick to kimchi and sauerkraut for my fermented veg stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
      Does this "it's a thing" preposition rule also apply to Christmas and Easter?
      That was my immediate thought. Not a logical ruling, really.

One of my books was published by a company in Chicago and the amount of irritating changes I was asked to make to the style drove me nuts: “Nobody says ‘in hospital’ - please change to ‘in the hospital’...’Couple of days’? What? No, no, it should be ‘couple days’!!” (Etc.)

In the end, I got so fed up with all this mangling of the language, I told them to take a ‘couple grand’ off my fee and get some staff member to do it. (Well, not as much as that, but y’know.)

Anyway - ‘mediocre chain restaurants’...

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        Against my better judgement I went to Frankie & Benny's tonight. .....

How do these places stay open?
        Turns out I won't be going there again. The Cardiff branches are slated for closure.

Comment

Anybody here joined the re-opened McDonalds UK drive thru queues that have been causing tailbacks and jams on approach roads to get a Big Mac or Nuggets fix? Probably not, I imagine.

Got caught up in some silly gridlock yesterday teatime whilst trying (and failing) to access an adjacent M&S food store.

Comment

Nope. I was just exploring if any of the street food markets near me were reopened, doesn't seem like it.

Comment

No, but the one that is just off the main roundabout out of Plymouth on my way home and is often subject to queues had traffic back past that roundabout and onto the slip roads. Two hours wait apparently. Trying to get home last night was madness.

Comment

I had a Nando's delivery last weekend. It was delicious.

Comment

This news shatters my hope in the possibility of a better world after Covid19.

(Edit: The McDonalds news, not Benjm going to Nando's)

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                    Anybody here joined the re-opened McDonalds UK drive thru queues that have been causing tailbacks and jams on approach roads to get a Big Mac or Nuggets fix? Probably not, I imagine.
                    Oh, if only you knew. The Mcdrives have stayed open in The Netherlands throughout the crisis, so it's a bit calmer. But getting through to make deliveries is often a painful process, especially where the car parks are barricaded off.

Of course being transport, where nothing ever goes wrong, no extra time is planned into schedules to allow for this.

Comment

I must admit that I find this queuing-hours-for-something-you-could-make-at-home-for-about-the-same-cost-which-would-taste-much-better quite baffling.

Comment

Walkers Crisps launched a new promotion not long after the start of lockdown where they have flavours associated with different restaurants e.g. Nando's Peri Peri Chicken flavor, Pizza Express American Hot flavour, in which the draw is that if you buy a multi pack you get a code to get a voucher for the chain in question, which I think I'm right in saying expires before the end of September.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                          I must admit that I find this queuing-hours-for-something-you-could-make-at-home-for-about-the-same-cost-which-would-taste-much-better quite baffling.
                          There are millions of people who never cook (microwaving etc doesn't count).

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                            When people have little else to do, they'll do that. See also the incredible queues for Ikea this week.

I'll admit to getting KFC drive throughs the last two Saturday lunchtimes with my daughter en route to the weekly supermarket trip. Each time it has been a 10 minute wait to get to the window and they have it quite well organised. The two of us can sit quite happily in a car chatting about fuck all, in a way that we wouldn't if we were sat in the kitchen eating homemade bad chicken as opposed to takeaway bad chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

There are millions of people who never cook (microwaving etc doesn't count).
                              Guilty as charged. I was so bad at home economics at school that I was actually excused it... fine by me, I could just go in the library for an hour and play Lemmings, Sensible Soccer and Wolfenstein 3D. No wonder I turned out the way I did.

Comment

The drive thru McDonalds in Leyland is situated on the same shopping estate as the town's LIDL, B&M and Morrison's. All the supwrmarkets and stores are open. Normally their coexistence causes no problem whatsover. The last two days since McDs opened up have seen that much tailbacked traffic of people trying to get their Big Mac fix that no-one's been able to get to the supermarkets, the whole town centre has been gridlocked and they've had uniformed coppers out directing traffic to turn around at the back of the queues and go home. Fucking madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

When people have little else to do, they'll do that. See also the incredible queues for Ikea this week.

I'll admit to getting KFC drive throughs the last two Saturday lunchtimes with my daughter en route to the weekly supermarket trip. Each time it has been a 10 minute wait to get to the window and they have it quite well organised. The two of us can sit quite happily in a car chatting about fuck all, in a way that we wouldn't if we were sat in the kitchen eating homemade bad chicken as opposed to takeaway bad chicken.

KFC with a 10-minute wait I can see, even though you can get some lovely breaded chicken varieties from M & S for a reasonable price and the just have to go in the oven for 30 minutes or so and get turned once. But if there's something unique or outstanding about the food I get it.

A McDonalds burger though!
                                  Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 05-06-2020, 12:21.

Comment

A KFC Zinger Tower burger is a very, very guilty pleasure of mine.

Comment

I walk past a McDonald's on my way to and from town, so I used to sometimes get an egg and cheese McMuffin from there after dropping the kids off, or get the kids a Happy Meal on the way back from swimming lessons. We have not missed it in the slightest over the last three months though. And as it's only open for drive thru and we don't have a car, we'll still not be getting any for a while.

Comment

KFC doesn't reach the status of "mediocre chain restaurant" does it?

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                          A KFC Zinger Tower burger is a very, very guilty pleasure of mine.
                                          Word, as it were.

Comment

The fast-food chains down the hill from me have had ridiculous, round-the-block drive through lines throughout the pandemic. Raising Canes, which is reasonable fried chicken, California icon In-n-Out, and homophobic god-botherers with excellent fried chicken and terrible spelling, Chick-fil-A, have totally been totally bunged up. Taco Hell round the corner has also been very busy. Oddly, McDonaldses and KFCs have been much less hectic.

Comment

I quite fancy a Big Mac but it won't be at the cost of endless wait and gridlock...I need to have a look how bad it is where I live, Tesco right next to it and the only exit point from industrial estate (where recycling center and a busy truck collection/delivery centre is...). Should be fun...

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                                Guilty as charged. I was so bad at home economics at school that I was actually excused it... fine by me, I could just go in the library for an hour and play Lemmings, Sensible Soccer and Wolfenstein 3D. No wonder I turned out the way I did.
                                                Jesus, I wish I'd been able to take home economics.

Wasting my time in double physics, I don't know...

Comment

All the fast-food places here have had their drive-thru open the entire lockdown. You can't go inside and you can't walk-up, but car service sometimes 24/7. No cash....all tap, generally.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post

Got caught up in some silly gridlock yesterday teatime whilst trying (and failing) to access an adjacent M&S food store.
                                                    You don't live in Bath, do you?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X