Mediocre chain restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

All this carbs with carbs is just making me think of Mam's cooking. To call it "one note" would suggest that there were any notes at all.

Living off that for twenty-odd years has fucked up my biology to the point where I go into some kind of toxic shock if I don't have a hefty amount of stodge every so often.

Comment

No disrespect to my mom's cooking, but I grew up thinking vegetables naturally came in tins. I also thought all coffee was instant, and that 'perked' coffee was some oddball anachronism that my nan made in a massive machine for her euchre group and nothing more.

Comment

I was somewhere a while back where they listed "Mac in cheese". Still haunted to this day.

Comment

That’s not wrong, though. The mac is “in” the cheese in some respects.

Comment

Oh man. I introduced my ex-wife to peas. To her they were horrible grey things out of a tin. She'd never had frozen, let alone fresh. It took a lot of convincing that they were the same thing but it would be a completely different experience.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                but I grew up thinking vegetables naturally came in tins
                Tinned veg is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                  Oh man. I introduced my ex-wife to peas. To her they were horrible grey things out of a tin. She'd never had frozen, let alone fresh. It took a lot of convincing that they were the same thing but it would be a completely different experience.
                  Yes, that's me there.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                    All this carbs with carbs is just making me think of Mam's cooking. To call it "one note" would suggest that there were any notes at all.

Living off that for twenty-odd years has fucked up my biology to the point where I go into some kind of toxic shock if I don't have a hefty amount of stodge every so often.
                    A fairly typical day's food for me in the 1970s:

Morning: Toast
                    Midday (school dinner): Meat pudding, mashed potato, peas or carrots; sponge pudding and custard
                    Evening: Ravioli/spaghetti hoops on toast

I don't think I had a bowel movement until shortly before my 'O' Levels.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                      I've never eaten macaroni and cheese but even I know that is clearly called macaroni and cheese. Logically "cheesy macaroni" would be possible but seemingly rejected back in the mists of time.
                      Come, come, ad, you may be a vegetarian but you do actually come from Britain. It has always been macaroni cheese here until the last 5-10 years. Even in that there North that they have nowadays.

Macaroni in cheese does actually make more sense but it's macaroni cheese. Always has been, always will be.

As for the double carbs thing, as I mention on the national dish thread, Wales' should probably be half and half which is half chips and half rice. Sounds mental but, like a chip butty, it works when you have it. I was quite impressed to see it served at a Manics after show once.

Comment

I honestly never heard of it as Macaroni Cheese (until really recently and then I assumed it was a misspeaking). In fact I never heard of it growing up at all, and if I had to guess I;d say that it was one of those things imported from the US in the late 70s early 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                          A fairly typical day's food for me in the 1970s:

Morning: Toast
                          Midday (school dinner): Meat pudding, mashed potato, peas or carrots; sponge pudding and custard
                          Evening: Ravioli/spaghetti hoops on toast

I don't think I had a bowel movement until shortly before my 'O' Levels.
                          That's not too dissimilar to what I was having (except I had a lot more chips - I mean A LOT MORE) and I wasn't even born then!

Comment

Inca has spoken of shave ice, which sounds horrible. Not 'shaved ice', which makes sense. But 'shave ice'. Ugh. (It's ground ice with flavoring on...like a slushy / slurpee).

Comment

Going to an Indian and ordering ‘half chips/half rice’ with your curry is fughing disgraceful.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned the one curry house in Tenby that in 1996 offered me ‘Paneer, but made with cheddar - they don’t much like that Indian stuff ‘round ‘ere you see...’

Comment

I've had cheese-fries in the US before. They purport to be poutine, but are just shredded cheddar cheese covered in gravy over fries.

Comment

My works' canteen does things like lasagne & garlic bread & chips as a commonplace, so triple carbs I would say, is nowt. Has anyone come across quadruple carbs? No-one I knew even thought about 'carbs' as a thing until about 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    ...just shredded cheddar cheese covered in gravy over fries.
                                    Are you sure you weren't in Wrexham?

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                                      My works' canteen does things like lasagne & garlic bread & chips as a commonplace, so triple carbs I would say, is nowt. Has anyone come across quadruple carbs? No-one I knew even thought about 'carbs' as a thing until about 2017.
                                      I’m sure many cafes that offer their own variation on a ‘full English’ are dishing up quad-carbs on a daily basis. I’ve certainly seen (if not eaten) breakfasts featuring potato cakes, chips, fried bread and white toast. (One could perhaps argue that it’s only two, given that bread and potato feature twice each.)

Comment

A chickpea dhal with half rice half chips, naan and poppadoms would actially count as 5 carbs. (Poppadoms being made from lentils)

Comment

I remember how puzzled I was by being asked if I wanted chips with my pasta at a work canteen in my early days in the UK...

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                            My ol’ man used to make macaroni cheese and dish it up with mashed potato. Double-carb madness. (This was the 1960s/70s, however.)
                                            My mother-in-law's standard offering when I visited was Macaroni cheese, jacket potato and garlic bread. My going vegan has denied her the chance to quadruple carb, but I'm sure she'll find a way.

Comment

I've had macaroni cheese and chips in a pub before. It was delicious and I have no regrets.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                                “Marrowfat” peas, whatever that meant. Perverse child that I was, I quite liked them.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  I honestly never heard of it as Macaroni Cheese (until really recently and then I assumed it was a misspeaking). In fact I never heard of it growing up at all, and if I had to guess I;d say that it was one of those things imported from the US in the late 70s early 80s.
                                                  You never experienced the joy of Heinz tinned Macaroni Cheese? Toast optional.

Comment

Steak with macaroni cheese is a thing of wonder that I try to limit to once per year.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X