Costa Coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costa Coffee

Thieving bastard HR scum steal money from employees.

​​​​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49292051

Proof positive HR are worthless filth to a man and a woman

Ah, but they make nice lattes though

Comment

I'd imagine that some places charge you for training if you don't stay employed with them for set period of time. Like, if you spend a week learning to become a skilled barista and then fuck off to work at your cousin's cafe or something.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
        I'd imagine that some places charge you for training if you don't stay employed with them for set period of time. Like, if you spend a week learning to become a skilled barista and then fuck off to work at your cousin's cafe or something.
        Whut?

You turn up.

You are employed.

You are permitted to resign and give notice at at any time you decide

Only a CUNT thinks it's acceptable to charge you for training to do your job.

Comment

Okay...but it's only training to do your job if you do your job. If you accept the training and then leave, that's a bit of cunt's trick too, isn't it?

Comment

This doesn't look like that, of course. It looks like they're just a shitty holdings company operating franchises like assholes.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Whut?

You turn up.

You are employed.

You are permitted to resign and give notice at at any time you decide

Only a CUNT thinks it's acceptable to charge you for training to do your job.

It's fairly common practice in the engineering sector. Training can cost thousands of pounds. The amount you pay reduces over time, usually 2/3 years.

And, I do wish people would read their contract before accepting the position.

Comment

There's a real problem in the NHS with doctors graduating then fucking off to New Zealand or Australia where they get paid more to work part time and live in big beach front condos. The on the job training in hospitals often costs the NHS money because they are getting unpaid labour in return for the time of experienced staff.

Comment

I guess it is just the Costa making (rather average) coffee.

Comment

I'm with Guy, you'll be shocked to hear. Read. Whatevs.

I must now read the article.

Comment

Ok read it. Yeah, bosses are scum.

Comment

It's the beauty (well, ugliness) of the franchise model that the parent company can just turn round and say "it's just a rogue franchisee, we'll have a word with them, but it's nothing to do with us".

I didn't realise Whitbread had divested Costa (to Coca-Cola). Doesn't make much difference to me, although Costa is my coffee chain of choice every six months or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          There's a real problem in the NHS with doctors graduating then fucking off to New Zealand or Australia where they get paid more to work part time and live in big beach front condos. The on the job training in hospitals often costs the NHS money because they are getting unpaid labour in return for the time of experienced staff.
                          This trickles down though. The NHS loses doctors to Australia and then takes them from India or Romania wherever.

Anyway, have you heard the hilarious* business joke?

Finance Director: what if we train our staff then they leave?
                          Training Director : what if we don't train them and they stay?

(*in the context of business jokes it's about as good as they get, though admittedly not likely to get an actual laugh)

Comment

Yes but the quality of replacements isn't as high. There's a reason Australia and NZ target NHS trained doctors.

Comment

There's also a reason that when you walk into a hospital over here there are wall to wall posters saying "come to work in Spain! Italy! The UK! Canada!" aimed at the nurses and the doctors. Mentioning salaries.

The system is fucked whichever way you look at it and at the end of the day rich countries end up with the best staff and the rest of us get whoever is left

Comment

Other than the complete eradication of inequality or countries building walls to keep their people from leaving, I’m not sure how that can be fixed.

Comment

Well there used to be apprenticeship systems. Where a novice was trained beyond the level he/she needed to be to actually do the job, but was indentured from four to eight years. His masters taught him, but also gained several years benefit from his expertise until he became a journeyman. Then he could bugger off and get a job where he might do better. It worked pretty well for a few hundred years. With a bit of tweaking it might do again.
                                  Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 20-08-2019, 04:29.

Comment

The best way to retain staff after training them is to pay them a decent wage and treat them like a fucking human being instead of just another resource.

Comment

It's 'tight as', but doesn't surprise me. How anyone can be expected to live on less than £10k a year in this country is beyond me.

I don't think that expecting a decent discretionary period of employment from an individual post-training is unreasonable, however - but I do have a serious problem with staff having to top up a low till. I mean, what the actual? Unless you (as employer) can actually prove that a member of staff is responsible for discrepancies in the takings, then surely that's a criminal offence in itself?

Comment

Well.....yeah....but....when you put someone in charge of the till, they need to keep track of the money. You can't just say "yeah, it's fine" every time the till doesn't balance. When I was in the bar business, our problem was till overages; bar staff would charge for the drink, make change, and neglect to ring it through. So some nights that till would have an extra hundred dollars in it. But if they get wind of that, they'll start to 'pull' from the till, knowing that it'll still be over but they'll make another $40 or $50 for the night. Meanwhile, your liquor costs are way off because the revenue doesn't match the usage.

Comment

Well, if that's happening, then somebody in charge clearly isn't doing his/her job.

Sure, there are dishonest people out there, but making an innocent and hard-working member of staff scapegoat for your f***-ups is frankly outrageous.

Comment

Um...but if the till is short, it's usually due to the person working the till....not management. I mean, unless I'm missing the point here.

Comment

The quote was: '"if the till or safe was (sic) ever incorrect, the staff that were in had to make it correct again using their own money," said a former employee'.

Which was a complaint rather than merely documentation - ie, she didn't think it was fair, and I agree with her. It's flawed because all it would then take is for one dodgy individual to snaffle £10 or whatever, then if there were four working the till, he or she still makes £7.50 extra. (Unless I'm missing something.)

Comment

I can guarantee that if the till was ever up the company policy wouldn't be to share it out amongst the staff.

Comment

I'd bet most till discrepancies are likely a result of low intelligence or disinterest rather than dishonesty. It's the result of employing teenagers on an age limited minimum wage who do the job because of the lack of opportunities available to them and giving them responsibilities that should be the preserve of those on a more senior level. All to save a couple of quid an hour on wages.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X