Owen Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owen Jones

attacked by the far right on the street.

The BBC doesn't call it an attack on "a journalist" but a "Labour Party activist".

Really? Fucking hell. (At the activist bit.)

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/ayocaesar/status/1162820076854284288?s=21[/URL]

Comment

I notice the comments are trying to deny it was far-right motivated.

Comment

Judging by what I’ve read here and on Facebook, etc, he has a fair few detractors on the left, as well. (Perhaps not to the extent that they’d try to put him in hospital, however.)

But that is an unnecessarily provocative headline, yes.

Comment

Perhaps not.

Comment

This is an awful situation. Hope they catch and interrogate those behind it.

The description of Jones as an activist makes no sense. Although it might be fun it henceforth the likes of Julia Hartley Brewer were described as far right activists.

Anyone know what it was that David Quantick tweeted about this? Just curious. Seems he spotted some delicious irony in a young man getting beaten up.

Comment

There do appear to be a large number of "wingco's centrist mates" who loathe Jones with a passion and have said things in the past that would imply sympathy with his attackers* (though I am sure they will probably be slightly regretful of their rhetoric now). Quantick would be one. Though obviously he's less regretful if he made some gloating tweet.

(*indeed I see Spearmint Rhino has made this observation on Facebook)

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                  Is it a bit like "white supremacy" and "concentration camps"?

If there isn't a public declaration by the Nazi Party of England then it isn't "far-right motivated"?
                  Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 18-08-2019, 09:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                    Luke to thread...

Comment

Owen Jones is fantastic ( and was very pleasant when I asked him for an autograph for a friend).

I do fear for his life though.

Comment

On a tangent...over in Belfast my cousin Tina Calder (a local journalist and publisher) has issued 'Angels with Blue Faces' by her friend and colleague, the recently murdered Lyra McKee.

https://twitter.com/ExcaliburPress/s...94365600108544

Comment

https://twitter.com/jenniebujold/status/1163039894060621825?s=21

by all means make this into an attacks on Owen Jones and ihrer Journalists Thread- Snake can we rename?
                          Last edited by Nefertiti2; 18-08-2019, 17:28.

Comment

Jolyon is a dick.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Tom_Gann/status/1163017806142685184?s=20

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/quantick/status/1154744907241799681?s=21[/URL]

Comment

I just unblocked quantick and put in the search bar @quantick owen jones He really is hatefully obsessed.

I've never liked quantick, as I've said before. Met him in a couple of social situations where he was up the arse of the musicians I was with, and laughed at my jokes, so I thought he was OK. He started picking on me online and seemed to throw a wobbler because I made a joke that got more likes than his. Really fragile ego. Still, I hope no-one beats him up or anything.

Comment

Quantick is vile. He can't be anyone's actual mate, can he? No matter how centrist.

Comment

J Maugham donated to the anti-trans hate group WPUK and claimed that he didn't realise they were a touch dodgy. He is an utter buffoon at best, a pompous and somewhat nasty dick.

Jones seems like a fucking decent and brave bloke and the shit he gets is so much a legacy of my generation's 'cool not to care' edgy crap from the 90s. All those commentators, Quantick and the like, hating him for actually caring about people they think are a bit yuck, the poors and Muslims and such.

Comment

(To Ton Ton) Well, he's got that "funny boys club" thing going on.

Comment

They obviously hate Owen Jones because they feel threatened by him, whatever their attempts to belittle him. I don't always agree with him but more power to his elbow. Anyone who can't bring themselves to condemn an attack like this without a snide nudge or wink obliviates their own credibility to comment on anything,

Comment

Fuck's sake, all this needs now is for dylan moran to attack greta thunberg, Armando Ianucci to become Salvini's second in command, and Karen from outnumbered to stab Diane Abbott, and I think that will basically be it for the last 25 years of comedy. What the fucking fuck is wrong with these people. I don't necessarily agree with everything OJ writes, but it is abundantly clear, particularly if you've ever seen him speak, that a) his heart, and b) usually his brain are in very much the right place, and c) he seems interested in other people, and while part c) should be trivial, it is an increasingly rare thing in a public sphere increasingly dominated by sociopaths and monsters.

That Ash sarkar tweet at the top is terrifying. What the fucking fuck is going on in the news section of the BBC?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Is it a bit like "white supremacy" and "concentration camps"?

If there isn't a public declaration by the Nazi Party of England then it isn't "far-right motivated"?
                                              Well we can rely on at least one OTFer to muddy the waters and claim the fascist thugs might just be mentally ill.

Comment

We have been talking about the BBC for a while, berba.

The editor of Radio 4's main news programme, was chosen by Boris Johnson to edit the Standard when he was Mayor of London.

She recently wrote this for the Financial Times
                                                Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found here.
                                                https://www.ft.com/content/e3969142-...3-ee5cbb98ed36

Are the private lives of politicians an oxymoron in an age without privacy? Conservative minister Ben Wallace tweeted then deleted a summary of the “domestic incident” — couple have row, leftie neighbours shop politician to the Guardian. But it soon turned into a Tom Wolfe lightning rod for London’s culture wars. It encompassed patriarchal power, a politicised public, postcode trespassing, police behaviour, housing, even parking. It was Boris Johnson who, as mayor, taunted the American embassy for not paying its parking dues. Pictured in the back of his own car were his old, brightly coloured running shorts, like a merry cast-off self, before he was confined to wearing prime ministerial suits. The knowing political thing to say about Boris Johnson before this blew up was that the only thing that could stop him becoming prime minister was Boris Johnson. He has read up on his Shakespeare, having embarked on a biography, so will understand that character is destiny. I have known him in each of his incarnations: as journalist, as Mayor of London and now, much more distantly, as candidate for prime minister. There is so much past to pick over, for his fortunes have been dramatic. His high point was the Olympics. It was the nearest he could get to being an emperor. I remember watching with him the Paralympics wheelchair rugby, which he particularly enjoyed because it was both rough and brave. After the Olympics he strove for more monuments and diversions, which suddenly looked like bread and circuses. Londoners had tired of a lord of misrule and voted instead for a lawyer. Johnson altered people’s horizons in London. The skyline literally changed. And in the aftermath came the tomb in the sky of Grenfell, which symbolised a tragic lack of rules and regulation. Sadiq Khan was a corrective to Boris Johnson. My monks would say that highest ambition should not be confused with joy. I could not say, but I do remember a hot June day, a couple of years ago, when I reckon Boris Johnson was happy. He was foreign secretary and so had the run of Chevening. His now-estranged wife Marina Wheeler organised a birthday party for him there. The garden filled with old friends and colleagues from university, from his and my time at the Telegraph and from mayoral days. There was a game of rounders. And then everyone jumped in the lake. Marina was the matriarch that day and also the political map for her husband. She is from a liberal family, the daughter of the BBC’s Charles Wheeler, once based in Brussels, and yet she helped persuade her husband to back Brexit. As a QC she can explain sovereignty. As the daughter of an Indian mother, she understands about countries facing wrenching rifts; she is writing a book about Partition. I think the Kobo Daishi saying that best recalls that June day is: “If the surroundings are serene, the mind is clear.”
                                                I imagine questions would be asked about this level of sycophancy in North Korea

Comment

Here’s why they hate him

[URL]https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1163175031750500354?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                                  X