Yay!! PAAAAAAAAARRT-TAAAAY!!!
    +1.

Comment

Decorations, yesssss.

https://twitter.com/VelcroCow2/status/1142821416586420224

Comment

Great news DM, made up for you.

Comment

That's great news, DM. Don't blow all your cash in the cheese shop.

Comment

Fantastic news DM. Have you met any neighbours yet? Hopefully you inherit some nice friendly welcoming ones or ones that mind their own business and don't make a sound, depending which you prefer.

Comment

Excellent news!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                Fantastic news DM. Have you met any neighbours yet? Hopefully you inherit some nice friendly welcoming ones or ones that mind their own business and don't make a sound, depending which you prefer.
                Well, there's a chap who used to live in the hostel, who I actually get on with, so that's nice. He's a few doors away. Kansas City Royals fan. When he moved in a neighbour brought him round some couscous as a welcome. He's been there a couple of months and has no complaints, says it's pretty quiet with not much traffic noise etc. The majority of people I saw were Muslim women with their kids, which is the best possible result from both a nice quiet friendly neighbours point of view and the 'is anyone liable to hassle me for being trans' point of view (can't recall if I've mentioned it on here, but in my experience black women and other WoC are more consistently and predictably accepting and respectful than any other demographic). I believe they're the people who look after the green bits, which are very well maintained.

My flat is pretty close to a pub, but I don't think it's a rowdy or late night one. I'm not that fussed about noise anyway, I tend to expect it in a city.

Comment

Great stuff, dm! I hope you'll be a very happy in your new home.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

Well, there's a chap who used to live in the hostel, who I actually get on with, so that's nice. He's a few doors away. Kansas City Royals fan. When he moved in a neighbour brought him round some couscous as a welcome. He's been there a couple of months and has no complaints, says it's pretty quiet with not much traffic noise etc. The majority of people I saw were Muslim women with their kids, which is the best possible result from both a nice quiet friendly neighbours point of view and the 'is anyone liable to hassle me for being trans' point of view (can't recall if I've mentioned it on here, but in my experience black women and other WoC are more consistently and predictably accepting and respectful than any other demographic). I believe they're the people who look after the green bits, which are very well maintained.

My flat is pretty close to a pub, but I don't think it's a rowdy or late night one. I'm not that fussed about noise anyway, I tend to expect it in a city.
                    Sounds great, and you seem really positive about it. Here's hoping it's a huge success.

Comment

Have you tried Emmaus for furniture? I've not been myself but I know they train homeless people to restore furniture and then sell it cheaply to people in need. I couldn't find exact details of how they decide who can buy it or how much it costs, but their website is here, maybe you can phone them:

https://www.emmaus.org.uk/lambeth/sh...ure_superstore

Comment

Ooh, cheers Balders.

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                        Sounds great, and you seem really positive about it.
                        Yeah, I'm a bit surprised actually. When they texted me last week to say 'come and view it' I freaked out a bit and had to do a lot of sleeping, but now I'm over that I'm just looking forward to it. One of the other women viewing seemed pretty overwhelmed, poor thing. Living in a hostel isn't exactly like being in hospital or a home, but you can still get institutionalised and the prospect of having to sort out utilities, furniture etc. can seem extremely daunting. But I've been here 3.5 years and my friend here has recently fallen out with me, and it definitely feels like time to go. I've checked that I'll still be entitled to homeless-person-recording-studio-time* even after leaving the hostel. I'll still be seeing my MH social worker for a while (I think) and I'll also get a 'floating support worker' to replace my support worker here. They don't just dump you on your own.

*I'm aware I might be making being homeless in central London sound exciting, but I'm just lucky

Comment

You need some high-end punk ceramics to make it seem like home.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea, please post or message me your website details.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                              Have you tried Emmaus for furniture? I've not been myself but I know they train homeless people to restore furniture and then sell it cheaply to people in need. I couldn't find exact details of how they decide who can buy it or how much it costs, but their website is here, maybe you can phone them:

https://www.emmaus.org.uk/lambeth/sh...ure_superstore
                              Emmaus are great for furniture. I got a load from the one in Brighton, and they delivered for a small charge.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                Sounds like a good idea, please post or message me your website details.
                                Don't be daft, *prezzies*. Will see what else I have spare, but you've caught me at a bad time.

Comment

I've given them stuff before, Emmaus. Mum was a big fan, down in Brighton.

Comment

This is the best news dm, congratulations and enjoy it.

Comment

Shelter also do furniture ironically enough.

Well done also.

Comment

This is great News DM!!!

Comment

Top news.

Comment

YAY!!!!

Comment

What she said. Hope it goes well

Comment

That's brilliant news DM. The best news I've seen anywhere in a week.

Seconded on BHF and Emmaus, and my Son-in-Law says don't forget Freecycle.

Comment

Made up for you, delicatemoth. i hope it's even better than it seems. Most if not all of the best places i've lived in have been the ones i visited first; i hope that's a good omen for you.

Comment

I don't know the backstory here or what zone 1 covers but am glad you got a place! That's great.

Agree with you on the $5k bikes. Apparently there is a whole subculture of people with $100,000 worth of bikes in their garage/shed/ "bike room" who think nothing of dropping $2,000 or more for just the frame. I know a few people like that, but not many. I don't understand the desire to make cycling complicated.

Is it typical in the UK for apartments not to come with all the kitchen appliances?

What a pain in the ass.

I know that's typical in other places.

Apparently, one of the handful of things that is better about the US than Europe is that even sketchy apartments here will come with a working stove, a working refrigerator and, depending on where it is and the price, a working washer and dryer (though not in NYC, as we've discussed) The same goes for a house/condo you buy. It's taken for granted that the owners are going to leave the heavier appliances. In some cases - for example, in places that are almost always being used as vacation homes - a lot more furniture will be left in the place, whether the new people really want it or not. Both of the houses my parents have owned in Delaware came with a lot of random stuff ranging from chairs to cutlery. Some of which has become mine.

Either way, its factored into the price, so it just makes it easier for the new tenants/owners to not have to find a way to lug these heavy items from their old place to the new place. And even if you can find a way to move those things to the new place, it might not fit in the space allotted.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X