No announcement yet.

Happy Left-handers day, everyone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right hand throwing, right foot kicking, goofy foot skating. Everything with the right, except tying shoelaces and dealing cards, both skills being taught to me by my southpaw dad.

I mean, he taught me more than that, like, but those two specific things were definitely him.

Comment

How the fuck can a lefty throw right handed? I can barely move my right arm consistently and I'm functionally ambidextrous.
      Write, guitar, drum, fork, spoon, racquet sports, throw, bowl all left handed.
      Bat (cricket, golf, baseball,) eat with knife and fork right handed.
      I can use a mouse with both, and do to avoid rsi.
      But throw with my right? Not a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
        How the fuck can a lefty throw right handed? I can barely move my right arm consistently and I'm functionally ambidextrous.
        I'm going with practice from a young age, given that kids can't throw with either arm initially. It's a learned skill.

Comment

Yeah but there are things that come naturally or unnaturally.
          I couldn't with all the practice in the world play a guitar right handed, for example. The wiring is just not there.
          I kick right footed mind. Feet don't appear to be linked in the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
            Right hand throwing, right foot kicking, goofy foot skating. Everything with the right, except tying shoelaces and dealing cards, both skills being taught to me by my southpaw dad.

I mean, he taught me more than that, like, but those two specific things were definitely him.
            How do you tie shoelaces with only one hand?

Comment

Eminently possible and quite easy when you know how.

Comment

Same way as lorry drivers roll fags.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                  There used to be a left handed shop in central London which claimed to have been the first such in the world. It closed some years ago but still exists as an online business
                  Aye, in Soho by the Regent Street quadrant.

I still can't use a left-handed tin opener, screwdriver etc

Comment

It's the screws that have the handedness, surely?

So you use whichever hand you need to screw in or screw out?

Comment

And I can't use a right-handed tin-opener that's one of the bladed ones rather than the one with the wheels and the butterfly thing you turn, which I wouldn't be able to use a lh version of.

Comment

I learnt to play the guitar right-handed, unfortunately. No matter how much I practice, I never move past mediocre. Apart from that, I am all left-handed. I am able to write like Beak's father, although I have never been in a situation where it has been necessary.

Comment

Another ciotóg here- myself, my wife and our first born all lefties. I just tried the upside down writing thing- it's not as disconcerting as I expected and the results aren't much worse than my awful right side up writing. I'm left handed for writing, snooker, throwing, golf etc, use mouse, tin opener, scissors right handed because it's just handier to get used to the rightie version. For football I'm predominantly right footed (but a lot more two footed than most) but I put that down to being 'trained' that way at an impressionable age by a young neighbour who convinced my I was kicking with the 'wrong' foot. Insert you're own jokes here.

Comment

Practically all cans in Spain are of the ring-pull or similar kind; no tin openers needed.

Comment

In cricket I bowl with my left and throw with my right. I cannot do the reverse.

Comment

Presumably you are a spinner?

Comment

Another lefty here. Curious exceptions being holding a cricket/baseball bat & golf club (not that I often them these days), and using a knife & fork right-handed style. My handwriting is typically appalling, to the extent I have to avoid joined-up writing to be legible.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    Presumably you are a spinner?
                                    I wish. Just slow left arm but not quite as slow as the Romanian.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                      Another lefty here. Curious exceptions being holding a cricket/baseball bat & golf club (not that I often them these days), and using a knife & fork right-handed style. My handwriting is typically appalling, to the extent I have to avoid joined-up writing to be legible.
                                      Doesn't everyone in the world use knife and fork right handed style, leftie or not?

The big question is how do you grasp the knife, posh style or oik?

Comment

Another leftie here (ciotógach where I come from). Probably based on the one thing that I was slightly above average at (Goalkeeping or, perhaps more accurately, shot-stopping) I developed a pet theory that left handers had faster reflexes, mainly by looking for it in tennis (McEnroe, Navratilova - there are others) and I still look for it when a goalie kicks a ball.

Comment

Some lefties I know just can’t hold a knife comfortably in their right hand (but then neither can my daughter, who’s right-handed), but I don’t know if that’s a general thing, tbh.

I’m quite posh with my cutlery usage, though I get raised eyebrows sometimes from the wife about my clumsy spooning (fnarr).

Comment

And another thing - I was brought up to write right-handed but now write left-handed (made the effort a few years ago). My left-handed writing is so much neater/nicer/legible than my right-handed scrawls. A bit confusing for some when filling forms with one hand and signing with the other.

Comment

Counted 15 violinists/fiddlers on stage once and all were playing right handed - I've yet to see a fiddle played left-handed. Any lefties here that play a musical instrument and do you play left-handed if so? Or, even more unusual, any righties that play an instrument left-handed?

Comment

Originally posted by mmm View Post
                                                Counted 15 violinists/fiddlers on stage once and all were playing right handed - I've yet to see a fiddle played left-handed. Any lefties here that play a musical instrument and do you play left-handed if so? Or, even more unusual, any righties that play an instrument left-handed?
                                                You can't play violin left handed in an orchestra.

You could play it as a soloist if you were so minded

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Doesn't everyone in the world use knife and fork right handed style, leftie or not?

The big question is how do you grasp the knife, posh style or oik?
                                                  Americans place the fork in their right hand after cutting, no? Seems like the biggest waste of time.

im sure I hold my weapons oik style, but don't know for sure (or care, really- I'm lucky if I do "fine dining" more than a couple of times a year).

Comment

A large majority do, yes.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X