Happy Left-handers day, everyone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Left-handers day, everyone.

And special greetings to my fellow southpaws.

This is sinister...

Comment

Don't be gauche, clutey

Comment

*waves*

*gets burned as a witch*

Comment

Guy and I will fight them off Snakey.

I was briefly forced to write right-handed (in 1970, in Malawi). My Da (also LH) threatened to punch the headmaster

Comment

During a long train journey back from a match somewhere in London, my father showed me what he assured me was a special talent of the left-handed - the ability to write upside-down. That is to say, upside-down and right-to-left, so that the text would appear normal to somebody facing you. Apparently it was helpful to him when explaining this that or the other to patients' parents during a consultation.

I accused him of talking shite, but he challenged me to try and stone me if I can't write just as legibly upside-down as I can with my (admittedly atrocious) rightside-up handwriting.

I want all of our leftys to give it a shot, and let us know how you get on.

Comment

I've always felt that it should be 'westpaw'. Suppose it depends which way you're facing.

I'm right-handed but can draw and paint with my left hand, for what that's worth.

Comment

Is there a standard orientation for cricket grounds?

Southpaw derives from the fact that baseball fields were traditionally oriented to the east, so the batter would not be facing the setting sun (games traditionally started in mid to late afternoon). As a result, a left handed pitcher's delivery wascoming from the south.

That obviously doesn't work for cricket given the two batsmen, so I can see why the term is confusing.

As it happens, throwing a baseball is the primary thing that I do left handed.

Comment

Slow left arm. And I bowl as well

Comment

Originally posted by beak View Post
                    I want all of our leftys to give it a shot, and let us know how you get on.
                    Oh... I though that was just me being able to do it.

Comment

Left hand write, left foot kick, right arm throw, right hand bat.

Makes my general confusion with life.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

Oh... I though that was just me being able to do it.
                        Thank god I didn't discover this power as a callow and impetuous youth.

Comment

That's even more curious than my situation (which I attribute to being naturally left handed, but also legally blind in my right eye).

One would think that you would be able to develop ambidextrous abilities easier than most. When I played tennis as a kid, I used to switch hands rather than hit a backhand. I've also bowled several times while changing hands every frame.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            That's even more curious than my situation (which I attribute to being naturally left handed, but also legally blind in my right eye).
                            So you are in fact...Columbo!

Comment

Falk had a glass eye since he was a small child. My ocular disability is rather less obvious.

Comment

Is there a standard orientation for cricket grounds?

Southpaw derives from the fact that baseball fields were traditionally oriented to the east, so the batter would not be facing the setting sun (games traditionally started in mid to late afternoon). As a result, a left handed pitcher's delivery wascoming from the south.

That obviously doesn't work for cricket given the two batsmen, so I can see why the term is confusing.

As it happens, throwing a baseball is the primary thing that I do left handed.
                                I do everything lefty except throw a baseball and bat. Very much a Plissken here.

I am not pleased about this about this unfortunate outcome of being parented by a rightist with their bigoted ways, not least because I suspect I could build up the muscle memory in about three months to do both lefty, but who has the time? Plus I gotta buy a new glove.

Comment

All left hand here. But batting left-handed means having a dominant right hand, weirdly enough.

Comment

Left handed except for scissors. Can't get the buggers to work at all with my left.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                      Left handed except for scissors. Can't get the buggers to work at all with my left.
                                      Nobody can get scissors to work with their left hand

Any more than they can with tin openers.

Comment

You need left handed implements.

Surely those are available in the UK.

Comment

Left hand write, right foot kick, right hand throw, left hand snooker cue

Comment

I am left handed, as are the oldest two of my four children.

Comment

I broke my right wrist badly when I was about 12 and had to take all my school notes with my left hand. I got reasonably good at writing over the several weeks my arm was in a cast, but didn't keep going with the ability once my right hand was healed. I also used to delight in writing letters in mirror writing or upside down or left to right.

Comment

Had a cast for 9 weeks aged 15 on my left arm after a severe break, did my prelim exams for Standard Grade right handed (after trying and rejecting the use of a scribe then a shitty primitive portable word processor thing). My writing looked like an 7/8 year old's just learning joined up, but I got fairly quick at it.

Comment

You need left handed implements.

Surely those are available in the UK.
                                                  There used to be a left handed shop in central London which claimed to have been the first such in the world. It closed some years ago but still exists as an online business.

I may not be that strongly left handed. Writing aside, if tools or equipment require right handed use I can use them that way without particular difficulty.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X