No announcement yet.

Late Capitalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I meant that boredom isn't necessarily implied because everyone has a universal income is it? The things that people like to do but have trouble making a living out of them: make up stories, paint, dance, invent, run, swim, play and so on become more possible don't they?

Comment

I think that's very much dependent on how much UBI is. Unemployed people have plenty of free time, but their benefits payments are usually far too low to allow for any of that.

Personally I don't agree with UBI as it currently seems to be proposed. It seems to me the better option is job sharing, where 2 people work 20 hrs a week and UBI tops up their income so they get the same money as a 40hr a week job. At least then people are actually doing something.

Comment

Sounds like the Judge Dredd world of poverty and boredom.

Comment

I like the Expanse series as it feels like a believable futureworld setting. (The stories themselves are hit and miss. The first 2 books are great.)

Comment

It gets even more interesting after the first two books. Whichever one where they find the ring. I think that’s the third one.

Comment

Originally posted by ooh aah View Post
              I think that's very much dependent on how much UBI is. Unemployed people have plenty of free time, but their benefits payments are usually far too low to allow for any of that.
              Yeah, I think this is how they (James SA Corey is the pen name of two people) imagine it. A lot of people on “basic” have side hustles.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                It gets even more interesting after the first two books. Whichever one where they find the ring. I think that’s the third one.
                I found that one got quite tedious with all the coups and counter-soups on the big ship and stuff. I've read the fourth one and will probably carry on but the third one almost killed it for me.

Comment

I listened to them all on Audible. Maybe that makes it better. The only one that wasn’t great was the one where they first establish the new colony. I think that’s number 4. The performance on that one isn’t great. But the others are well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                    I listened to them all on Audible. Maybe that makes it better. The only one that wasn’t great was the one where they first establish the new colony. I think that’s number 4. The performance on that one isn’t great. But the others are well done.
                    They re-recorded that one with the same guy who narrated all the others. It's much better now.
                    Wen I first listened to it with the other narrator I had to up the speed to 1.25x to minimise the weird mid-sentence pauses he kept putting in.
                    If you re-download it you should get the new version.

Please note: The original recording has now been replaced with a new performance by Jefferson Mays. If you own this audiobook, simply re-download it from your library to access the new recording.
                    From the Audible site
                    Last edited by hobbes; 10-08-2019, 21:38.

Comment

Thanks for that info!!

Comment

Back on topic

[URL]https://twitter.com/chakrabortty/status/1160905322866925572?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Comment

This is one of those things where somebody needs to sue. I understand the family doesn't want to profit from this tragedy and all that, but often the only incentive big companies have to behave ethically is avoiding massive lawsuits. They can give the money to charity. This is why it's good that The Rainmaker is still on cable all the time.

Comment

I suppose this is as good a thread as any. A takedown of WeWork.

https://www.profgalloway.com/wewtf

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/dadbodextreme/status/1193617005275860992?s=21[/URL]

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/dtraynier/status/1193946002144813056?s=21[/URL]

Comment

We're going to need a whole lot of esso garage roofs and rope.

Comment

Less late capitalism, more late feudalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                        We're going to need a whole lot of esso garage roofs and rope.
                                        esso garages?

Comment

Where Mussolinini's body was strung up in Piazzale Loreto, though I thought it was Standard Oil

Comment

In the only place I lived in where I couldn’t control the heat, the problem was always that it was way too hot and dry.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/dsquareddigest/status/1195249773890211840[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                              X