Virtual telepathy is on its way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual telepathy is on its way

It's small steps so far but you can see how this will mushroom. Once we can all think words onto a screen, next will be the program that reverses the words back into thought, and hey presto we're thinking to each other. Over distance. The potential is enormous.
    Study funded by Facebook aims to improve communication with paralysed patients

If it’s as reliable as google translate I wouldn’t rush to get involved

Comment

I thought someone would say that.

Comment

Heavy emphasis on the small steps. I've yet to read the full paper, but from the reporting, it sounds much more akin to what we're already doing with prosthetics than to language processing.

a) It's dependent on motor control impulses, like (most) neural-prosthetic interfaces.

b) It uses a very limited set of pre-defined phrases, not parts of speech which could be used in a generative fashion.

In other words, it's learning to associate a pattern of motor-control neural activity with a set of symbols (and is still only 61% accurate out of a 24 symbol set). Those symbols could just as well be "pinch" of "raise arm" as "I would like some water".

It's certainly fascinating and encouraging, and I'd be curious to know if they simulated training the system on patients who couldn't otherwise communicate, as that seems like an extra layer of difficulty altogether.
        Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 31-07-2019, 08:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
          Once we can all think words onto a screen, next will be the program that reverses the words back into thought, and hey presto we're thinking to each other. Over distance. The potential is enormous.
          How's that an advantage over current technology?

Surely the obvious application is communication with machines, assuming they can develop a product that doesn't need the user to stick electrodes on their heads.

Comment

Fascinating stuff and I can see the practical advantages but I suppose the drawback is that if thoughts are being translated directly to language there's always the danger that god Jodie Comer was gorgeous in Killing Eve last night promotion we'll be lucky to get to the playoffs Johnson you fucking twat and the meaning will be completely lost.

Comment

The red wire or the green wire, lassie?

Woof

Boom

Back to the drawing board

Comment

I'd like to sleep with your wife

Smack

Comment

Looking forward to the day I stand a bit too close to a bus-stop and it starts beaming adverts directly into my brain.

Comment

Working...
                  X