Turkish Barbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkish Barbers

My sister-in-law lives in Malvern and tells me they have a few Turkish barbers around there. I was wondering if they had become more common in the UK of late, although I can also imagine some would have migrated from Cyprus.

I had my first ever Turkish barber experience three days ago in Kapadokya (Cappadocia) and it was excellent, probably on the same level as the Greek one I had in Rhodes but with the bonus of it being outdoors overlooking one of the most beautiful landscapes I have ever seen. I feel, however, that I missed out by never having one in my country of birth.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-07-2019, 20:54.

I believe it's something of a Kurdish speciality, particularly Iraqi Kurds - not sure if there's something in the ethnic psyche that makes them skilled at it, or if it's just that it's a fairly easy and cheap business for an immigrant to set up, especially if the skills are mainly around shaving and clipping rather than actual hairdressing/styling.

My barber (a former colleague before he followed his dream) is more of an "artist", and is understandably sniffy about them. I'd estimate there are 20-30 such places dotted around my town. There's also of course a chance that such establishments are convenient fronts for other business activities, which would make me wary of them if I weren't loyal to my guy (and still paying him his student rate, of course).

Comment

I love going to Turkish barbers whenever I'm in Turkey. I get the impression that now in the UK, that being a "Turkish" barber is a way of getting on the ladder for many people who may or may not be Turkish (but are more likely Syrian or Iraqi - but could be Kurdish as jwdd says)

Comment

There's quite a few in Canvey Island, Essex, which is interesting considering it's Brexit Central.

Comment

I can’t think of the last place I went in Britain where there weren’t any

Comment

Went to an actual Turkish barber in Crofton Park a couple of years ago. Excellent shave and face massage.

To be fair, he didn't really earn his money given that my facial hair is somewhat lacking, but otherwise it was a lovely experience.

Comment

There were two barber shops in Royston for many years, but one (the one I used to go to) shut about three years ago when the owner/main operator retired. That has been replaced by a surprising number of new ones, including at least two that have opened in the past year. I think it's five in total now. Not sure how there is enough custom to support them all! Getting to the point, one of the first new shops to open was a Turkish barbers. Which is where I tend to go these days.

I get the impression that pretty well all the staff live in London and get the train up for work.

Comment

I am surprised that the ridding of ear hair with a lighter hasn't been mentioned yet. I have often thought of doing it myself - after only having experienced it in Turkey - but always balk.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                  I am surprised that the ridding of ear hair with a lighter hasn't been mentioned yet. I have often thought of doing it myself - after only having experienced it in Turkey - but always balk.
                  Heated razor, surely?

Comment

You mean when they squirt alcohol in your ear and set fire to it?

Comment

From about 3 minutes:

Comment

Two in sleepy Hertford.

A big one on London Colney High Street, two doors down from the Grog Shop, which appears to be run by the same people. It's one of those off licences that sells lager from exotic places, Sanatogen Tonic Wine, weird liqueurs, really good pork scratchings and there is always football (I assume Turkish) on the TV behind the counter, even at 2.00 on a Wednesday afternoon in July.

Comment

I'm a fan too.

Good for keeping your ego in check as well. In my experience, after they've finished shaving, the nose-hair trimmers come straight out.

Comment

My barber threw in a brief but vigorous shoulder massage with thumbs like steel.

I think my nose hairs were done with scissors but my eyes were closed at that point.

Comment

Working...
                            X