No announcement yet.

Being proud of kids for doing stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"So what was the point of coming onto someone else's thread and being snide about their kid?"

Somebody else's thread? Aren't all threads for everybody, except the thread starter, "somebody else's thread"?
    ​​​​​
    And I wasn't being snide about "somebody else's kid". I was being snide about Rogin's take on his daughter's backpacking.

"I can't imagine the level of petty nastiness that motivates that."

You, of all people on this board apart from me, don't have to imagine "levels of petty nastiness".

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
      "So what was the point of coming onto someone else's thread and being snide about their kid?"

Somebody else's thread? Aren't all threads for everybody, except the thread starter, "somebody else's thread"?
      ​​​​​
      And I wasn't being snide about "somebody else's kid". I was being snide about Rogin's take on his daughter's backpacking.

"I can't imagine the level of petty nastiness that motivates that."

You, of all people on this board apart from me, don't have to imagine "levels of petty nastiness".
      It's really rankling isn't it?

You're defending your decision to be mean not once but several times about another poster taking pride in their child's acheivement,

What a horrible person you must be.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

It's really rankling isn't it?

You're defending your decision to be mean not once but several times about another poster taking pride in their child's acheivement,

What a horrible person you must be.
        Jesus.

​​​​​​Yes, I'm a horrible person. Now fuck off and get on somebody else's back. My life's too short for shit like this.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
          Jesus.

​​​​​​Yes, I'm a horrible person. Now fuck off and get on somebody else's back. My life's too short for shit like this.
          You've just posted something attacking me... So If your life's "too short for shit like this " just delete your post.

A note to Rogin's daughter would be appreciated too.
          Last edited by Nefertiti2; 24-07-2019, 21:39.

Comment

ad hoc, that's very nice of you, and not entirely out of the question. Diggedy Jr spends ages watching train videos of continental journeys, often sleepers, eg Rome to Vienna, that kind of thing. It's a subject of affection and fascination for all of us.

To loop back to the Man In Seat 61 conversation (and I notice there is an interview online with him from a couple of months back), some of those videos are now so popular, like Paul Lucas Wingin' It channel, that their makers have made a new career out of it. And why not, they're extremely informative.

Comment

How old is he?

He may progress to "cab rides" filmed out the front window of locomotives, of which there are hundreds/thousands on YouTube.

Comment

A few weeks back, just before VL jnr's 6th birthday, we cycled to Mahone Bay and back on the Bay to Bay Trail. 10km each way and no steep inclines of course, as it used to be a railway line, but was very proud of the boy for managing it - had a few breaks in each direction and he ate his own bodyweight in ice cream once we reached Mahone Bay, but will admit to being pretty chuffed with the fact that he made it without any major meltdowns and without me having to carry him, or his bike, at any point!

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  How old is he?

He may progress to "cab rides" filmed out the front window of locomotives, of which there are hundreds/thousands on YouTube.
                  I did one of those backwards on the MetroNorth out of GCT a few weeks back (certain staff leave that seat open, others lock it for once they check tickets). It made my week getting to see the inner workings at GCT finally.

Comment

Originally posted by JVL View Post
                    A few weeks back, just before VL jnr's 6th birthday, we cycled to Mahone Bay and back on the Bay to Bay Trail. 10km each way and no steep inclines of course, as it used to be a railway line, but was very proud of the boy for managing it - had a few breaks in each direction and he ate his own bodyweight in ice cream once we reached Mahone Bay, but will admit to being pretty chuffed with the fact that he made it without any major meltdowns and without me having to carry him, or his bike, at any point!

That's damned good going by your lad, JVL.

When my daughter was about 8 we were on holiday at a Center Parcs holiday village in the Netherlands and she, along with the rest of the family did a something-like 30km round trip to Belgium, via a soft landing in a ditch, which I was pretty impressed with.

BTW, I went through Mahone Bay on my honeymoon. You should post a photo of the place and what it's famous for.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                      BTW, I went through Mahone Bay on my honeymoon. You should post a photo of the place and what it's famous for.

Perhaps JVL's busy, so:

Comment

Ursus, cheers for that. We’re all over those indeed. I find them fascinating myself.

Comment

As do I

Comment

My daughter is doing this camp again this year, and seeing this thread title made me think of this...

https://abc7.com/community-events/sa...-jobs/3865932/

My daughter is somewhere in that photo. If you're FB friends with me, you may find her. Anyway, they're making toy chests this summer, and she did a firefighting challenge course today. Pretty cool.

Comment

This looks like a nice friendly thread.....
                              Tomorrow my son (19) starts his first real job. Having decided after one year of studying Civil Engineering at Glasgow Uni that he really couldn't put up with another three years of more of the same, he's got a one year (minimum-wage-type) job through 'A Year In Industry' with Viridor at the GRREC - Glasgow Recycling and Renewable Energy Centre; basically they turn waste destined for landfill into electricity. Given that he's had zero interest in recycling before, I'm impressed that he managed to lie his way through the interview... But hopefully it might turn out to be something useful in the long run, both for him and for the rest of us....

Comment

That sounds promising. I hope it works out for all involved.

Comment

Good on him for not sticking out a degree he wasn't enjoying.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1176151948304769025?s=21[/URL]

not my kid in this case, obviously . But still proud of them all.

Comment

She is hugely impressive both for what she's done and the tone and choice of words she adopts. She hits the right notes again and again better than supposedly sophisticated politicians do.

Comment

And all in a foreign language.

Comment

Nursery is suiting my son well, and burning off some of his excess energy, meaning he's being less destructive at home. I've been proud of him a couple of times recently. First was when one day this week he came out of nursery with a 'map' he'd drawn to show us the way home. So, I let him follow his map and show us the way home. He went a less direct route than I would have walked, but he does know how to get home. Given that it's nearly a mile and it's not a straight route, I think that's pretty good going for a 3-year-old. It also reassures me about his survival skills.

Second proud moment was yesterday when the play worker told me that another child had thrown toys in his face twice and he hadn't retaliated. Previously, he would always escalate confrontations. He seems to be learning that he doesn't have to.

Comment

Yay, my boy graduated officer training at RAF Cranwell last week.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                                              Yay, my boy graduated officer training at RAF Cranwell last week.

Wow. Many congratulations to both of you.

Comment

Yesterday at rainbows, the kids were given the task of making a bonfire picture in a very prescriptive way. Landscape black paper, orange flame bonfire cut out, glittery fireworks and stars for the sky. 34 children did exactly as they were shown. My daughter turned her page portrait so there was more sky space, left space under her bonfire flames to draw logs and arranged the firework stickers so that little stars were riding rockets, complete with speech bubbles saying "wheee!"

This type of non-conformity may not always have positive results, but as a parent it gives me a very warm fuzzy feeling.
                                                Last edited by Balderdasha; 06-11-2019, 15:47.

Comment

Working...
                                                X