Being proud of kids for doing stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being proud of kids for doing stuff

I'm meeting the eldest Roginette in Budapest tomorrow. Well, she's definitely going to be there, I'm still subject to the twatting about that a certain Irish airline might subject me to.

I'm really, really, proud of her. She's taken herself off on her tod and basically travelled central europe on her own, aged 18. Backpacking, meeting people at each stop (Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Budapest to follow). She's had a great time so far I'm pleased to say.

I know "middle class kid travels around mitteleuropa with a back pack" doesn't really feature in the top 50 of heroic achievements, but hey. This can be a thread to post up everyone else's nos. 1-49.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 22-07-2019, 16:41.

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

I know "middle class kid travels around mitteleuropa with a back pack" doesn't really feature in the top 50 of heroic achievements
    Too fucking right it doesn't.

But, fair play, you're proud of her, and I'm cool with that.

As you were.

Edit: Did she pay for it herself?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Have you not realised how tight I am?

Comment

Paper rounds still a thing, then?

Comment

Have you not realised how tight I am?
            Of course.

But: She earned enough between leaving school - she has left school, I presume - to fuck off around "Europe" for however long. And paid for it herself.

I'm cool with that.

Who'll pay her rent after she's finished backpacking?

Last edited by treibeis; 22-07-2019, 17:33.

Comment

She'll have been taking advice from some of us on strange places to sleep, perhaps.

Comment

I'm proud of our son for becoming taller than I am (he's 15) and not crowing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                  Of course.

But: She earned enough between leaving school - she has left school, I presume - to fuck off around "Europe" for however long. And paid for it herself.

I'm cool with that.

Who'll pay her rent after she's finished backpacking?

You really are an unpleasant fellow. Haven't you got something lavatorial to post somewhere.

And well done Rogin. She's done really well, and it's lovely you can take pride in her achievement,

Have a great time in Budapest.

Comment

Fucking hell, be proud, mate.

Comment

Thanks nefertiti. Treibeis is only pissed that she didn't come to Hamburg. But I am. Oh, it's booked. I'm coming. And my Gods he's going to see what a fat English bloke can do to those bogs of his after eight pints and a couple of currywursts.<smiley thing>
                      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 22-07-2019, 17:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                        Fucking hell, be proud, mate.
                        I don't know who you're addressing that to, but:

Proud that I'm eight Inches taller than my old man? Null points.

Proud that my child's done inter-rail. Null points.

Comment

My height post was a throwaway one. But I think Rogin has the right to be at least a teeny-weeny bit proud of his kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                            My height post was a throwaway one. But I think Rogin has the right to be at least a teeny-weeny bit proud of his kid.
                            I don't decide who has the right to do what. I just said, or wanted to say, that "backpacking around Europe" isn't something I'd associate with "an achievement".

Comment

I don't decide who has the right to do what. I just said, or wanted to say, that "backpacking around Europe" isn't something I'd associate with "an achievement".
                              And for the third time on THIS FUCKING THREAD that was my original point ... so what it WAS meant to be was a placeholder thread for people's stories about whatever their kids had done. As you were.

Comment

And for the third time on THIS FUCKING THREAD that was my original point ... so what it WAS meant to be was a placeholder thread for people's stories about whatever their kids had done. As you were.
                                Ah, right. I don't have any kids. I didn't realise the thread was only for parents.

Comment

And Nefertiti2 (yes, the Ignore Poster thing is sometimes slower than the thread itself): I can sometimes be a "deeply unpleasant fellow". I've never claimed anything less. I'm not always deeply unpleasant; it depends whom I'm engaging with.
                                  Last edited by treibeis; 22-07-2019, 21:25.

Comment

Well, it was Rogin's thread, rather than any kind of verbal gauntlet as such. (He says, stirring the pot...)

My eldest is studying in the Netherlands and isn't paying for any of it. The 'achievement' comes when she graduates, but I'm nonetheless proud of her already, and regardless.

Comment

Welp this thread escalated quickly. As father to a 7 and 5 year old the fact that they get up to pee in the night, wash their hands and go back to bed is probably my proudest achievement.

Comment

I don't have any kids, but my ickle bruvver (age 32 and three quarters) has his graduation ceremony from Bristol University on Thursday and I wish I could be there. I'm dead proud of him.

Comment

And Nefertiti2 (yes, the Ignore Poster thing is sometimes slower than the thread itself): I can sometimes be a "deeply unpleasant fellow". I've never claimed anything less. I'm not always deeply unpleasant; it depends whom I'm engaging with.
                                          So what was the point of coming onto someone else's thread and being snide about their kid?

I can't imagine the level of petty nastiness that motivates that.

Comment

I think it's good for parents to be proud of their kids and I hope Rogin and his daughter have a great time.

Someone I basically watched grow up (lived with the family for ten years from when they were 2) is now 18 and has been accepted into Cambridge Uni. I don't normally even rate such things but I confess I was chuffed to hear that, more so when their mum told me that they gave me a lot of credit in inspiring their love of reading (this means I gave them books every birthday and Xmas).

Comment

Always find something to be proud of them for and always let them know.

Comment

Yes, do always let them know. The first person to tell me how proud my parents were when I graduated was one of their friends who saw me a couple of weeks later and said they'd barely shut up about it whenever she saw them. I think my parents have probably learnt to be a bit more effusive by now, but I'll have to ask my brother to make sure.

Comment

My 8 year old boy loves to dance - I don't get it myself but I've had to put up with the God awful "The Next Step" on my tv for the last couple of years and watching him just body pop out of nowhere when you're trying to talk to him is irritating as hell. He also has to put up with his 12 year old cynic of a brother laughing at him over it because it's not "what boys do".

On Saturday night, the group he dances with at school got to dance with another group called KNE - they were apparently semi-finalists in this year's Britain's Got Talent.

I was unable to attend, but when his mum sent me the video of him doing a solo dance at the start of his group dance I have to admit that I was bloody beaming at my boy performing the thing he loves most in front of an audience of about 200 or so.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X