X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A wanderer's (slight) return

Hello there.

evilC here.

You might remember me from such threads as 'BigSexyLand' and, oh... numerous Electropop and punning marathons. I dunno - take your pick!

If you don't - and I can't blame you - you're probably thinking "Who is this cunt?!"

But for those who do - and aren't on Facebook (perfectly understandably) - then this is a brief explanation for my extended absence. ...And it is good news, personally speaking.

Just under a year ago, now, I once again delved into the world of online dating ...only this time, it actually worked! I was on the verge of giving up when I started talking to a <strike>young</strike> lady who not only had pretty good music taste, but also actually seemed interested in me ...and was surprisingly hot! The only *ahem* slight drawback was that she was 4,500+ miles away, in southern California!

Well, that turned out to be less of an obstacle than I thought and things escalated quickly - before long we declared ourselves an item ...and soon she decided that she was coming out here, to the UK, to see me! When she did, I took the opportunity to propose to her (under the so-called 'Bridge of Sighs' in Oxford) and she said yes! So - as of 20th of November, last year - we are engaged ...and yes - I am emigrating to the U.S. to be with her and to get married to her!

So... that's the gist of it. I realise responses will be mixed, depending on one's life experience. I must admit, I was cynical about relationships and marriage, previously: three of my four brothers and sisters have been through messy divorces and the one who didn't was the very one who should have, most of all. But I'm 53; she's 47 - I think we're just about ready, now.

We started the bureaucratic immigration process at the start of February (I had spent the Christmas & New Year period visiting her - in Riverside, part of the 'Inland Empire', for those interested) and last weekend, we received the initial notice, confirming that our papers had been filed correctly and approved - right on schedule, almost 5 months to the day, after they were received. Now we have a short wait until I am given an appointment date for a medical and then an interview date at the U.S. consulate in London. I took the liberty of already booking a flight: 11th of February, via Norwegian Air (they had a special offer - I got a 'Premium' (i,e business class) ticket to LAX for £520! :-) )

Thus, I have recently been making preparations: buying flightcases for (some of) my vinyl and CDs, selling synthesizers, stockpiling certain clothes while dispensing of others, etc, etc. So I haven't had much time for social media beyond my default place of Facebook, really. I know some of you are linked with me on there already. My absence from here hasn't been 'personal', so to speak.

However... Evan, San Bernardhinault, DGLH, Femme Folle, et al... I'm a-coming for ya! :-)

= = =

Last edited by evilC; 21-07-2019, 23:06.

Heartiest congratulations, Clive. My best to you both.

Comment

Thank you, WOM - much appreciated, old chap! :-)

Comment

We'll be in (almost the same time zone, you realise? Spooky! In fact, you'll be an hour or two in the future! You'll have to keep me informed as to what life is like there! ;-)

Comment

Fantastic news. You’re welcome to our place in the Land of Enchantment (one time zone over) any time.

p.s. Still love your mammoth “touched two” compilation downloaded awhile back.

Comment

Ridiculously happy for you. Such an adventure awaits.

Comment

You realise this will mean that West Coast OTFathons will have a new member or two, right? I guess SF or its surrounds might be a halfway point if we went all-in? If not, then Evan, SB and us could have one locally. ;-)

Comment

Congratulations, Clive! All the very best to you both.

Comment

Cal - the 'Touched' label has expanded quite a bit since then. Several other free-to-download releases, plus I went to their first live event, last spring, in Hastings, featuring B12 and Christ., to name just a couple. Keep watching Touched's Bandcamp page, basically.

= = =

Comment

My mate used to be in a band called Christ. They were called Christ and Satan, but Satan left due to musical differences.

Nice work Clive old chap. I'm made up for you. It's going to be spectacular.

Comment

Thank you, Hobbes.

I hadn't thought of it being 'spectacular', I have to say! I suppose it's quite a venture, though, yes.

She's a divorcee - with a 9 year old daughter - so I will suddenly be a stepfather. Also she has parents, whereas mine both died, either side of 10 years ago. Instant family! It's going to be a whole new set of experiences for me ...just like Disneyland was!

= = =

Last edited by evilC; 21-07-2019, 23:52.

Comment

(Sorry for the huge pics! OTF's image upload facility still confounds me! We can't upload JPGs, apparently! Oh well. :-/ )

Comment

Well, that's all totally awesome news, isn't it? You're back on OTF, you've got a hot fiancee and you're moving to paradise! (Well, Riverside, but it's close to paradise). My recollection of the interview process for getting in to the US is that it's remarkably easy if you're a straight, white, middle aged, anglophone dude. Privilege writ large.

Comment

I know, SB! I actually feel a kind of guilt, given recent developments over there, I have to say! :-/

I suppose there's also an element of 'out of the frying pan, into the fire', but that's all to be seen, of course. At least I'm not emigrating to Italy or Brazil, eh?! :-/

On the bright side, at least we can have some kind of SoCal OTFathon occasionally and drown our sorrows over a few (overly strong) ales.

On the topic of the immigration process, what are your memories of it, after you received the I-797? I have to confess that I only got my folder of 'evidence' together today, assuming the medical and interview will be within the next month to six weeks.

Oh, and as for Riverside... well Erica (for that is the name of my true love) is slightly down on it, as a lifelong resident, but I think it's very pretty. The area where she lives is unfeasibly clean and tidy, by British standards - almost unnervingly so, in fact! It's almost like the opening scenes of 'Blue Velvet'! However, I like it ...and we're also near the local park, which is very pleasant too.

Comment

I don't even recall that form. My recollection of the process is that everything took a while, but everything actually worked pretty smoothly. Here's stuff about my interview

As for Riverside, I actually kind of like it, but it doesn't have a great reputation. You have really good access to the mountains and the desert cities and places like Temecula, and fairly good access for one of the prettiest drives anywhere, on 395 up the backside of the Sierra Nevada. You'd just better be prepared for the oven-like heat of the summer, and the afternoon tide of photochemical smog.

Potential SoCal OTF-Thon sounds delightful, although ironically there's a chance that I'll be moving out of here depending on the missus's work situation.

Comment

Cheers, SB. I know about the heat (although being prepared for it is another matter, of course.) I'm not sure about the smog tide, but I was slightly surprised by the Santa Ana winds when I was over, during Christmas. They woke me up, a couple of times, at night. I couldn't believe it! I thought that was something I was leaving behind, in the heathlands of SW Surrey!

Comment

Whoa ho! Welcome to the New World young man, and many congratulations.

But what's with the belt and braces in the top photo? It's as if you're making absolutely sure about something...

Comment

Congratulations. Great to see a good happy story.

Comment

Congrats Clive! (although this is not news as I see your posts on facebook...)

Comment

Teddy and I could not be happier for you and we wish you all the happiness in the world! xx

Comment

Mate - what fantastic news. So pleased for you. The best of British to you all!

Comment

Congratulations from me, too.

Have you stayed in a motel yet?

Comment

Amazing news, Clive, this beautiful story could not have happened to a nicer guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                But what's with the belt and braces in the top photo? It's as if you're making absolutely sure about something...
                                                There are precedents for cool British exports to the US doubling up on trouser support...

Many congratulations from me too, evilc!

Comment

Congrats from here too. I hope you manage to find a shop importing marmite, yorkshire tea, stilton and proper sausages. Maybe OTF could arrange an occasional food parcel for you.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X