"Street Racers" in Stevenage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Street Racers" in Stevenage

When this was first reported earlier today, it was described as a "parade" of modified and / or sports vehicles

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/u...rowds-18348392

Now it seems it's being reported as street racing.

Well.

If that's the case, and I don't understand how it has changed from one to the other in the space of a few hours, and I'm yet to be convinced it is, get the vehicles crushed and each and every one of these shit behind bars for five years so they can't go around putting people's lives at risk in the interim.​​​​​​

The problem here is that having already this morning branded anti-Brexit marchers as 'tosspot arsehole hypocrite wankers' and someone who had the temerity to tell you that a shop wasn't open as 'pig ignorant shit', your description of the street racers merely as 'this shit' might, when set against your prevailing standard of vitriol, be interpreted as your being moderately in favour of them.

Comment

He's certainly mellowing. Perhaps the sun has started to peep through the clouds in Sheffield.

Comment

Didn't say the shop not being open was pig ignorant

I called their employee pig ignorant after he nearly manhandled me after I tried to go and do some shopping in what appeared to be a demonstrably open shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
          I called their employee pig ignorant after he nearly manhandled me after I tried to go and do some shopping in what appeared to be a demonstrably open shop.
          This "demonstrably open" thing is a bit of an elastic term. By way of exception, I know what I'm on about here.

My "shop" is, for many people "demonstrably open" as soon as I'm there, simply because 99% of it is open-air. I can understand why people think that. That's why there are great big fuck-off signs everywhere, signs bigger than me, saying "We open at <time>".

But there are still people who won't have it, who want a coffee/game of golf/shit/whatever two or three hours before the place is open. And when I say "No, ain't gonna happen", I'm a cunt/arsehole/racist/woman-hater/child-hater/pig-ignorant employee/whatever. And then they go onto the internet and tell everybody what a cunt/arsehole/racist/woman-hater/child-hater/pig-ignorant employee/whatever I am. And all because I didn't open before I said I'd open, because I have to clean, replenish and repair before I open.

And woe betide me if I decide to have a fag or a cup of coffee before I open and somebody sees me. Then I'm all of the above, prefixed with "lazy". And all of that before the fucking place is open.

So I don't think the employee who "nearly" manhandled you - how do you "nearly" manhandle somebody? - is pig-ignorant. He was just doing his job,

You fucking keyboard warriors who ruin people on the internet should be thankful the people you ruin can't "evaluate" you, the customer who wants everything here and now. Because then you'd look like right cunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
            When this was first reported earlier today, it was described as a "parade" of modified and / or sports vehicles

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/u...rowds-18348392

Now it seems it's being reported as street racing.

Well.

If that's the case, and I don't understand how it has changed from one to the other in the space of a few hours, and I'm yet to be convinced it is, get the vehicles crushed and each and every one of these shit behind bars for five years so they can't go around putting people's lives at risk in the interim.​​​​​​
            I read this and was a bit confused too. I know the location, which is between the town centre and the football ground, with residences close by, and the town police station less than five minutes drive away . If you were going to organise a "street race" it's a pretty darn conspicuous place to do it, especially at 9:45 pm.

Comment

I doubt it's organised. The petrol heads might think they're in The Fast and the Furious but they ain't.

Comment

In the article I read some of the people hurt were described as spectators, which suggests some degree of organisation.

Comment

Apparently, the actual meet was in a car park, static and organised. The problem came when people were leaving and giving it one final bit of beans. (There was a video doing the rounds a few weeks ago that - in hindsight - wasn't funny. A bloke leaving some kind of car meetup, gets onto the main road, floors it and fishtails right into somebody's front garden.)

Comment

Spectators just means people watching, ie other petrolheads.

We get this in a supermarket car park near us occasionally. All the local boi racers tip up with their low-slung befinned vehicles, pop the hoods to shown off their chrome engines, blast music out from their treble max woofers. Then afterwards decide to burn some nitrous on the ring road. There are spectators in terms of mates and girlfriends and sometimes their kids.

Comment

The A10 in Enfield has lots of racing on it, so much so that the police have placed notices appealing for dash cam footage.

Comment

My local nuisance are the estate scrotes on trail bikes, speeding on paths and towpaths with people walking their dogs, kids, etc. Sometimes there is a bunch of them going straight through the incredibly busy A580/M6 junction in Haydock, causing all sorts of mayhem. I would find myself not particularly bothered if some truck driven by some guy who barely slept since leaving Turkey or Greece did not brake in time and ran them over...

Comment

I have mixed feelings about these boy racers, particularly as car cruises are banned from my own home town until 2023. We constantly deride young people for not having an interest and not having hobbies and then they get one and we castigate them for it. Some of these guys will live in a shed at the bottom of the garden if it means they can have a bit more money to spend on their beloved motor. Some of the souped up models really do look the business and some have stereo systems worth over £10k in the boot and are worth more than the car. Which brings me onto the anti-social side of things. The revving of engines, racing on roads, and blasting stereos so that any local residents cannot get any sleep. Every so often one of them does something catastrophic. We had that in 1990 when a 17 year old borrowed his dad's Ford Granada and took it down to Southend. On the way he lost control and crashed it into a telegraph pole and then caught fire. Five dead teenagers and Ford stopped insuring all people in a household on a company car after that. Or google Thorpe Bay crash from 2009 to see the effects it has.

I have no problem with people having an interest, it's the anti-social problem which causes the problem and it's very difficult to anything about it other than give them points, confiscate the vehicles or crush their cars.

After people several people are hurt in a crash at a car cruise event - What are they?

Comment

I'm not averse to people having an interest and getting together to share that interest with like-minded people. I was at the Exeter services when there were a load of them showing off their cars to each other and it was fascinating walking past and having a look.

But there is also the problem that if you out a bunch of young men in a car the driver will usually drive faster and more dangerously then if he is in a car on his own. That's been proven. And then, yes, you get situations with a carload of young people get killed. We had one go off the A470 near Pen y Fan not long ago and nobody got out of the car alive.

Comment

Someone shot at a car in a village near me today and there were armed police on the road to my son's nursery. Apparently, it is all kicking off in Hertfordshire. Summer silly season?

Comment

Working...
                              X