X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pick'n'mix approach to Christianity

We don't like this "render unto Caeser" bit, so we'll not bother -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-49017512

Beats that Freeman of the Land bullshit.

Comment

Pick'n'mix is generally a good description. Almost every practical or doctrinal aspect of Christianity involves rejecting an equally arguable, historical, or likely interpretation of what "true" Christianity is.

Comment

Tattooed god-botherers definitely don't like it being pointed out to them that they have already defiled the word of God and are thus condemned to hell. Especially the ones tattooed with "Only God can judge me" which is deliciously hilarious.
        Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 18-07-2019, 18:54.

Comment

And of course, the render unto Caeser was a response to a trap.

It was Paul who emphasised the moral duty of believers to pay their taxes to the civil authorities.

Comment

Well, you certainly haven't asked me as I don't mind it. It's Leviticus, isn't it? Every prawn and black pudding eating Christian that shaves is going to hell. There are Christians I know who are more than happy to point out such details while forgetting a whole load of 'Judge not, that ye be not judged' Biblical quotes.

Comment

levitucus must be the most selectively quoted book of the lot by those evangelical culture wars wanks.

Comment

Iain Paisley never ran a Save Ulster from Shrimp Cocktails campaign.

Comment

I was quite devoutly Christian as a child. I got as far as going to a few evangelical Christian summer camps as a teenager, where I met a boy about 18 months older than me who was very evangelical. Over the next couple of years we became good friends and had lots of philosophical discussions, but I became gradually disillusioned and more atheist. I think the more dogmatic he was, the more I resisted any rigid theology. The final nail in the coffin was when I found out that he was working for an arms company as a summer job at university. I asked him angrily how he could square that with his ethics. He was baffled. It wasn't like he personally was shooting anyone, and if he didn't do the job, someone else would, so he couldn't see a moral dilemma at all.

Comment

When I'm ethnically cleansing a city, I make sure to kill all the women who have had sex, and only keep the virgin girls as sex slaves, because otherwise god will punish me. I'm Oldschool like that.

Comment

The no shrimps and char siu stuff was just good advice from God for a tribe that lived in the middle of the desert and were two millenia away from refridgerators. Honestly, if someone approached you on a dusty street in Bethlehem now, and offered you a pot of warm prawn cocktail, would you eat it? You'd be on the bog for days.

Comment

Yep, the rules are good sense (for a specific place 2 and a half thousand years ago) mixed with awful batshit bollocks.

Comment

I can't help liking that my namesake is the only person in the Bible who farts.

Comment

One of my favourite stories is Elisha and the bears. As a hirsutely anxious 40 something I'm down with a god who deals with taunting scallies by sending bears to rip the little shits to pieces after they pass remarks on a chap's baldness.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Pick'n'mix is generally a good description. Almost every practical or doctrinal aspect of Christianity involves rejecting an equally arguable, historical, or likely interpretation of what "true" Christianity is.

It's open to many interpretations, but some of them make a lot more sense than others and many of the dominant ones today are defending the things the Jesus movement was very clearly against - empire, exclusion, violence, greed.

Comment

For Jews, it's a bit more cut and dried but Christians will always interpret the '“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind/Love your neighbor as yourself' two commandments differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                  For Jews, it's a bit more cut and dried but Christians will always interpret the '“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind/Love your neighbor as yourself' two commandments differently.
                                  And that's why I envy the Jains.

Sanctimonious holier and more pious than thou bastards that they are(n't)

Comment

I've been to Leicester twice in my life. The first time was to visit the (then) only Jain Temple in the Western Hemisphere. It had all sparkly bits stuck on the wall of the lobby as you went in. Have to admit it looked a bit tacky.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                      It's not really that hard to interpret. It's just really hard to actually do. But for the last 500 years at least, we've been too hung up on getting the words right instead of living into it.

Comment

Working...
                                      X