Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Andrew formerly known as Prince (was: Jeffrey Epstein thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

But with the double whammy of Prince Andrew and Andrew Tate I suspect the name will continue to lose ground.
    Maybe. Is there much evidence for that kind of phenomenon, apart from the extreme case of Adolf in Germany? (I'm guessing Benito may not have fared well in Italy either?)

Other tosspot Andrews of rather less renown include Roberts, Wigmore and Neil. Someone started a short-lived "bad day for Andrews" thread on here a year or two ago - there was some Tory backbench tosser of the same name involved in the mix I believe.

All a little unfair on the thousands of fine upstanding Andrews who walk among us, including my own dear elder brother.

Edit: gold star for me btw, for the partial quotation!
    Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 09-01-2024, 10:04.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

For further warren exploration, there are two names in Hungarian which get translated as Andrew. András​ and Endre . I have no idea why. They are not diminutives of one another or anything like that, they are definitely different names, but both are apparently Andrew. As far as I can tell "Andrew I" was an Endre and "Andrew II" was an Andras (though in the list of monarchs in Hungarian they are listed as I. Andras and II. Andras) To confuse things further Andrew II was canonised and gave his name to the (very attractive) town of Szentendre just north of Budapest on the Danube. The other St Andrew (ie the apostle) is referred to as Szent András​​
    That is good trivia. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    The popularity of the name Andrew has dropped significantly in the UK. It used to regularly be in the top 10 in the 70s and 80s with thousands of baby Andrews churned out every year. These days there are about 150 new Andrews each year, which still strikes me as surprisingly high given the most famous one.

But I guess there are quite a few non-nefarious Andrews and Andys. Andy Murray, Andrew Garfield (aka Spiderman), Andy from toy story, a fair few Saint Andrews.

But with the double whammy of Prince Andrew and Andrew Tate I suspect the name will continue to lose ground.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    So not quite a double endre then?

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    I've gone down a bit of a rabbit hole and discovered that there was indeed a King Andrew I and King Andrew II of Hungary in the 11th & 12th centuries.
    For further warren exploration, there are two names in Hungarian which get translated as Andrew. András​ and Endre . I have no idea why. They are not diminutives of one another or anything like that, they are definitely different names, but both are apparently Andrew. As far as I can tell "Andrew I" was an Endre and "Andrew II" was an Andras (though in the list of monarchs in Hungarian they are listed as I. Andras and II. Andras) To confuse things further Andrew II was canonised and gave his name to the (very attractive) town of Szentendre just north of Budapest on the Danube. The other St Andrew (ie the apostle) is referred to as Szent András​​

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    But Andrew has no such signifiers in English.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Ah, I've solved the mystery. Prince Philip's dad was called Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark. Carry on, as you were.
    Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark was his dad's fourth son so perhaps another safe son to give a fond name in the sense that he would never be king.

In the Greek, Andrew signifies a high level of manliness but I don't know if he was named so for that reason, to beef up the monarchy's image, as it were (although we know that Philip was someone who emphasized masculinity to an exceptional degree).
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 09-01-2024, 01:13.

Leave a comment:

• Mitch
    replied
    And there was an English King Louis as well. Sort of. He was "proclaimed" king after kicking out King John, but not crowned. And then got kicked out himself a year later.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Ah, I've solved the mystery. Prince Philip's dad was called Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark. Carry on, as you were.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    I've gone down a bit of a rabbit hole and discovered that there was indeed a King Andrew I and King Andrew II of Hungary in the 11th & 12th centuries.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Is that the Prince Albert who married Victoria?
    Yup. That's why the royal family were known as the Saxe- Coburgs before they were Windsors.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    It's remote — even more than Princess Elizabeth becoming queen — but I'd love it if there was a King Archie I in my lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied

Albert was still a royal name. He was apparently named after Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. There was a King Albert I of Belgium.
    Is that the Prince Albert who married Victoria?

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    When I become King it will be as Malcolm

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied

Albert was still a royal name. He was apparently named after Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. There was a King Albert I of Belgium.
    True, but not a British royal name. (cf. your original post)

I guess Elizabeth being a previously used name was a coincidence. When she was born the prospect of her becoming queen must have been seen as somewhat less than remote.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Andrew was the spare.

Often they change their name when they become king anyway. Edward VIII was David. George VI was Bertie to people who actually knew him.
    David was one of Edward VIII's many middle names / his childhood nickname. Edward was his official first name.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

George VI was christened Albert ("Bertie" within the family) as it wasn't expected he would become monarch.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Originally posted by Etienne View Post

I think after the heir and the spare you get a bit of latitude to go with a name you might like.
    Andrew WAS the spare. At the time he was born he was second in line to the throne (boys came before girls in that regard).

Leave a comment:

• anton pulisov
    replied
    Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
    I didn't trust their opinions on music so I'm never entirely sure why I'm supposed to trust their opinions on politicians. You liked Menswear, FFS.
    breave deepah
    daydreamah

I remember liking that song as a teenager.

Had a listen and look now. Absolute shite. Like some kind of Elastica knockoff. Even the singer is trying to pull off the Justine Frischmann look.
    Last edited by anton pulisov; 08-01-2024, 22:19.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied

I think after the heir and the spare you get a bit of latitude to go with a name you might like.
    Andrew was the spare.

Often they change their name when they become king anyway. Edward VIII was David. George VI was Bertie to people who actually knew him.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied

Its a sop to the Scotch as well.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    I have no idea why this just occurred to me, but why is Andrew the only immediate member of the royal family who doesn't have a name that has previously belonged to a British monarch?

Charles - King Charles I & II
    Anne - Queen Anne
    Edward - King Edward I through VIII
    William - King William I - IV
    Harry (real name Henry) - King Henry I - VIII
    George - King George 1 - VI
    Charlotte - Queen Charlotte (she wasn't a queen in her own right but she was wife of George III)
    Louis - ok, not a British monarch, but there were all the French kings and he's unlikely to ever be king unless both his older siblings die.

But Andrew? Where the fuck did that come from? There's never been a King Andrew anywhere as far as I know.
    George VI was christened Albert ("Bertie" within the family) as it wasn't expected he would become monarch.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

You trying to get Rhino to "do a Rod Liddle"?
    Not consciously.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    I have no idea why this just occurred to me, but why is Andrew the only immediate member of the royal family who doesn't have a name that has previously belonged to a British monarch?

Charles - King Charles I & II
    Anne - Queen Anne
    Edward - King Edward I through VIII
    William - King William I - IV
    Harry (real name Henry) - King Henry I - VIII
    George - King George 1 - VI
    Charlotte - Queen Charlotte (she wasn't a queen in her own right but she was wife of George III)
    Louis - ok, not a British monarch, but there were all the French kings and he's unlikely to ever be king unless both his older siblings die.

But Andrew? Where the fuck did that come from? There's never been a King Andrew anywhere as far as I know.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    Northern Uproar
    I've still got time for From A Window, but that reminds me of a very specific period in my life when I was having a fine old time of things with my mates and generally not worrying about anything.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X