Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Andrew formerly known as Prince (was: Jeffrey Epstein thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    Now Aaron Rogers is involved. He suggested Jimmy Kimmel might be involved. He seems to forget that Jimmy Kimmel has his own popular network show.

Great quarterback, truly down the rabbit hole as a human being.

Leave a comment:

• George C.
    replied
    Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    https://twitter.com/I_amMukhtar/status/1745171399709213043?t=vrgLumJY0qSG8RZuRJ6U8w&s=19

That's more than we thought we'd paid to get the nonce off.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Now Aaron Rogers is involved. He suggested Jimmy Kimmel might be involved. He seems to forget that Jimmy Kimmel has his own popular network show.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    A fine question

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    How would documents relating to a 2015 legal case have a settlement amount from a 2022 settlement?

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Is there another source for this?

Preferably one with an actual document or quote?

I am surprised that the court would release a document that revealed the terms of a settlement sealed by another court.
    Not seen one, will post if it comes up.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Is there another source for this?

Preferably one with an actual document or quote?

I am surprised that the court would release a document that revealed the terms of a settlement sealed by another court.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    https://twitter.com/I_amMukhtar/status/1745171399709213043?t=vrgLumJY0qSG8RZuRJ6U8w&s=19

That's more than we thought we'd paid to get the nonce off.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    You would say that though wouldn't you.

Leave a comment:

• andrew7610
    replied
    Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
    But with the double whammy of Prince Andrew and Andrew Tate I suspect the name will continue to lose ground.
    Just popped by to confirm I am neither of the above Andrews.

Leave a comment:

• Felicity, I guess so
    replied
    Lord Mountbatten was another royal nonce, of course

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied

Now there's a name that's not fashionable at the moment. 11 baby Trevors in the UK in 2021.
    Blimey. There were at least four in my junior school class back in the late 1950s

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by WOM View Post

That's odd. I could have sworn she said....

It's complicated - everyone's helping everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    My beard's called Trevor.
    That's odd. I could have sworn she said....

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I blame Ian Dury for Trevor being sidelined.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    England women cricket captain is Trevor

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Now there's a name that's not fashionable at the moment. 11 baby Trevors in the UK in 2021.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

As someone said we are all old men with beards called Andy

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

There are a lot of Andrews on here of course too. In the old days I think we were second only to Chrises
    As someone said we are all old men with beards called Andy

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Louis will likely have been named after Mountbatten, who was named after his father, Prince Louis of Battenburg (aka The Marquess of Milford Haven).

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post

Maybe. Is there much evidence for that kind of phenomenon, apart from the extreme case of Adolf in Germany? (I'm guessing Benito may not have fared well in Italy either?)
    Names go in and out of fashion for lots of different reasons, often on a cyclical basis. But there can be an impact if there's someone with particularly positive or particularly negative connotations.

For example, in the UK in the years following the naming of Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, there was a jump of about 1,000 babies who were given those names. Back in 2000 there were about 25 babies a year in the UK named Osama. Big drop after 2001 unsurprisingly.

It's not always obvious why names ebb and flow though. Often it's to do with wanting to rebel against the names your parents liked and then looking further back towards grandparents or great-grandparents for inspiration.

There were almost no baby Myras for decades but the name is growing in popularity again as today's parents don't have so much cultural memory of Myra Hindley.

There are enough Andrews around that it might not become fully tainted by the bad apples.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    So we have Andrew as either (or both) an import from Scotland or from the Greeks marrying into the royal family (which of course was itself German). It could also be that there's a warmth to the name itself, even though some of its famous carriers have been cunts (such as Andrew Neil as well as the Royal Nonce).

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post

Maybe. Is there much evidence for that kind of phenomenon, apart from the extreme case of Adolf in Germany? (I'm guessing Benito may not have fared well in Italy either?)
    Adolf went out of fashion, I would guess, because it never was a very common name (standard, yes, but not excessively common). Had the Führer been named Hans Hitler, I think the name Hans wouldn't have been as associated with evil as was the name Adolf.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    The popularity of the name Andrew has dropped significantly in the UK. It used to regularly be in the top 10 in the 70s and 80s with thousands of baby Andrews churned out every year. These days there are about 150 new Andrews each year, which still strikes me as surprisingly high given the most famous one.

But I guess there are quite a few non-nefarious Andrews and Andys. Andy Murray, Andrew Garfield (aka Spiderman), Andy from toy story, a fair few Saint Andrews.

But with the double whammy of Prince Andrew and Andrew Tate I suspect the name will continue to lose ground.
    There are a lot of Andrews on here of course too. In the old days I think we were second only to Chrises

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    I believe that the many fine, upstanding Garys are not being replenished so much these days since the fall from grace of Mr. Glitter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X