Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-Man
    replied
    If I had the energy to riff on Spartacus gags, I'd stand up and say: "I am Chris!"

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
    Hey, not everyone on this board can be called Chris.
    I'm not called Chris.

I'm called Ian, like everyone else on the board who isn't called Chris.

Leave a comment:

• Bruno
    replied
    Originally posted by G-Man View Post
    That was striking in the docu. Oh, look, there's Spacey. Harvey, of course he's there. Holy fuck and colour me shocked, but there's Woody Allen. Polanski? Where the hell is Polanski?
    Well, and lots of chipper looking Harvard people.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    His entire career and persona are unsvoury in my book, but likely don't meet your True Crime standards

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Has anything unsavory ever been suggested about Morgan, beyond the phone hacking stuff?

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    That was striking in the docu. Oh, look, there's Spacey. Harvey, of course he's there. Holy fuck and colour me shocked, but there's Woody Allen. Polanski? Where the hell is Polanski?

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Ghislaine was seen in the company of people “From Kevin Spacey to Princess Diana”... plus Donald Trump, Prince Andrew, Bill and Hillary Clinton, Piers Morgan, Elon Musk, Harvey Weinstein...

You’ll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than Ghislaine Maxwell’s photo album.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Having researched a number of them, I haven't come across a single plebiscite of that sort that didn't feature significant fiddling by at least one side.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Originally posted by WOM View Post
    Nationality-wise, L's grandfather was born in Newfoundland before it joined Canada, and he'd refuse to call himself Canadian since 'the vote was rigged'. He maintained that position all his life, and it was pretty much confirmed to be true in later years. England wanted rid of the hassle.
    I've yet to meet a Newfie who didn't believe the same.

Leave a comment:

• pebblethefish
    replied
    I've always pronounced Ghislaine the same way I pronounce the chocolate company Guylian (when I say always, I mean since she started appearing in the papers, which was about the same time that I started regularly dealing with Guylian at work). I still have no idea whether I pronounce either of them correctly, but this thread seems to reckon that it's with a hard G, so at least I've got the first letter right, and I'm pretty confident about the last.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1281245896030724097?s=20

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
    So probably not that porous for people who lived either side of it.

Good news for those with inadequate flood insurance.

Leave a comment:

• sw2borshch
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    sw2boro, there would have been very few (if any) Jews left alive by the time it became Soviet
    Apparently the Romanian town has a fairly significant Jewish population today, but yeah, I was getting my timeline slightly mixed up, as above.

Leave a comment:

• sw2borshch
    replied
    Ah, yeah, in the 30s it's Czechoslovakia, not the USSR. Then it's going to be pretty porous, isn't it - the border is only theretthere effectively tax trade (and extract bribes), no-one is going to care about people, that they likely recognise, going back and forth to markets, relatives' houses and the like.

That last link of ad hoc's is crackers.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    It's quite hilly and there is a national park on the Ukrainian side that includes a sanctuary for ursus arctos (yes, really)

I'm not sure how capable the pre-war Hungarian or Czechoslovak governments were of effectively sealing a border of that type.
    It was in Romania by that time. Since Trianon. But the point stands. The river is a reasonably sized one, but probably crossable

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    sw2boro, there would have been very few (if any) Jews left alive by the time it became Soviet

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    It's quite hilly and there is a national park on the Ukrainian side that includes a sanctuary for ursus arctos (yes, really)

I'm not sure how capable the pre-war Hungarian or Czechoslovak governments were of effectively sealing a border of that type.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Nationality-wise, L's grandfather was born in Newfoundland before it joined Canada, and he'd refuse to call himself Canadian since 'the vote was rigged'. He maintained that position all his life, and it was pretty much confirmed to be true in later years. England wanted rid of the hassle.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    This family were from that area too (on the Romanian side) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovitz_family

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    My crossing of the Hungarian-Romanian border in 1984 featured about a dozen people being marched off the train at gunpoint..
    When I crossed the France / Italy border by train, a guy got marched off at gunpoint with one guard carrying a long, elaborate sword / dagger thing that had been found in the guy's luggage. He was the only person bothered, so they knew who and what they were looking for.

Leave a comment:

• sw2borshch
    replied
    Musing along, it's possible that the Soviet times produced a bit of a Berlin Wall effect on what may have been a fairly mingled Yiddish speaking Jewish community across the towns.

Leave a comment:

• sw2borshch
    replied
    I suppose it depends how important a border crossing it was, and as there's a fair sized town right on the border it was probably quite important. So probably not that porous for people who lived either side of it. Depending on how big that river is and perhaps how far to the next big town on the Soviet side.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Blimey I've crossed the border there.
    Hah...I thought you meant that metaphorically [like 'we're through the looking-glass, people'], but then realized you meant you crossed the actual border there.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The Sighet dynasty of Hasidim is the parent of the larger and better known Satmar dynasty (which has tens of thousands of members in Brooklyn).

The two towns are very close, but I have no idea how porous that border was in the 30s.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Well they're very close, separated only by a river. And the two are of similar age, Maxwell born in 23, Wiesel in 28. But the river will have been a border right up until the time of the Holocaust, so I sort of doubt they;d have met

Leave a comment:

Working...
X