X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• treibeis
    replied
    Originally posted by hobbes View Post
    They're usually only on if there's support on.
    Somebody is going to have to help me out here.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    What do you mean by "support"?

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    They're usually only on if there's support on.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    In Spain too. No idea.

Leave a comment:

• treibeis
    replied
    Originally posted by hobbes View Post
    Oh, there's usually plenty of year on the walls, but TVs are usually on silent and unless it's a young person's pub in the evening, music is usually quiet or off.
    Why do publicans put television sets on "silent", unless they're showing football? Every place I've ever been to in Portugal did it. Why?

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    Oh, there's usually plenty of tat on the walls, but TVs are usually on silent and unless it's a young person's pub in the evening, music is usually quiet or off.
    Last edited by hobbes; 17-07-2019, 20:03.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    It's an okay town with still some independent stores left and a twice-weekly market. Nice walks along the River Stour. Pubs are humdrum but there's decent local football and cricket. Thomas Gainsborough was born there,
    That sounds nice. Even though it's now a "bedroom community" for commuters, at least it's a proper town with a town center, etc. Not just sprawl that nobody cares about.

Aren't pubs supposed to be humdrum? One goes there to talk to friends, etc. I've noticed that in films and TV from the UK. At least in older movies/shows, the pubs never seem to have pop music or TVs constantly blaring in the background or a lot of random tat on the walls to give it "character."

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    It's an okay town with still some independent stores left and a twice-weekly market. Nice walks along the River Stour. Pubs are humdrum but there's decent local football and cricket. Thomas Gainsborough was born there,

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    In the small town where one of my sisters lives there must be at least 50 be-suited blokes on the branch railway platform at 6.30 waiting to catch the train - with a change - into London. 70 minute journey plus what comes before and after. Not sure that I'd be able to handle this for a long time.
    That makes me sad. Unless its a really nice town, but even then...

Leave a comment:

• pebblethefish
    replied
    For once today, I dressed smartly for work, as I had an internal interview. So of course today would be the day that I poured coffee all over myself.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Funky. My brother lived in an apartment complex just across from Amersfoort station. Small world.

He moved to the suburbs a while ago, though. Even more cycling.

Leave a comment:

• Aitch
    replied
    I live in Amersfoort, opposite the station. Like I said, the cycling is a perk.

Leave a comment:

• Logan Mountstuart
    replied
    Ah, sorry. Missed the last page. Where do you live??

Leave a comment:

• Logan Mountstuart
    replied
    Where's the new job, Aitch? I cant imagine anywhere 20k from Utreg without transport links. Then again, I voluntarily cycled Amersfoort to Nijkerk for 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    That's like, what, 4 hours plus travelling every day, Aitch?

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    Originally posted by WOM View Post
    He must really like living where he lives.
    My commute is about 90 minutes as it stands (and I am far from the only one who does it). It is among the reasons why a change of job / relocation are under consideration - not from my complaining, I might add.

Leave a comment:

• Aitch
    replied
    Originally posted by WOM View Post
    And a damn fine job, to boot!

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    In the small town where one of my sisters lives there must be at least 50 be-suited blokes on the branch railway platform at 6.30 waiting to catch the train - with a change - into London. 70 minute journey plus what comes before and after. Not sure that I'd be able to handle this for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    That must cover the whole of Holland...

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    A long commute.

Leave a comment:

• Aitch
    replied
    Yep, and a ten-minute walk at the other end.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Originally posted by Aitch View Post
    There's a one-hour train ride between the cycling and the work. The cycling is a perk.
    You'll cycle 20k, then get on a train for an hour?

Leave a comment:

• Felicity, I guess so
    replied
    It’s 26k to my work (I only do both ways in the same day occasionally, more at this less demanding/ lighter evening time of year) and I always need a shower.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    I aim to cycle everywhere to work and am lucky in not having a dress code.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X