No announcement yet.

What's your work dress code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a one-hour train ride between the cycling and the work. The cycling is a perk.

Comment

I aim to cycle everywhere to work and am lucky in not having a dress code.

Comment

It’s 26k to my work (I only do both ways in the same day occasionally, more at this less demanding/ lighter evening time of year) and I always need a shower.

Comment

Originally posted by Aitch View Post
          There's a one-hour train ride between the cycling and the work. The cycling is a perk.
          You'll cycle 20k, then get on a train for an hour?

Comment

Yep, and a ten-minute walk at the other end.

Comment

A long commute.

Comment

That must cover the whole of Holland...

Comment

He must really like living where he lives.

Comment

In the small town where one of my sisters lives there must be at least 50 be-suited blokes on the branch railway platform at 6.30 waiting to catch the train - with a change - into London. 70 minute journey plus what comes before and after. Not sure that I'd be able to handle this for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                      And a damn fine job, to boot!

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                        My commute is about 90 minutes as it stands (and I am far from the only one who does it). It is among the reasons why a change of job / relocation are under consideration - not from my complaining, I might add.

Comment

That's like, what, 4 hours plus travelling every day, Aitch?

Comment

Where's the new job, Aitch? I cant imagine anywhere 20k from Utreg without transport links. Then again, I voluntarily cycled Amersfoort to Nijkerk for 10 years.

Comment

Ah, sorry. Missed the last page. Where do you live??

Comment

I live in Amersfoort, opposite the station. Like I said, the cycling is a perk.

Comment

Funky. My brother lived in an apartment complex just across from Amersfoort station. Small world.

He moved to the suburbs a while ago, though. Even more cycling.

Comment

For once today, I dressed smartly for work, as I had an internal interview. So of course today would be the day that I poured coffee all over myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                      In the small town where one of my sisters lives there must be at least 50 be-suited blokes on the branch railway platform at 6.30 waiting to catch the train - with a change - into London. 70 minute journey plus what comes before and after. Not sure that I'd be able to handle this for a long time.
                                      That makes me sad. Unless its a really nice town, but even then...

Comment

It's an okay town with still some independent stores left and a twice-weekly market. Nice walks along the River Stour. Pubs are humdrum but there's decent local football and cricket. Thomas Gainsborough was born there,

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                          It's an okay town with still some independent stores left and a twice-weekly market. Nice walks along the River Stour. Pubs are humdrum but there's decent local football and cricket. Thomas Gainsborough was born there,
                                          That sounds nice. Even though it's now a "bedroom community" for commuters, at least it's a proper town with a town center, etc. Not just sprawl that nobody cares about.

Aren't pubs supposed to be humdrum? One goes there to talk to friends, etc. I've noticed that in films and TV from the UK. At least in older movies/shows, the pubs never seem to have pop music or TVs constantly blaring in the background or a lot of random tat on the walls to give it "character."

Comment

Oh, there's usually plenty of tat on the walls, but TVs are usually on silent and unless it's a young person's pub in the evening, music is usually quiet or off.
                                            Last edited by hobbes; 17-07-2019, 20:03.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                              Oh, there's usually plenty of year on the walls, but TVs are usually on silent and unless it's a young person's pub in the evening, music is usually quiet or off.
                                              Why do publicans put television sets on "silent", unless they're showing football? Every place I've ever been to in Portugal did it. Why?

Comment

In Spain too. No idea.

Comment

They're usually only on if there's support on.

Comment

What do you mean by "support"?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X