No announcement yet.

What's your work dress code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much of the time I'm at home, so whatever I feel like. When I am training face to face, I will wear smart trousers, shoes and a shirt (and if cold or overly air conned, a jacket). Likewise when doing a plenary at a conference. I very very rarely wear ties these days, unless I'm working in a country in which it is expected (ironically the Gulf, where local men wear dishdasha, is the worst for this)

By the way, what';s with that Trump picture that Ursus posted? Has he really got cress growing out of his pocket?

Comment

I think someone has just said, "Mr President, this is the Irish national flower..." and the rest was borne in cotton wool in a primary school classroom.

*I don't know if Ireland has an actual national flower, but if it's as good as Scotland's unicorn pisstake, you just won.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
        They're not stitched to stop people using the pockets once they've bought the suit though, any more than vents are stitched to stop people sitting down in their coat or jacket. They're just construction stitches that keep the garment tidy while it's being assembled and then on its way to the shop. You're actually supposed to remove them.
        I keep seeing people wearing coats and jackets that havent had the vent stitching removed. I don't think people know they should remove them. I do wonder how they sit down in these coats.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
          Yeah, I think I was doing too much of presenting my personal experience with shoes as the experience of all women, which is clearly not the case.

Despite being tiny and having tiny feet (I recently had to go on a special trip to buy women's steel toe-cap trainers because nowhere nearby sold them small enough and I didn't want to order online because I wasn't sure which size I needed. I'm usually a UK size 4, but I had to go down to a size 3 in these because they over-estimate how much extra room you need for work socks. The only available shoes were black with lots of neon pink detailing which really wound me up. Why, if I'm wearing steel toe-cap trainers would I need or want pink go faster stripes??? Anyway, I digress) my feet are actually very wide and flat, which is why all the pumps / ballet flats don't work for me. It would be great if they did.
          Have you tried Rieker shoes? My other half - who has relatively wide feet - loves them - she has several pairs, each of which is the most comfortable she's ever had. Not cheap (~£60 a pair), but worth it, apparently. FWIW I bought a pair on impulse last time I was waiting for her in the shop, and they are very comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
            I'm wearing a particularly nice flowery shirt today.
            We have an unofficial dress-down Friday, but I prefer to dress-up on Fridays - when else I'm going to get to wear my multitude of party shirts - flowery and otherwise - since I don't actually like going to parties?

Comment

I'm wearing a pink flowery shirt today.

Comment

It is heart warming to know that my late 70s wardrobe is still proving to be of use

Comment

I'm wearing a pink flowery shirt today.
                  There are some exceptional cases in which I would firmly approve of a dress code.

Comment

It is heart warming to know that my late 70s wardrobe is still proving to be of use

Did GO buy or is he renting?

Comment

I believe that the current term is "re-homing"

Comment

I'm Man At Debenhams, me.

Comment

I'm Man At Debenhams, me.

Does sir select from one of the designers' collections or the own-brand range?

Comment

Whatever looks prettiest...

Comment

An excellent choice!

Comment

Watching an Oireachtas committee hearing at the moment. One of the SF senators is wearing a t-shirt. Even by my standards that seems a bit too casual.

Comment

For years we wore a standard, dark blue combo of tough trousers, polo and fleece. It was smart, proper cotton and practical. In potentially dangerous situations we had a handy gilet jaune we could pull on.

For a couple of years since it's become fashionable to pretend you actually care about the welfare of your labour units, we have been told to wear some ridiculous fluorescent combo that makes us look like dustmen and feels effectively like wearing plastic. Very, very sweaty plastic.

Of course, since then we have gone rogue. We turn up to work looking like extras from a Mad Max film. We still wear the handy, fluorescent vests (the most prized ones being those wearing the previous company name, before the corporate takeover).

We're aware of safety. We are grown adults. Dressing your employees up as if they are naive children who need protecting is generally not good for your corporate image.

Comment

Someone needs to tell the Japanese.

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Duckett View Post

Have you tried Rieker shoes? My other half - who has relatively wide feet - loves them - she has several pairs, each of which is the most comfortable she's ever had. Not cheap (~£60 a pair), but worth it, apparently. FWIW I bought a pair on impulse last time I was waiting for her in the shop, and they are very comfortable.
                                      Ooh, I just googled those and I really like the look of them, thanks. No idea where might stock them near me (I don't like buying clothes or shoes online without having tried them on first, sending them back is too stressful).

Comment

https://www.rieker.co.uk/map

Comment

Well, yesterday saw me putting my name on a contract that will have me folding up my T-shirt and shorts and tucking my shirt-no-tie into suit trousers for a year. Just hope the pants can withstand the chafing of a 40 km bicycle commute every day.

Comment

Change at work?

Comment

P'raps, I didn't think about asking about a shower or changing rooms. I've been in T-shirt and shorts for the past 25 years and now I've got a "boss".

Comment

Dunno where you are but 40k is pretty sweaty when it's warm.

Comment

It's 20k each way, but you're right. I did it yesterday and tried to pedal very slowly. To no avail.

Comment

Is there a car or public transport option?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X