What's your work dress code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    Isn't it illegal to put anything in a pocket of a suit jacket? I'm sure I've been told it is.
    True. It's why they're stitched closed when you buy them

Comment

Are you two being serious?

Comment

When are we not?

Comment

For those of us who in latter years have been forced to wear glasses (me, for reading) some garment with pockets is always useful. Problem in these parts is the heat so one is forced to simply wear the specs all the time (not good for the eyes, I'm told), perch them on your head (weakens the arms), carry them in your hands (tedious) or have some kind of chain thingy round your neck.

Comment

Or hook one arm into the collar of your t-shirt.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                For those of us who in latter years have been forced to wear glasses (me, for reading) some garment with pockets is always useful. Problem in these parts is the heat so one is forced to simply wear the specs all the time (not good for the eyes, I'm told), perch them on your head (weakens the arms), carry them in your hands (tedious) or have some kind of chain thingy round your neck.
                That need does provide another use for that other personal modern workplace adornment - the lanyard.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                  Or hook one arm into the collar of your t-shirt.
                  Yeah that's my solution. Also whenever I'm going out and know I won't need glasses, then don't take them.

Comment

I need them for posting this, looking at menus...there is no way I can leave them at home.

Comment

Eighty percent of the time I'm wearing them, but when out walking the dog, or meeting someone for coffee I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        I've never given a monkey's, which has episodically caused some of my colleagues to complain that I "don't take the issue seriously".
                        Add this to the bee twitter thread as being the story of my life. My refusal to give a damn about reading tea leaves on employee surveys gets me all kinds of grief. Observing that I wasn't hired as a SME of human behavior doesn't help.

Comment

Do people really get threatened with being sacked if they don''t wear what their nominal superiors tell them to wear? Do they sign employment contracts that stipulate what they have to wear?

These are genuine questions. As I mentioned upthread, I've been working for longer than a lot of people here, and, apart from the safety shoes (which I understand), I've never taken a blind bit of notice about sartorial restrictions.

I'm not as union-savvy as some on here, but I know a bit. There are laws about that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                            Are you two being serious?
                            Well, I don't actually think there's a law, but apart from that, yes I'm being serious.

Comment

Well, I don't actually think there's a law, but apart from that, yes I'm being serious.
                              And certainly jacket pockets are stitched up when you buy a suit.

Comment

I don't know whether there are "smart togs at work" laws in Britain. But there's no way you could get anybody out here for not wearing, say, a collar and tie, unless his/her contract of employment says it's compulsory. A contract of employment here IS actually worth the paper it's written on. It's the primary, or at least initial, instance at an industrial tribunal.

Edit: Ah, right, you were on about pockets. As you were.
                                Last edited by treibeis; 10-07-2019, 21:51.

Comment

Do people really get threatened with being sacked if they don''t wear what their nominal superiors tell them to wear? Do they sign employment contracts that stipulate what they have to wear?
                                  Yes. And yes.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Yes. And yes.
                                    Jesus. I'm glad, and not for the first time, that I fucked off out of it when I did.

Comment

https://metro.co.uk/2017/01/26/are-e...-work-6406791/

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                        And certainly jacket pockets are stitched up when you buy a suit.
                                        They're not stitched to stop people using the pockets once they've bought the suit though, any more than vents are stitched to stop people sitting down in their coat or jacket. They're just construction stitches that keep the garment tidy while it's being assembled and then on its way to the shop. You're actually supposed to remove them.

Comment

I used to think that, when I was young. Then I got sent to prison and learned my lesson.

Comment

It is true that you aren't supposed to use the outside pockets on a suit jacket. Ruins the line, you see.

Comment

Using pretty much any pocket on any garment will "ruin the line" of it; if that was really such an important thing to avoid, there wouldn't be any pockets on anything. And yet there they are, so you might as well use them.

Comment

I worked at Heathrow airport with a colleague who had read the civil service dress code and came to work in shorts, which were permitted providing they were accompanied by knee length socks. He resigned soon after and ended up moving to Germany, where that style was more commonplace, I guess. There was also another who had a doctor's note for wearing a cowboy hat. The '90's, man. Crazy times.

Comment

I’m in the same game as AdeC but never got around to differentiating myself from the students- one or two colleagues do start new academic years in full suit and tie for that reason. Interestingly they often underestimate my age, as if a Buzzcocks t-shirt takes years off you.
                                                  Now I’m doing a lot of union representing I’m more likely to wear a shirt, with a cardigan in colder months and ever-present union badge

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                                    Using pretty much any pocket on any garment will "ruin the line" of it; if that was really such an important thing to avoid, there wouldn't be any pockets on anything. And yet there they are, so you might as well use them.
                                                    On a really good suit you have working button holes on the sleeves. You're not supposed to use them either.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X