Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your work dress code?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What do you mean by "support"?

    Comment


      Originally posted by hobbes View Post
      They're usually only on if there's support on.
      Somebody is going to have to help me out here.

      Comment


        'support in", I reckon.

        Comment


          Like, supporters, of one or other team involved in the televised game.

          Comment


            Originally posted by hobbes View Post
            Oh, there's usually plenty of tat on the walls, but TVs are usually on silent and unless it's a young person's pub in the evening, music is usually quiet or off.
            What kind of tat?

            Some bars here allow the tat to grow organically - pictures of staff or bands that played there, amateur teams it sponsored/supported, local pictures and art, perhaps advertising of beer brands that no longer exist.

            But some just put up all kinds of whimsical shit just for the sake of it or pictures of a far off place that it’s trying to replicate, like New Orleans or Italy or Ireland. Or an excessive amount of sports stuff - especially NASCAR and NFL stuff - provided by the beer vendors.

            The pubs I’ve been to in the UK (few) don’t seem to be so interested in chasing a “theme” like that other than, perhaps “we’ve been here for a long time.”

            Likewise, you have cafs that simply serve food with minimal thought to the decor or pretentious beyond feeding people. We used to have diners like that, but it’s a dying breed. It may be dying there too.

             

            Comment


              Originally posted by Sporting View Post
              What do you mean by "support"?
              I took this as a typo for "sport" e.g. the TVs in UK pubs are usually only switched on for specific sport matches, which don't really require sound, and otherwise are off.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                What do you mean by "support"?
                Sorry. Stupid autocomplete. "Sport."

                Comment


                  Ohhhhhh.

                  I never think of 'sport". Only football.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                    The pubs I’ve been to in the UK (few) don’t seem to be so interested in chasing a “theme” like that other than, perhaps “we’ve been here for a long time.”
                    I was taken to a pub in Edinburgh where they pride themselves on having a three inch thick layer of dust on all their tat. It was sickening and fascinating in equal measure.

                    The previously mentioned Reg's auto repair has tat everywhere. The best is the very large collection of framed show cars / custom cars / funny cars from the likes of George Barris et al from the '60s and '70s. Each of them has a hot babe across the hood who's now in her late seventies. He augments those with photocopied gags and cartoons, all of which hit the punchlines really hard with underlining and ALL CAPS on the pertinent words. He augments those with little biblical plaques in Italian and pictures of his roses.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                      What kind of tat?

                      Some bars here allow the tat to grow organically - pictures of staff or bands that played there, amateur teams it sponsored/supported, local pictures and art, perhaps advertising of beer brands that no longer exist.

                      But some just put up all kinds of whimsical shit just for the sake of it or pictures of a far off place that it’s trying to replicate, like New Orleans or Italy or Ireland. Or an excessive amount of sports stuff - especially NASCAR and NFL stuff - provided by the beer vendors.

                      The pubs I’ve been to in the UK (few) don’t seem to be so interested in chasing a “theme” like that other than, perhaps “we’ve been here for a long time.”
                      Well, the pubs going for 'traditional' will put up horse brasses and the like. There are specialist suppliers of this stuff, but their business is being pushed by eBay et al. Typical selection:- https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/brass_pub_decor

                      Comment


                        Just had an email from the CIO. There is a very major IT infrastructure shift happening for the next few weeks as part of separating $BIGCOMPANY from $VERYBIGCOMPANY. The email says that people will be working long hours, weekends and some overnights. As part of this, the (smart-ish) dress code is being relaxed for a few weeks. (The email also says "people are going to be very tired and stressed, so be patient and supportive and understanding".)

                        Comment


                          This is the one with the completely unworkable schedule, right?

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                            Just had an email from the CIO. There is a very major IT infrastructure shift happening for the next few weeks as part of separating $BIGCOMPANY from $VERYBIGCOMPANY. The email says that people will be working long hours, weekends and some overnights. As part of this, the (smart-ish) dress code is being relaxed for a few weeks. (The email also says "people are going to be very tired and stressed, so be patient and supportive and understanding".)
                            I'll translate this from IT speak to English for you... Next, Next, Finish, feet up, think of a number, enter that number as overtime into time entry system, repeat, and if anyone asks the work is incredibly complex and cannot in anyway be automated.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Janik View Post
                              Well, the pubs going for 'traditional' will put up horse brasses and the like. There are specialist suppliers of this stuff, but their business is being pushed by eBay et al. Typical selection:- https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/brass_pub_decor

                              I was having a Sunday stroll with some friends in South Herts. in the late-80s/early-90s and we popped into a pub whose walls were covered with non-antique pistols and machine guns. It was extraordinary - it looked like a recently unearthed arms cache has been decommissioned and pinned up on the local pub's walls by the plod.

                              TBH, I still can't quite believe what I saw.
                              Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 18-07-2019, 15:07.

                              Comment


                                We used to guzzle trays of draught beer* in a joint called The Pig's Ear at university. The walls had nothing on them but cheap wood panelling, which had a distinct dark 'band' that ran around the entire room. When you looked around a bit, the dark line was where the locals all rested the back of their heads as they got slowly sozzled.


                                *tray - 20 glasses - of ale or lager was pretty much all they did.

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  This is the one with the completely unworkable schedule, right?
                                  Ha. No. The message got through on that one.

                                  Comment


                                    But lots of overtime for some (un)lucky workers?

                                    Comment


                                      WOM, how large were the glasses?

                                      It sounds rather Kolschisch, though 20 is more than they do on a tray



                                      Comment


                                        The IT department has a dress code?

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                          Just had an email from the CIO. There is a very major IT infrastructure shift happening for the next few weeks as part of separating $BIGCOMPANY from $VERYBIGCOMPANY. The email says that people will be working long hours, weekends and some overnights. As part of this, the (smart-ish) dress code is being relaxed for a few weeks. (The email also says "people are going to be very tired and stressed, so be patient and supportive and understanding".)
                                          Why don't they get more staff in?

                                          (All right, I know why they don''t get more staff in. But it's a false economy.)
                                          Last edited by treibeis; 18-07-2019, 16:45.

                                          Comment


                                            Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            WOM, how large were the glasses? It sounds rather Kolschisch, though 20 is more than they do on a tray
                                            Small. 6 or 8 ounces, I'd bet. Not larger than 8.

                                            I've just googled the place, and it closed two years ago. It had been in business for 152 years. Holy crap...

                                            Comment


                                              Because it is a big job. They are separating their servers away from the other company. Some of these applications are big, several of them regulator sensitive. It's not about volume, it's about doing the work and keeping the plates spinning so that customer disruption is minimised. (It's a big energy supplier.)

                                              Comment


                                                Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                Because it is a big job. They are separating their servers away from the other company. Some of these applications are big, several of them regulator sensitive. It's not about volume, it's about doing the work and keeping the plates spinning so that customer disruption is minimised. (It's a big energy supplier.)
                                                Sounds more like a big energy drain...

                                                Comment


                                                  Very Kölschisch then.

                                                  A Kölsch glass is 200 ml or 6.76 oz.

                                                  They are filled like this

                                                  Comment


                                                    The guy at the Piggy pulled the tap around 5 and probably didn't turn it back off until 1 am. They sold trays of beer as fast as they could carry them. $15 for 20 draft, but this is in '86.

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X