So, Dubrovnik then...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Dubrovnik then...

My partner and I have the night in Dubrovnik a week on Friday. We're staying the night in the Old Town. What's good to do and where's good to eat? The following afternoon we're going down to the harbour to get on a catamaran on which we'll be island-hopping down to Split for the following seven days.

I went when it was in Yugoslavia, so my knowledge is somewhat out of date...

Comment

Just a nice place to chill out, you can walk round the Old Town, but don't recall anything else specific, loads of restaurants to eat at, albeit much dearer there than other spots in the vicinity.
      As in outside the Old Town, a bit of a tourist trap.

Comment

Same here

Though I would suggest avoiding any restaurant with a visible evocation to Game of Thrones or ostentatiously displayed multilingual menus.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Though I would suggest avoiding any restaurant with a visible evocation to Game of Thrones or ostentatiously displayed multilingual menus.
          Or any menus with photos of the dishes.

Comment

Truths of general application, these

Comment

Seconded. The Old Town is ace to wander around, but you can find cheaper outside it for eating. You don't have to, mind.

Are you ending up on Brac at any point? We spent five days in Milna last year and it was bloody wonderful.

Comment

It is one of my favourite regions in Europe. And the fish is wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  We visited while Game of Thrones was being filmed. I had never heard of the show at that point and spent the first two days thinking that all the extras we saw wandering around must be staff on a break from a very high spec local equivalent of The London Dungeon or similar.

The war museum on the ridge above the city is very evocative, but not that chilled. The Old Town experience is markedly different once the cruise ship visitors have left for the day; it visibly empties out and is much more relaxing from late afternoon onwards. There are some nice restaurants and wine bars on the narrow streets running uphill from the Placa (on your left if you have entered the city through the Pile gate). Taking a stroll and making a mental note of any that catch your eye to return to should yield reasonable results.

Comment

My advice is from 2015 and GoT has probably wiped it as useful but for what it's worth. Definitely try to get there and walk the walls by 11. Then get down off them and walk out to the south coast side and find your way through the town and under them to one of the (almost hidden) seaview bars for a drink. I think Buza Bar was the one we went to. It has about eight tables hence the need to get there bang on.

As for food inside the walls, we followed the usual trick of "side street just off main street" and it worked just fine. We went to a side street just off the main one all the GoT fans will be hoarding up and down ( the one on the south just next to the fountain iirc) and paid half the price for not being on the main drag. I'm not convinced, btw, that ursus' and Sporting's advice about menus with photos is universally true. I just think it means the owner realizes they're trying to attract tourists who don't speak fucking Croat, and are popular enough to be able to afford to get one made. Doesn't mean food's going to be McDonalds standard.
                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 08-07-2019, 15:10.

Comment

Oh and also have fun telling everyone saying that they're in King's Landing is that they're SO series two. King's Landing in season one was Mdina in Malta (just been).

Comment

Sporting's Rule has served me right in Spain, Portugal, Prague, anywhere with mass tourism. It's not that the restaurant has an English menu, it's more when these are prominently promoted at the entrance, often by guys in bad formal waiter outfits, and especially if accompanied by garish coloured photographs.

Comment

But you already know the phrase for “battered pizza” in 19 different languages.

Comment

Hmmm. Talking to king of the pizza snobs here.

Comment

Mr. "An Enchilada is a Burrito with Gravy, isn't it", in fact.

Comment

Did I ever type that? Jaysus.

Comment

Ah, our Liverpool food critic.

Comment

Ursus misrepresents me. I started that as a genuinely jokey question and that statement had, indeed, a question mark at the end that he's removed. It was intended to -and succeeded in - educating me in the difference.

But hey, this is how Trump operates. FAKE OTF PEOPLE!
                                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 08-07-2019, 17:22.

Comment

Thanks all. Getting proper into holiday mode now.

Comment

I'm off to somewhere a little way out of Dubrovnik for 12 days next month with the family. Any further advice welcome.

On the sporting front hoping to see the final/latter stages of the local "Wild League" Water Polo (and the pro team VK Jug if it's their season) and maybe some pre-season for the local third tier team NK GOSK. May even try a day trip to Split as Hajduk have a league game right in the middle of the trip.

Any tips on those or non-sporting things which should compose the vast majority of the holiday!
                                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-07-2019, 16:27.

Comment

Doesn't look good for water polo, at least in terms of official matches.

As to the rest: take boats, go to the beach, eat fish, drink wine.

Comment

Yeah, there appears to be a World Championships right now and think the league starts later in the year.

The Wild League looks like it could be interesting though :

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                              I'm off to somewhere a little way out of Dubrovnik for 12 days next month with the family. Any further advice welcome.

On the sporting front hoping to see the final/latter stages of the local "Wild League" Water Polo (and the pro team VK Jug if it's their season) and maybe some pre-season for the local third tier team NK GOSK. May even try a day trip to Split as Hajduk have a league game right in the middle of the trip.

Any tips on those or non-sporting things which should compose the vast majority of the holiday!
                                              We went to Hajduk once - not entirely confident of the local bus timetable we got a taxi, and on arrival asked the driver where the ticket office was, and he motioned to go round the corner, which we did, to be met by the sight of two lads smoking fags at a trestle table with a pile of tickets and a biscuit tin. And once in it was maybe a quarter full. So basically don't worry about pre booking tickets (unless they are playing Dinamo). We did manage to get a bus back into the centre, but it's not that far (and downhill on the way back).

Comment

I've seen outdoor water polo in Italy.

They had flares, but no pirate ships.

Comment

Ray, assuming the coast there is similar to around Split, it should be absolutely beautiful clear seas - although stony-ish beaches as I remember. Although Split is a nice enough city to look at and nearby Trogir is a very nice walled town, Dubrovnik seems like a far prettier city. Island-hopping is very much the thing around Split and there are a fair few around Dubrovnic as well so that is definitely a possibility, I would have thought. Indeed, we travelled as much by boat as anything else when we were there.

Oh, and the Dalmatian liver specialty is not as it sounds.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X