Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is it with British (UK) Home Secretaries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is it with British (UK) Home Secretaries?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...rough-sleepers

Plans drawn up to use charities to help deport rough sleepers?

I'm trying to think of all the Home Secretaries during my lifetime that I remember while being aware of the news, and I can only think of two that weren't complete and utter turds.

Roy Jenkins and Ken Clarke

That's the job. Jenkins and Clarke both arseholes too, of course

Comment

But not inherently bad people.

Unlike the other fuckers.

Do they get their job because of their mindsets, or does the job imbue them with fascism, control-freakery, and the will to destroy the rights of citizens under the law?

Comment

We have different standards. I remember much less about Jenkins than I know about Clarke, who is thoroughly vile.

Comment

On Jenkins's watch sexual relations between consenting adults was decriminalised

As was attempted suicide IIRC.

And women were granted the right to decide for themselves what to do with their own bodies.

Comment

I'd forgotten, but of course he was the Home Secretary who pushed through the PTA.

Comment

Well it's hard to not be a bastard when you're home secretary. Even if you embarked on a campaign of systematically rooting out every incident of home office bastardry, and you were somehow to achieve it, you would still have run up a huge list of horrendous things done in your name, that would condemn you as a bastard. The UK home office are particularly awful, but what would expect from a government and political establishment with such a limited respect for individual rights, and with so few legal checks on it.

Comment

Still.

Now we've got Priti Patel, things can only get better.

Comment

And the same goes for their department too.

Presumably the Home Secretary who signed off on this was Sajid Javid?

British-born woman was told she has 14 days to leave the country or she will be deported.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/26/music...ntry-10074909/

And no, it's not a "complex case" at all, is it?

Comment

Thanks Guy,

I remember this bit of legislation at the time (I was 10 at the time). The legislation was well known at the time in the Nigerian community as it's intention was to stop a known scam.
                    Pregnant women were able to get off the plane from Nigeria having a kid in the UK and then flipping that to grant the whole family British citizenship.

This was no way as common as the media painted it at the time and it wasn't a big issue because you could live "legally" as an illegal immigrant in the UK with little fear of being deported (unless you committed a crime worthy of a custodial sentence).

Most of these kids were born to middle class families who had little intention of sticking around in the UK, most were students or did it as an insurance policy if the country went to shit (like in the 60's) and they needed somewhere to flee to.
                    Reading the article, I assumed this lady's parents go in the above category, as he grandfather studied medicine in the UK, the family aren't short of a few bob.

Like the windrush people, this only became an issue in the last 10 years when the government started to aggressively go after people who regardless how long they have been living here, didn't have official status and removing their right to work or obtain public services.

Comment

We came under a lot of pressure from the UK to have a referendum to change our citizenship laws, because the UK govt was threatening to end the common travel agreement, because the fabric of british society was being torn asunder by women from africa, who were apparently arriving into Dublin giving birth, and heading off to the UK with their Irish citizen child.... etc. Now aside from the obvious damage this has done to our international football team (it seems like about a third of the english players who won all those underage tournaments are eligible for nigeria) and we might only get michael obafemi out of this, this was a bad thing to do.

Comment

Also Michael McDowell and Bertie saw racism as a vote winner.

Comment

Afolabi wants to stick with you too, he says.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                            Thanks Guy,

I remember this bit of legislation at the time (I was 10 at the time). The legislation was well known at the time in the Nigerian community as it's intention was to stop a known scam.
                            Pregnant women were able to get off the plane from Nigeria having a kid in the UK and then flipping that to grant the whole family British citizenship.

This was no way as common as the media painted it at the time and it wasn't a big issue because you could live "legally" as an illegal immigrant in the UK with little fear of being deported (unless you committed a crime worthy of a custodial sentence).

Most of these kids were born to middle class families who had little intention of sticking around in the UK, most were students or did it as an insurance policy if the country went to shit (like in the 60's) and they needed somewhere to flee to.
                            Reading the article, I assumed this lady's parents go in the above category, as he grandfather studied medicine in the UK, the family aren't short of a few bob.

Like the windrush people, this only became an issue in the last 10 years when the government started to aggressively go after people who regardless how long they have been living here, didn't have official status and removing their right to work or obtain public services.

Yes.

This whole "living here illegally" thing was ramped up during the last decade far more than it had ever been in the past.

If only I can remember on whose watch as Home Secretary (and at whose behest and urging) this happened, but the name escapes me for the moment...

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Yes.

This whole "living here illegally" thing was ramped up during the last decade far more than it had ever been in the past.

If only I can remember on whose watch as Home Secretary (and at whose behest and urging) this happened, but the name escapes me for the moment...

To be fair, the government of the day had always talked tough on "sending em back" but until the last 10 years tended to focus more on legislation to stop more coming over (tougher border checks, tougher visa requirements)and removing those who had not been here long and so had little substantial roots. So they tended to be recent migrants from Africa/Asia and the Indian subcontinent as well as convicted crimninals like Yardie drug dealers or Nigerian fraudsters.
                              This was usually more than enough to placate the domestic bigots, but the stuff under May was above and beyond, there was always an unwritten rule that those who had been here a significant period of time were allowed to stay. Especially those who were born and schooled in the UK. Technically, they could always had been deported but were usually given Indefinite Leave to Remain as it was politically incovenient to deport someone born and raised in the UK with a Glasweigan accent to bongo bongo land.
                              Last edited by Tactical Genius; 02-08-2019, 09:40.

Comment

Working...
                              X