No announcement yet.

What Me? Now I'm Worried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alfred E. Neuman is the fictitious mascot and cover boy of the American humor magazine Mad. The character's face had drifted through U.S. iconography for decades, and appeared in the early 1930s on a presidential campaign postcard with the caption, "Sure I'm for Roosevelt". Mad editor Harvey Kurtzman claimed the image in 1954, and it was named "Alfred E. Neuman" by the magazine's second editor, Al Feldstein, in 1956. -- Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      The Wiki has a long discussion, but the short answer is no.

Cheers.

Comment

Al Jaffee has died aged 102. RIP and thanks for the memories.

Comment

My wife just told me, and I had to confess that I didn't know who it was.
          I understand why she told me, her late father became a big fan of MAD magazine when he was young - it helped him to learn some English, being a Finnish native back when English wasn't so readily spoken - and how it represents a loss of connection for her.
          I get that with silly things with my late father, when somebody in popular culture passes away who I know my Father would have known, just a little paper cut to the soul, but a reminder that we loved somebody other than ourselves. A big part of that is that I have absolutely no mementoes of his to look upon and reminisce over, so it has transferred in various ways.
          R.I.P

Comment

Put me down as a fan also. Loved the artwork even though I often didn’t get the references. Loved Fat Freddy’s Cat as well.

I can still picture strips from decades ago.

Couldn’t tell you what I had for breakfast today though.

Comment

I told my wife this just this morning. She had no clue what I was on about, but made all the right noises. I was in love with MAD for about five years, and still have a ton in a plastic bag in the basement. When I was 11 or 12, a neighbour with two older sons gave me a massive bag of MAD from the late '60s onward. No joke, Simpsons fans, but I grew up on Spiro Agnew gags.

His obituary is fascinating. At 102, it's bound to be. But he literally was almost fed into the maw of the Nazis after starting life safe and sound in America.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/10/a...smid=url-share

Comment

'Is Al Jaffee dead?'
                'No, he's in training for next year's World's Stiffest Man contest!' (Etc.)

Not sure how this thread passed me by. I loved Mad magazine as a teenager and still have several of the paperbacks: I foolishly sold a job lot of them to my cousin back in 1978 for £5 (a lot of money in those days, etc) - he says he still has a few knocking about. The US version of the mag was where it was at - some of those 1960s and 1970s issues are absolute classics: I particularly enjoyed the TV, movie and ad parodies and the 'baseball card'-features they'd often run. (Somebody on another age-old thread was extolling the virues of Al Jaffee's often-brilliant Mad fold-in on the back cover.)

Jaffee in particular was a genius, so I'm sorry to hear that he's gone - albeit at a ripe old age. I'll definitely read that obit when I catch the train later.

So that's him, Mort Drucker, Antonio Prohías and Dave Berg gone to the great drawing board in the sky: I gather that Sergio Aragones is still going, so that's something.

Comment

https://twitter.com/daviddegrand/status/1645562347195359238?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    Jaffee in particular was a genius, so I'm sorry to hear that he's gone - albeit at a ripe old age. I'll definitely read that obit when I catch the train later.

So that's him, Mort Drucker, Antonio Prohías and Dave Berg gone to the great drawing board in the sky: I gather that Sergio Aragones is still going, so that's something.
                    The editorial staff at Mad kinda remind me of long-lasting semi-successful rock band with a loyal and hugely dedicated following — The Grateful Dead perhaps.

Comment

Yes, there's definitely a level of revelrous hippydom about that circle of guys.

('Plain clothes', in Dave Berg's case.)

Comment

And like a rock band they'd been together a long time

https://twitter.com/michaelerich5/status/1646417595027824641?s=20

Comment

Yes, I should've added Will Elder.

Comment

That photo is from the year Music & Art first opened, it being another Fiorello LaGuardia joint (its successor now bears his name)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                              Yes, I should've added Will Elder.
                              ...and Don Martin.

Comment

Working...
                              X