Belfast, July 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belfast, July 4

Any tips on things to do to kill a few hours in the city centre tomorrow? Art gallery, museum, something relatively quiet?

The Crown is nice. Or you could go on a walking tour and learn about the banality and mundanity of evil. And if that doesn't appeal, you could go to the titanic museum and give us a review. I would like a special report on how they cover no-one mentioning the titanic (unless you were looking for a kicking) in belfast between the iceberg, and the movie. And yet there is now a museum dedicated to this enormously embarrassing disaster.

Comment

It's a really lovely city centre grid, way more Proper Urban in a compact space than Dublin. Manchester meets Leeds meets Glasgow in its mill/sandstone Victoriana old Bank HQs, with roads wide enuf for a proper cavalry charge compared to "mainland" uk equivalents. There is a nice enough "French style" terrace bar overlooking Donegall Square on the first floor of some Baroque and Roll building (cafe Parisien).

The Cathedral Quarter is like a less shit Temple Bar (Salt bistro on St Anne's Sq was v nice), the Botanics and Queens Uni grounds are braw for a walk if it's sunny. There's a covered food/craft market that's daycent as well, but dunno if that's just weekends.

couldnt find decent pizza but, less Neapolitan than 80s Fife (too much grated cheese and jarred tomato sauce, on a brittle base) Italian vibe at Little Wing, supposedly the best joint there.
      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 03-07-2019, 23:23.

Comment

There are mad silent electric buses pretending to be trams as well.

Comment

Go to the Tourist Office and take a Black Taxi tour.

Very enlightening.

Even the obligatory open top bus tour wasn't too bad either.

Also
          Zimbabwe in Ireland 2019 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/46467135
          Last edited by George C.; 04-07-2019, 08:48.

Comment

Indoors if raining: Ulster Museum, Linen Hall Library, Clifton House (all central)

Outdoor if dry: Stormont Estate, Cave Hill, Botanic Gardens. An all-day pink bus ticket is about £4

Partly agree with others' tips. The Crown's over-rated, try Lavery's on Bradbury Place instead. The Titanic has always been an embarrassment.

Glider (the pretend tram) is silly

Organised tours often fund paramilitarism (and cost a lot more than £4)

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
              The Titanic has always been an embarrassment.
              Not to everyone...... I suspect that the sinking would have been felt more keenly across the sectarian divide if it didn't leave belfast with the words "This machine kills home rulers" painted on the side.

Comment

1 Cliftonville FC
                2 Crusaders FC
                3 DG childhood home
                4 Site of Jonathan Swift home (Lilliput Street)
                5 Alexandra Park Kids' Playground Peaceline
                6 Hillman Street UDA Kindergarten ('Romper Room')
                7 Cassidy's Bar (popular with NW Belfast Green Party & Cliftonville support)
                8 The Grove playing fields
                9 Rossi's Cafe (since ca 1890; distant cousins of the Quo frontman)
                10 Belfast Royal Academy (posh grammar which hardly anyone from the map area attends)

Comment

Cheers all. I did the Botanic Gardens and Ulster Museum. The latter was full of dragons, which cheered my Welsh heart. Am foregoing afternoon drinking with the Barry support to meet some local friends.

Comment

Also of note. No Brexit beer mats in Belfast Wetherspoons

Comment

So day 2 of my trip was spent with friends who took me to Titanic Belfast. I was really impressed with it as an attraction. They cover the shipbuilding in detail, and the sinking is also humanely and sensitively explained. I found that part quite moving.

We also went on to the SS Nomadic next door and enjoyed learning it's chequered history. After lunch at an "honesty cafe" we went to my friend's hometown of Carrickfergus and saw the castle, which looks a lot like Castle Greyskull.

There's Game of Thrones stuff everywhere in Belfast. They're making a concerted effort to promote it , hoping that people will think of GoT when they ghjnk of Belfast, apparently.

I also saw the Big Blue Fish while waiting to meet my friends. He's cool.

Comment

Stare at the Harland and Wolf shipyards, which set against the hilly backdrop are one of the most glorious sights in Ireland.

Comment

If I'd known PT was going to Carrick would have recommended Dobbin's Inn. Historic pub with with its own priesthole, and Greg the bar manager is Crusaders' programme editor

I'm more wary of Jacq's bar nearby which looks like the other Castle Greyskull aka Ibrox Park...
                          Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 09-07-2019, 10:20.

Comment

So day 2 of my trip was spent with friends who took me to Titanic Belfast. I was really impressed with it as an attraction. They cover the shipbuilding in detail, and the sinking is also humanely and sensitively explained. I found that part quite moving.

yes, but did they cover the "Fuck you, you backward peasant catholic scum and marvel at the power and technological superiority of unionism" angle of it?

Comment

Berba- give it a fucking rest will you. Or I'll come round and batter ye with a giant Hovis. When did you last go near a Catholic, let alone one from 1912 Belfast?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

yes, but did they cover the "Fuck you, you backward peasant catholic scum and marvel at the power and technological superiority of unionism" angle of it?

No reference to Manchester United - 6/10.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

That's the slogan on the gift shop tea towels

Comment

Working...
                                  X