Quack science aggregation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quack science aggregation thread

As an adjunct and contrast to the Theranos thread, here's one for all the quack scientific devices designed to con money from the needy and gullible...

First up, Westfield Shopping Centre

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48839108​​​​​​

Very meta of you to use a dead link for a quack science thread.

Comment

Remember Steorn?

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48839108 should be a copy?

Comment

Oh, it's the Sami Nasri story.

Westfield are just their landlords.

Comment

When I was living in Chongqing, China, around 2005-2007, IV drips were seen as the go to treatment for pretty much every minor health condition. Got a cold? Go on a broad-spectrum antibiotic drip, you'll be back at work in two hours. Hungover? Get a drip before work and no-one will ever know. Broken your arm? Go on a drip while you're waiting for the x-ray.

I resisted all attempts to stick me on a drip. My colleagues thought I was very weird, and basically a shirker, for staying off work for two days with flu rather than going and getting a drip. The opinion was, either you're well enough to work, or you're ill and need to be put on a drip immediately. There was no concept of an inbetween level where you just needed to rest and recover by yourself.

Comment

Did they see B-12 shots as a panacea as well?

They tended to appeal to the same demographic over here.

Comment

I'd heard they were being used as hangover "cures" in the US. I had no idea they a) had come over here, and b) were being promoted for pretty much everything. Christ.

Comment

When I was doing support on Race Across America a couple of years ago, the rider that we didn't like (and that we didn't know beforehand) was trying to persuade us to be prepared to stick an IV saline drip in his arm for rehydration every few hours, even though none of us had any medical training at all. We refused, but it appears that some people just view it as so commonplace these days that they're prepared to ask untrained strangers to do it.

Comment

@schneiderleonid on twitter is constantly highlighting fraud and quackery in academic science

He can be very mean spirited at times, but is generally a hero

Lately he's been going after some surgeon.

Comment

Here's definitive quack science

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        Oh, it's the Sami Nasri story.

Westfield are just their landlords.
                        Westfield are equally happy to take the money to host them.

They have a duty of due diligence

Guilt by association.

Scum.

Fuck 'em.

Comment

I mean, they really don't. I'm not saying you should think well of them or anything, but it's not like landlords ordinarily do ethical due diligence on their tenants.

Comment

Working...
                          X