No announcement yet.

Moonshot memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very. Must have watched the lead up and gone down the pub. Saw the landing the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

We’re talking about the f’ing moon. How much more exotic could it get?!?
      Do you remember Apollo 15. I know exactly what Logan is referring to and thank him for rekindling some special memories.

Comment

My recollection is that several hours passed between the time that the Lunar Module touched down and the time that Armstrong stepped onto the surface. As a result, people can in good faith have different ideas of what constituted the "landing".

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Do you remember Apollo 15. I know exactly what Logan is referring to and thank him for rekindling some special memories.
          No I don’t.

What made it more “exotic?”

Comment

You can see it all on youtube. I discovered this by falling asleep while watching a youtube video And when I woke up, autoplay had moved on to this.

Comment

In a single image

Comment

I was 7 years old. I still have the 'Man In Flight' commemorative coin collection you got from the garage when you bought petrol somewhere.

Comment

Esso. The first coin was Icarus and Daedalus.

Comment

My entire life is a fraud. I always thought I watched it live at school. I was five and in Mrs Lyon's class. Now, 50 years later I realise I was watching a REPLAY. Who can I sue?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                      And the last was Apollo 11 (not surprisingly)
                      Last edited by willie1foot; 02-07-2019, 04:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                        My entire life is a fraud. I always thought I watched it live at school. I was five and in Mrs Lyon's class. Now, 50 years later I realise I was watching a REPLAY. Who can I sue?
                        What we did see live at school that year was Prince Charles' investiture, which was very boring, though made a little more interesting for me given that it took place in my home town,

Comment

Were there any dissenting voices - "We should be spending this money on housing and healthcare" - or did that come later? Marvin Gaye had a dissenting lyric on the What's Going On album but that was 1971.

Comment

There were lots.
                            That’s portrayed in First Man. I don’t think any of the previous films about the space program mentioned it.

Comment

Second attempt with added cartoon:

I remember this cartoon being on the front page of the Daily Express the morning after. Twats! (Sorry for the poor quality and the orientation.)

Comment

Still no cartoon for me.

Comment

15 landed at Hadley Ridge. A mile or so from a gorge thousands of feet deep, and then set off in the rover up the slopes of a mountain 20000ft high. Exotic enough?

When Scott and Irwin moved towards the edge of the gorge, mission control were absolutely shitting themselves. Scott said that he wished he'd brought a rope so he could get even closer.

Scott was also the first to really take the geological aspect seriously, and trained intensively for it before the mission, which set the tone for the last two missions as well.

11, 12 and 14 were really just get on and get off missions in comparison.

Other things I definitely remember :

Our headmistress coming into our class to tell us that Apollo 13 had landed safely.

Cernan and Schmitt singing "I was strolling on the Moon one day, in the merry merry month of, er, December".

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                    You can see it all on youtube. I discovered this by falling asleep while watching a youtube video And when I woke up, autoplay had moved on to this.
                                    I remember listening to something about that on the radio a few years ago. The Apollo 11 pictures were relayed to Australia, because Australia was facing the moon at the time. The video on the screen in Australia couldn't be rebroadcast to television because of broadcast format incompatibility. So they simply pointed a television camera at that screen, which is actually the main reason for the poor quality of the television picture. Now, apparently somebody in Australia was actually recording the original live feed directly to tape, but forgot about it and wiped most of the tapes. But a couple of years ago, they found some unwiped tape that had a couple of minutes of the original feed on it.

Comment

I started a thread over on Films about Apollo 11 which is the documentary that came out last week which features footage from NASA's own archive. Remarkable film. Worth dipping a toe into my OP not for my musings but more so for the comments of one my fellow audience members afterwards.Sadly, I was two when the landing happened so have no memory of it but have always been fascinated by it.

Comment

You americans and english with your cars.....

In fairness, that buggy was so cool. The moon machines episode on it is quite interesting.

Comment

The first Apollo mission I remember was 9. I do remember for Apollo 11 being at junior school and the big TV being trundled into the assembly hall, where we were all gathered, cross-legged, to watch. I have been far more full of wonder at the moon landings in adulthood than I was as a kid, when I took it in my stride, the world naturally developing in big leaps and bounds. I fully understood them stopping bothering after 1972 out of sheer boredom, it seemed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                            Yes, the Esso coins were my main memory of the event. I had a small pile to play with: Neil Armstrong at left back, Gordon Banks in the lunar module. Happy days, childhood collections built on fossil fuels and fags.

We didn't have a TV and I have no recollection of watching the moon landing, unlike Man City winning the cup, my virgin final.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

Yes, the Esso coins were my main memory of the event. I had a small pile to play with: Neil Armstrong at left back, Gordon Banks in the lunar module. Happy days, childhood collections built on fossil fuels and fags.

We didn't have a TV and I have no recollection of watching the moon landing, unlike Man City winning the cup, my virgin final.
                                              Yeah, I had a fair amount of the England WC coins as well, but I think I used those to rob vending machines

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                                                15 landed at Hadley Ridge. A mile or so from a gorge thousands of feet deep, and then set off in the rover up the slopes of a mountain 20000ft high. Exotic enough?
                                                But it's all on THE MOON, which more "exotic" than anyone has ever been before or since by about 238,000 miles.
                                                I get the sense that people quickly got bored of the idea of sending people to the moon very quickly, so they had to go up mountains and takes bigger risks just to keep it exciting.

The Onion got it right.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 04-07-2019, 02:25.

Comment

Brilliant. Exactly what any of us would say.

Comment

Hmm, I've just worked out that my mum was 18 and my dad was 20 at the time of the first moon landing, but I've never heard either of them talk about their experiences of watching it or what they thought of it. I'll have to ask them next time I see them.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X