Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dishes that have the same names in different places but are essentially different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_sign

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      Yes, "we" really do do this here

Sorry if it's been mentioned as I've not read the whole thread, but I've seen this thing called ox-eye eggs, or bullseye eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
        Urban Dictionary reckons only one donkey;

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...ey%27s%20years
        Urban Dictionary is wrong (or mistaken) then - as was I when I posted initially.

Otherwise one would surely say 'a donkey's years'.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

Sorry if it's been mentioned as I've not read the whole thread, but I've seen this thing called ox-eye eggs, or bullseye eggs.
          I don't care what you call it, I want one now. I could make myself one for lunch, but I don't have the right bread. I'm very particular about the kind of bread I use for different types of sandwiches or eggy bread. For this, it has to be a nice hearty white bread (and for the Americans in the house, I don't mean Wonder Bread--I mean like Vermont organic country white bread or similar). I only have Dave's Killer Bread, which is great for toast and non egg based sandwiches. Actually, I think it might be OK for this too. I'm hungry, so regular bread rules are hereby suspended.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Urban Dictionary is wrong (or mistaken) then - as was I when I posted initially.

Otherwise one would surely say 'a donkey's years'.
            You're probably right.

Logically, then, it's "for fucks' sake" and not "for fuck's sake"?

Comment

Is it?

Compare "I don't give a fuck" to "She has no fucks to give"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                That’s me. I don’t do runny and I eat in the car.
                I see how both of those statements would go together.

Comment

Hold on, hold on, no-one's going to ask what the fuck was going on with the egg yolk scene?

Comment

You've never seen Tampopo?

You need to get that taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

You're probably right.

Logically, then, it's "for fucks' sake" and not "for fuck's sake"?
                      Well, not really, because 'f*ck' simply replaces 'Christ' or 'God' in that instance. ('Sake' belongs to 'Christ/God/f*ck', so it's a singular possessive apostrophe.)

Comment

Fuck's sake.

Donkey's years

Dog's bollocks

Bee's knees

Comment

Donkeys' years.

You'll note that all the others are singular and preceded by a definite article. ('F*ck's sake' doesn't fit into the same category.)

Comment

Makes no sense in the plural. Together, even houseflies have a lot of years.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                              Makes no sense in the plural. Together, even houseflies have a lot of years.
                              It does. As Jah Womble said, it's preceded by a definite article.

"Fuck's sake" is a substitute for "Christ's sake". There was only one Christ. All right, there was NO Christ, but you know what I mean.
                              ​​

Comment

Nope. It makes none. None at all. Why would lots of donkeys having lots of years be remarkable? Answer - it isn't.

Comment

Most of the examples (going back donkeys years) in this link are in the singular form:

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2...eys-years.html

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                    Nope. It makes none. None at all. Why would lots of donkeys having lots of years be remarkable? Answer - it isn't.
                                    I don't know how long your average donkey lives (although I know it's not long enough; I like almost nothing, but I like donkeys).

But it's irrelevant here, as are houseflies. I'm sure some Linguistics professor called Nigel could state a case for both apostrophe positions, but his theories would be weakened by the fact that he's a cunt.

As I am, but for other reasons, but I'm right.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post

Which one did you work in? Would be kind of funny if you worked at the same one I always went to (Somerville Ave).
                                      I worked in the one in Porter Square for 2 years (1990-92) Started waiting tables, moved to host... It's now a Target.

Comment

That's so weird--we might have met.

Comment

I haven't seen Tampopo but that clip has given me a vivid reminder of a French art house film called The Dreamers.

Back when I was at university, every year on Valentine's Day, there was a massive blind date organised. If you wanted to take part, I think you paid £5 to charity and filled in a form. You could state your gender, whether you were single or already in a relationship, and which gender you were interested in being set up with (male, female or don't care). The woman wrote on the paper where and when the date would start (I don't know what happened for men who wanted to meet men). All my friends used to go on the dates and we would always arrange a backup place to meet if the date wasn't going well.

Anyway, second year, I think I was single and I met this guy in the bar of the local art house theatre. It was immediately clear that we had nothing in common to talk about. He was a choir scholar, very straight-laced, an evangelical Christian and I'm fairly sure that he should really have ticked the other box about which gender he was interested in. I panicked and suggested we go and watch the next film that was showing, so we didn't have to chat much. I figured at least then we would have something to discuss afterwards.

The film that was showing next was 'the dreamers'. It had very little description on the ticket and we went straight in. I couldn't remember the name of the film but I just found it by googling 'French art house film twin incest fried eggs running through the Louvre' which is a particularly odd combination to now have in my search history.

Suffice to say, we still didn't have anything to say to each other after the film.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

I've got friends from the North east (near Middlesbrough who call that 'eggy bread'.

Comment

I don't care what you call it, I want one now. I could make myself one for lunch, but I don't have the right bread. I'm very particular about the kind of bread I use for different types of sandwiches or eggy bread. For this, it has to be a nice hearty white bread (and for the Americans in the house, I don't mean Wonder Bread--I mean like Vermont organic country white bread or similar). I only have Dave's Killer Bread, which is great for toast and non egg based sandwiches. Actually, I think it might be OK for this too. I'm hungry, so regular bread rules are hereby suspended.
                                              Dave's Killer Bread is great for anything, including egg based sandwiches.

Comment

Flynnie it is the best. I had to buy another brand the other day and discovered that it has ruined me for any other bread.

Comment

Flynnie it is the best. I had to buy another brand the other day and discovered that it has ruined me for any other bread.
                                                  Yeah, most of my time in the UK is spent trying to find a sliced loaf as good as DKB.

Comment

Apropos the mention upthread of eggy bread.

Eggy bread is french toast, surely?

Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

And as for nonsense that's Welsh rarebit.

Welsh rabbit.

People who say rarebit pronounced phoenix as foe-nicks when they were at school.

And liked Crackerjack.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X