Dublin, July 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dublin, July 3

I‘ll be looking for a decent pub to watch the second semi-final of the WWC at 8pm, and drinking partners willing to stand their round. Anyone up for it?

I should be available if you're in the city centre, there are plenty of pubs in the area will have the game on. I'd suggest the Foggy Dew beside the Central bank building on Dame street, you can't miss it.

Comment

oooh I'd love to come to this, but I've just squandered my quarterly weekend in Dublin on this weekend.

Comment

I'm in Belfast the following day for live European football.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
          I should be available if you're in the city centre, there are plenty of pubs in the area will have the game on. I'd suggest the Foggy Dew beside the Central bank building on Dame street, you can't miss it.
          Sounds good. Will check in again next week to see if we have any more willing participants.

Comment

The reason I‘m in Dublin is for a July 4-5 conference at TU Dublin on The Art of Football. The organisers say anyone can come - in fact the Wednesday drink-up to watch the second SF is turning in to a semi-official pre-conference meet-up, with venue to be announced. I‘ll keep you posted. These things are usually very casual and not taken too seriously (reflected in the fact they never mind total non-academics like me delivering dubious papers). Conference details here.

Also, on Thursday evening there‘s a public screening at Dalymount of the film Football As Never Before, with live score by Michael Nolan. I can’t open the press release because I haven’t got Word on my iPad, but it also appears to be going under the title George Best in Dalymount. You can get tickets in advance for €12.50.

Comment

I'm going to the George Best thing, you'll be sick of the sight of me.

Comment

I‘ve just read up on the film now - really looking forward to it.

Comment

UPDATE: The conference organisers like elguapo4's suggestion of Foggy Dew for Wednesday evening, so it's now confirmed. I'll probably get there around 7pm. I'll be the grey-haired, stooping, bald patch bloke with bandy legs, and if I'm not drinking Guinness it'll be because between now and Wednesday my doctor's advised me to quit alcohol.

On Thursday evening, doors for the film are 7pm, with the film being shown at 9.30pm. Not sure what the two and a half hours are for, but I'm guessing there's a bar. Before that, there's a game at TU campus at 6pm between the academics and 1815FC, Ireland's artists-run football club. I'm the ref, if you want to see amateur shiteness in action and have the chance to yell real-life abuse and threats in my direction.

Comment

Grand, I should be there around 7 as well, it's not a big place should be able to find each other easily enough, I'll see you then.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                      Before that, there's a game at TU campus at 6pm between the academics and 1815FC, Ireland's artists-run football club. I'm the ref, if you want to see amateur shiteness in action and have the chance to yell real-life abuse and threats in my direction.
                      I look forward to that particular blog entry.

Comment

Foggy Dew is closed today for renovations. New venue is Lotts at 9 Liffey St. Lower.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                          UPDATE: The conference organisers like elguapo4's suggestion of Foggy Dew for Wednesday evening, so it's now confirmed. I'll probably get there around 7pm. I'll be the grey-haired, stooping, bald patch bloke with bandy legs, and if I'm not drinking Guinness it'll be because between now and Wednesday my doctor's advised me to quit alcohol.

On Thursday evening, doors for the film are 7pm, with the film being shown at 9.30pm. Not sure what the two and a half hours are for, but I'm guessing there's a bar. Before that, there's a game at TU campus at 6pm between the academics and 1815FC, Ireland's artists-run football club. I'm the ref, if you want to see amateur shiteness in action and have the chance to yell real-life abuse and threats in my direction.
                          Nothing wrong with bandy legs mate.
                          Grey hair is good too. As for balding, just shave it off. I remember being in a technical meeting with a guy wearing a wig right out of the 1960's. It was a completely different colour to the rest of his hair and clipped around his ears somehow (I didn't want to stare too long to try and work it out).

Would you look like Tommy Smyth with it shaved off?

Comment

Even if you still have some hair, it can be useful as a sun barrier.

Comment

Just about to get in touch Imp, I'll cu there. I'll have a copy of Wsc with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Nothing wrong with bandy legs mate.
                                Grey hair is good too. As for balding, just shave it off. I remember being in a technical meeting with a guy wearing a wig right out of the 1960's. It was a completely different colour to the rest of his hair and clipped around his ears somehow (I didn't want to stare too long to try and work it out).

Would you look like Tommy Smyth with it shaved off?
                                I get it cut very short every three months or so, but can‘t be arsed going to the barber‘s shop more often than that. But you‘re right, at my age ‚less is more‘.

As for Tommy Smyth, I haven‘t had to think about that gobshite charlatan since leaving the US, and I‘ve no idea if they still let him out his hutch. The last I heard he‘d been farmed out to radio when someone at ESPN finally noticed after four decades that his knowledge of football could be etched on the rim of a one-cent coin.

Elguapo - very nice to meet you, I hope you can make it to Dalymount tonight.

Comment

Same to you Imp, things are tight,heading on holiday next week so don't have a lot of time,really enjoyed last night,pity I couldn't stay later.

Comment

Hope you lads had a great time. that football pitch/cricket pitch in trinity is put there to taunt the people in library, desperately trying to cram an entire year of missed lectures into their head on the night before the exam. When it's coming up to exam time, a permanent window opens in the clouds to illuminate that area, to maximize its temptation.

Comment

Working...
                                    X