The All-Purpose Health Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
    Psychiatrist suggests asking GP to test T3 levels as well (they only test TSH and T4 as standard).

Triglyceride levels are still high but down from 5 to 3.75.

I'd need to google all this to understand fully but the important thing as far as I'm and I'm sure everyone else here is concerned is that you take the very best care of yourself.

Comment

Well that's good news re. the test results, Balders.

Obviously I hope that the depression lifts soon and you're able to address the weight loss issue, but focus on the former as the latter will likely follow on from an improvement in your mood.

Comment

Had my follow up CT scan Monday & results appt with the respiratory oncologist yesterday teatime, re the pesky nodule spotted on my lung a few months back. All fine: no change in size or shape of the marble-sized “tumour”, so it’s almost certainly benign and nowt to fret about. Advised to have a another scan in 12 months, just in case, but after the DVT/PE shenanigans and this, can get on with life without undue worrying. Woo-hoo!

Comment

Good to hear.

Comment

My son had a 24-hour vomiting virus last Sunday. My husband got it midweek. My daughter has it today. I'm washing my hands and disinfecting everything in sight with the zeal of a new OCD-sufferer because I don't want to catch it myself.

Comment

Went round to the Doc last week to get a new prescription and a sick note for jury duty, I didn't mention last month's excessive peeing because it's back to normal. He gave me a blood test form for Colitis and Thyroid as usual, then added "the old Prostate " cause it doesn't hurt to check. Middle age is a pain in the arse ( and everywhere else).

Comment

Ho hum.

Under the knife it is to be then!

Comment

Oh dear. Hope it goes well.

Comment

Yeah, all the best Guy.

Comment

Seems fairly straightforward thanks to the miracles of modern medical and surgical advances.

T'other kidney to be blitzed with shockwaves or something, but in any case, "worry about that later"

Thanks folks!

Comment

Yes, all the very best, mate.

Do you have a date for the operation?

Comment

Hurrah for the NHS again. I just had a physiotherapy appointment for my left shoulder. I was starting to feel a bit like a fraud. I asked the GP for a referral back in December when I was finding my shoulder was painful and clicking a lot during yoga classes. Then I got loads of winter bugs and didn't go to the gym for about two months and my shoulder felt a lot better by the time my appointment finally came through. But the physiotherapist has looked at it properly and confirmed that I wasn't imagining things. Essentially my left shoulder isn't supported by strong enough muscles in my back around my left shoulder blade, so it's rotating in a weird way and has a clicking tendon. She's given me a set of exercises to try and do twice daily for the next six weeks (because that will be really easy to fit in with my timetable) and another appointment afterwards to see if it's got any better.

Now, I just need to go back to my GP to get a referral for my left knee, left ankle and left hip, which all take it in turns to complain if I ever go a single day without wearing a particular brand of trainers (I have two pairs, both have holes in them from over wear).

Comment

Good luck GP.

Comment

I had another one of those visual disturbance episodes today, same exactly like the last time. I was working on the computer but had to stop because I couldn't read very well without trying really hard. I imagine it's similar to what my mom experiences with her macular degeneration. Anyway, it lasted 20 minutes and when it was over, it was over. No headache, no residual feelings of any kind. It's just the weirdest thing.

But enough about me. I wish the best for everyone who is struggling with their own health issues right now. Even though I haven't been on here much lately, I want you to know that I think of you all often.

Comment

My left shoulder is crocked. But I don’t have an NHS. I have a high deductible.
                                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 14-02-2020, 02:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                  I had another one of those visual disturbance episodes today, same exactly like the last time. I was working on the computer but had to stop because I couldn't read very well without trying really hard. I imagine it's similar to what my mom experiences with her macular degeneration. Anyway, it lasted 20 minutes and when it was over, it was over. No headache, no residual feelings of any kind. It's just the weirdest thing.

But enough about me. I wish the best for everyone who is struggling with their own health issues right now. Even though I haven't been on here much lately, I want you to know that I think of you all often.
                                  That sounds rough. But if it comes and goes, maybe it is manageable.

Comment

I finally went to see someone about my dodgy toe today. It's a highly recommended - and therefore very expensive - physio who doesn't take insurance. The other people I've seen have been rubbish, so it's probably worth it for a few sessions. This toe has been hurting for years. It appears to be caused by my dodgy walk - I was always told that I pronate, but apparently I supranate and overcompensate. This has made all the muscles in my legs a bit misaligned, and the ones that are used to keep the foot straight and support the arches and do all the useful stuff has got weak. I basically have to learn to change the way I walk, which I think is going to be very hard. I also have to do "toe yoga" to strengthen and stretch my toes and force me to land on, and use, the right bits of the foot. It feels ridiculous to do all this because of a hurty toe, and to spend money on it. But it appears that if I don't do it, the problems will work their way up the whole muscular chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

That sounds rough. But if it comes and goes, maybe it is manageable.
                                      The strangest part of it is that it doesn't freak me out.

Comment

SB's toe story has given me the willies.

This guy isn't just a scaremonger, I hope? <winky>

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                          Hurrah for the NHS again. I just had a physiotherapy appointment for my left shoulder. I was starting to feel a bit like a fraud. I asked the GP for a referral back in December when I was finding my shoulder was painful and clicking a lot during yoga classes. Then I got loads of winter bugs and didn't go to the gym for about two months and my shoulder felt a lot better by the time my appointment finally came through. But the physiotherapist has looked at it properly and confirmed that I wasn't imagining things. Essentially my left shoulder isn't supported by strong enough muscles in my back around my left shoulder blade, so it's rotating in a weird way and has a clicking tendon. She's given me a set of exercises to try and do twice daily for the next six weeks (because that will be really easy to fit in with my timetable) and another appointment afterwards to see if it's got any better.

Now, I just need to go back to my GP to get a referral for my left knee, left ankle and left hip, which all take it in turns to complain if I ever go a single day without wearing a particular brand of trainers (I have two pairs, both have holes in them from over wear).
                                          Sounds like my right shoulder. It’s given me gip (jip?) for twenty years since somebody smashed me going for a header. Of course I did nothing for a long time but started physio ten years ago, for neck and shoulders generally. But because my usual physio gave me some excellent neck/shoulder stretches I’ve managed without visits quite a bit, sometimes going eighteen months. But just before Christmas the neck and shoulders were keeping me awake - I sleep on my side as it’s the only way not to snore, which is harder on neck and shoulder I feel - so I booked in. The usual guy wasn’t there so I saw a different one who said I don’t have enough muscle in the upper body. (My only exercise is walking). He gave me some straightforward exercises with stretchy band and dumbbells, both of which we already had. Like you I’m able to fit these into my routine, and I think they’re helping.

Of course, the big difference is, I pay for all this unlike the good old NHS. But at least I get some back from the health fund. Which I also pay for.

Comment

Femme Folle it does sound like a pre-migraine thing. That’s roughly how long the precursors to my very rare migraines last.

Comment

Sits good to know. I hope you never get another one.

Comment

Thanks FF, you too.

Comment

Facebook tells me that I'm seven years out of hospital. That time has gone very slowly.

Comment

Especially if you count it in trophies . . .

Comment

Working...
                                                    X