Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What 'obsolete' tech are you still uisng?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What 'obsolete' tech are you still uisng?

Of course your definition of obsolete will vary. For me …
    • An iPad 2. Nowadays completely useless for web browsing and the like, but I still use it for my music apps and watching videos. Battery is still fine.
    • My 24-year-old Technics CD player, which still mysteriously functions
    • I reverted some years ago to a safety razor and razor blades, rather than that Gillette nonsense with nine blades
    • A 1968 Hohner Symphonic combo organ

I had a walkman for ages after almost nobody else did.

Comment

OTF.

Comment

Huawei smartphone...

Comment

meatspace

Comment

I still wear socks, something the hipster generation appear to have abandoned.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
              Of course your definition of obsolete will vary. For me …
              • An iPad 2. Nowadays completely useless for web browsing and the like, but I still use it for my music apps and watching videos. Battery is still fine.
              • My 24-year-old Technics CD player, which still mysteriously functions
              • I reverted some years ago to a safety razor and razor blades, rather than that Gillette nonsense with nine blades
              • A 1968 Hohner Symphonic combo organ
              Not autocorrect, obviously...

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Not autocorrect, obviously...
                So what terrible mistakes did I make?

Comment

A Discman that still plays, hooked up to some old computer speakers in the spare room. I never actually walked round with it, even way back when.

For music on the go, a Sansaclip MP3 player. It's tiny, lasts 40 hours on a charge and is simple to move music on and off.

Our TV is ten years old. It works fine but has a lot of case around the screen compared to newer ones.

Comment

"using"

Edit: Except I am using autocorrect.

"uisng"

Comment

I have a battery-powered torch.

Comment

Does the Piccadilly Line count?

Comment

2 x 90s Technics CD players
                          2 x 90s Sony amps
                          2 x record players (a Numark and a vintage Radiola Stereo 200)
                          original Castle Kendal speakers (from the 70s/early 80s I guess? When these were still made in Skipton)
                          4th gen iPod classic from 2004
                          iPod mini
                          wristwatches (admittedly not as often as I used to)
                          pocket notebook and pen/pencil
                          Letraset dry transfers
                          Typesetting and leading gauge and specifier
                          Gocco serigraph printer
                          Pentax Q digital camera
                          Instax instant camera (this is both new and old tech I guess)
                          Sewing machine, hand-sewing needles etc.

I mean, I could go on.

Comment

A Blackberry cellphone, which is no longer supported by its own IT department.

A lot of the products on this thread had in-built obsolescence.

Comment

I make "To do" lists with pencil and paper.

Per EIM, OTF certainly feels pretty retro these days.

Comment

I bought my amplifier and speakers in 1976 and my turntable is one year younger. I have a Dansette that I received as a birthday present in 1964 but it does't get much use these days. I still use a radio/cassette that I bought in the mid-80s.

Comment

A scythe.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                    Per EIM, OTF certainly feels pretty retro these days.
                                    I prefer "classic".

Comment

CD Walkman,portable DVD player,wristwatch. I still use a pen and notebook for a lot of stuff.

Comment

I wrote a cheque last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                          I still wear socks, something the hipster generation appear to have abandoned.
                                          I've heard Barry Glendenning on the Guardian Football Weekly mention a few times that the young male employees of the Guardian don't seem to wear socks. I've never seen that hear. If anything, trendy younger people want to show off their socks by wearing short inseam pants.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                            2 x 90s Technics CD players
                                            2 x 90s Sony amps
                                            2 x record players (a Numark and a vintage Radiola Stereo 200)
                                            original Castle Kendal speakers (from the 70s/early 80s I guess? When these were still made in Skipton)
                                            4th gen iPod classic from 2004
                                            iPod mini
                                            wristwatches (admittedly not as often as I used to)
                                            pocket notebook and pen/pencil
                                            Letraset dry transfers
                                            Typesetting and leading gauge and specifier
                                            Gocco serigraph printer
                                            Pentax Q digital camera
                                            Instax instant camera (this is both new and old tech I guess)
                                            Sewing machine, hand-sewing needles etc.

I mean, I could go on.
                                            Swoon

Comment

"Obsolete" and "tech" are doing a lot of work in some of the contributions here.

I really can't think of any actually obsolete technology that I or anyone else in my household uses, though there plenty that would fall into the categories or "old" or "fairly inefficient".

The mentions of a wristwatch are interesting. I clip my one on each day but, now I come to think of it, how often do I actually look at it. Rarely, in fact. Hmmmmm.

Comment

NAD 3020 amp, connected to my Playstation 2 (for CDs and DVDs) and a non-brand turntable for my vinyl.

I love my Blackberry Passport (the big square one).

I read actual books on the tube instead of making the seemingly rational move to a Kindle or similar.
                                                I currently have an original iPad for browsing, but only as the kids have broken every other more recent tablet I've ever bought.

And I couldn't live without a notebook and pencil/pen - I need to write shit down if I'm ever going to get it done, and I cross stuff out once it's done which brings me a kind of closure on the task/event. (I haven't mentioned it here before, but I was diagnosed as high-functioning autistic when I was 41, and this behaviour was apparently one of many pointers my wife highlighted).

Comment

Fussbudget, now that I'm done fanning myself after your invocation of Letraset, do you think that all in record players like the Radiola were more common in France back in the day? Their presence here was, I think, briefer and earlier (50s and 60s)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X