• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tusk was clearly evoking Sienkiewicz and viewing Johnson as Nero

You leave peter Ustinov alone

Comment

He wouldn't be born for another 25 years after the novel was published

Even the copy I inherited from my mom was older than Ustinov
      Last edited by ursus arctos; 08-10-2019, 21:43.

Comment

Someone else may have written the part, but Ustinov was Nero. A nero made entirely of the most glorious Ham.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
          Good luck with that.
          There wasn't...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
            Insert Claude Rains gif here.

Comment

the Tories are cunts

https://twitter.com/EdmundGriffiths/status/1183148225202720769?s=20

Comment

Contains dogwhistle:

"outlaw the "harvesting" of postal ballots by political parties and activists."
                Essentially another idea imported from American wingnuts.

Comment

I agree with the sentiments expressed above about the Tories and their reasons for wanting to introduce the ID voter idea, but how is it known that there is virtually no in-person voter fraud?

Comment

Thinning at the front isn't he. Wouldn't be a big deal if that ridiculous hairstyle wasn't his main prop in his total ledge image.

Comment

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1183735134668898307?s=21[/URL]

Comment

What ID is going to be acceptable? Passport or driving licence for sure as photo ID but what percentage of the population don't have that?

This is disenfranchisement at a level not seen since the Poll Tax.

Comment

Here in the UK, 3.5 million citizens do not have access to photo ID and 11 million citizens do not have a passport or driving licence – in 2013/14 1.7 million lack even a bank account. That makes mandatory voter ID – with no free provision – a barrier to many people exercising their right to vote.
                            From this helpful piece, which also helps answer Sporting's question about why it is believed that in person fraud isn't a thing.

Comment

Thanks for this UA. Here are the numbers without Photo ID, I'm shocked how high they are but they could include minors.

Here in the UK, 3.5 million citizens do not have access to photo ID and 11 million citizens do not have a passport or driving licence – in 2013/14 1.7 million lack even a bank account. That makes mandatory voter ID – with no free provision – a barrier to many people exercising their right to vote.

Comment

The link they provide to the 3.5 million figure, which is from a 2015 government report, makes clear that it is 3.5 million potential voters.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  The link they provide to the 3.5 million figure, which is from a 2015 government report, makes clear that it is 3.5 million potential voters.
                                  I thought it had to be but it's a staggeringly high number and well over 5% of the electorate.

Comment

There is no identity card scheme in Britain. A passport costs passport cost £69

A provisional driving license is £50

Comment

I'm sure that if challenged in the courts any potential law would be found to be discriminatory. Or rather, I wish I was sure...

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                        I'm sure that if challenged in the courts any potential law would be found to be discriminatory. Or rather, I wish I was sure...
                                        They trialled it in the local elections without challenge iirc.

Comment

This is one of those issues where i go 'wtf' because i hail from a country where having a form of ID is mandatory and you need to show it when you go voting. This is why i'd be very pleased to have an ID card showing my settled status over here rather than the current situation.

Differences eh...

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                            For what it is worth, the US courts have been very split on this, as have US state legislatures. There is a very significant amount of money backing specious "research" on the issue that some courts (and more legislators) have found to be convincing.

I don't the UK framework well enough to say if legal challenges there face similar challenges, but I do know that the same economic forces are at work.

Comment

I have to show my passport when I vote in local and European elections, (Until a few years ago we had a EU ID card, with photo, the same size as the Spanish national one, which fitted snugly into a wallet. For some reason these were discontinued, no idea why. The strict letter of the law here says that everyone is supposed to carry ID at all times but I don't have a driving licence and I' buggered if I'm going to take my passport everywhere with me.)

Comment

Definitely not Yellow Tories.

https://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1183455349182992385

Comment

I had no photo ID in the UK until I first went abroad at age 35. Still had to pay poll tax in the late 80s though.

Comment

According to the Beeb the Government intend to introduce a new form of identity document voters can apply for free of charge.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X