No announcement yet.

Words that you know that make you feel all clever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of petrichor, is there an equivalent word for how vibrant colours look when the Sun comes out after the rain?

Comment

Another word I learned via OTF is rhotic: "Relating to or denoting a dialect or variety of English (e.g. in most of the US and south-western England) in which r is pronounced before a consonant (as in "hard") and at the ends of words (as in "far")". There's also a noun, rhoticity.

Comment

Schwa is always a good one to throw in.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
          There's also a noun, rhoticity.
          Not to be confused with rhotacism, which is pretty much the opposite.

Abugida is another one from the field of linguistics I like to throw in occasionally - "a writing system which is between syllabic and alphabetic scripts" i.e. each glyph represents a consonant and a vowel paired.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
            Bailiwick. I use it all the time. And some say that Tom Clancy couldn't write literature.
            Bailiwick - as uttered in Deadwood the movie, in a pleasingly serendipitous and timely way.

Comment

Comorbidity

Comment

Another Baader-Meinhof moment for me. I had to look up comorbidity the other day. I thought it meant something like 'increasingly likely to lead to death', but the actual meaning 'presence of one or more conditions in addition to your primary condition' is less scary.

Comment

Obfuscation

If you don't know what the above word means, then that is a very good definition of it, because it means to deliberately mislead.

Comment

In that instance, you're not so much 'misled' as completely in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                      Sesquipedalian - because brevity is preferable as a rule, as such NS can figure out the definition through opposites.
                      This one is my favourite word. Partly because it is so mellifluous, and partly because it is autological - it describes itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                        Also, hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, which is the fear of long words. Whoever named that disorder must have been a real arse mustn't he?
                        Akin to dyslexia being hard to speak.

Comment

And lisp having an 's'.

Comment

And rhotacism beginning with an 'R'.

Comment

And Jeremy Hunt

Comment

Working...
                              X