Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jersey and Guernsey are Bailiwicks

Comment

I'm willing to bet that Amor and I both learned that fact through stamp collecting

Comment

Mammiferous is a much nicer description than saying "He/She's got big tits."

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          I'm willing to bet that Amor and I both learned that fact through stamp collecting

You'd win.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            Bathycolpian refers to having a deep bosom, so it's more or less the same thing.

Callipygian, however, is a different matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
              Also, hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, which is the fear of long words. Whoever named that disorder must have been a real arse mustn't he?
              And why is the concept of circumlocution handily encapsulated in a single word?

Comment

Mrs. S gets pissed off if I use words like these; she says I'm being an intellectual snob. I left school at sixteen.

Even though they don't really qualify for this thread, I enjoy using suboptimal, oxymoron, tautology and counterintuitive.

Comment

I'm delighted to be introduced to epicaricacy (though I won't remember it when I need to) and the Baader-Meinhof Effect.

Comment

I learned the word 'defenestration' from a Czech friend at work many years ago. Loved the ring of it, and the idea that someone would come up with a word for that. Maybe 6 months later, I was visiting my dad and he says "Oh...hang on" and he whips out a piece of paper and says "Have you ever heard the word 'defenestration' before?", to which I answered as casually as possible "Of course...for the Czech practice of throwing people out a window as a form of punishment". He gave me this "well...shit" look, which I quite enjoyed then...and now.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                      Epicaricacy - the delight in the misfortune of others.
                      So we actually did have a word for Schadenfreude?

Comment

I learned the word 'defenestration' from a Czech friend at work many years ago. Loved the ring of it, and the idea that someone would come up with a word for that. Maybe 6 months later, I was visiting my dad and he says "Oh...hang on" and he whips out a piece of paper and says "Have you ever heard the word 'defenestration' before?", to which I answered as casually as possible "Of course...for the Czech practice of throwing people out a window as a form of punishment". He gave me this "well...shit" look, which I quite enjoyed then...and now.

Was that before or after the Garry Hoy incident?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

So we actually did have a word for Schadenfreude?

We did, though it was only resurrected after the German word became so popular over here.

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Duckett View Post
                            Petrichor - the pleasing (to some) aroma from the ground when the sun comes out after a period of rain.
                            Is it not the opposite? The smell of the ground when it rains following a dry spell?

Comment

Working in motor claims and dealing with credit hire a lot I learnt the word impecunious (having little to no money).

It's now one of my favourite words and I try and use it as often as I can to make myself sound smart.

Comment

In college days, I went out with a girl who used that word all the bloody time. Like we needed reminding that we hadn't any money.

Comment

I've come up with a foolproof fundraising scheme.

Fines for all messaging narrative memes

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                    Epicaricacy - the delight in the misfortune of others.
                                    Why use a difficult Latin-type word when here's a perfectly good and pronouncable English one in "Schadenfreude".

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                      Mrs. S gets pissed off if I use words like these; she says I'm being an intellectual snob. I left school at sixteen.

Even though they don't really qualify for this thread, I enjoy using suboptimal, oxymoron, tautology and counterintuitive.
                                      I just used two of those in a conference call.

Snake's wrong by the way - it's pronounced 'bailiwick'.

Comment

Sorry. I hef a keld.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

We did, though it was only resurrected after the German word became so popular over here.
                                          That has quite made my day.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                            Moiety.
                                            moiety
                                            /ˈmɔɪɪti/
                                            noun
                                            FORMAL•TECHNICAL
                                            1. each of two parts into which a thing is or can be divided.
                                              "the tax was to be delivered in two moieties"
                                              • ANTHROPOLOGY
                                                each of two social or ritual groups into which a people is divided, especially among Australian Aborigines and some North American Indians.
                                              • a part or portion, especially a lesser share.
                                            Usually seen by me in older wills, relating to the split of the residuary estate, often with one moiety going on trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

Is it not the opposite? The smell of the ground when it rains following a dry spell?
                                              Er, "antonym" - the opposite of a word... Thanks, good spot.

Comment

Someone was being a show off and asked if anyone knew what Quartodecimenism is. And I did, thanks to my normally useless Bachelor of Divinity (Hons)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                  On a somewhat similar note, OTF taught me "callipygian". It might even have been Toby G.
                                                  Last edited by Furtho; 11-06-2019, 06:49.

Comment

I have a crossover with an ear worm, in that I learned the word jejune in an English seminar about the same time I 1st heard Spandau Ballet’s “To Cut a Long Story Short” and it rhymes with the 1st line’s ‘lune/lagoon’ and has stayed there ever since.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X