Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Labour rejects concept of Social mobility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Labour rejects concept of Social mobility

    This is really good I think

    For decades weíve been told that inequality doesnít matter because the education system will allow talented and hard-working people to succeed whatever their background. But the greater inequality has become, the more entrenched it has become,Ē he is expected to say.

    ďThe idea that only a few talented or lucky people deserve to escape the disadvantage they were born into, leaving in place a social hierarchy in which millions are consigned to the scrap heap, results in the talents of millions of children being squandered.Ē


    as Corbyn says: Social Justice is more important than Social Mobility."

    The idea of "social mobility" suggests a kind of rationing, that there's something wrong about being working class or the poor having access to housing, education, libraries, culture, transport and so on, It also frames the point of education to change your status or income, and not for the needs or benefit of society,



    However just as Labourt's excelLent land use report it's going to ignored in favour of a areport somebody liked a facebook post they shouldn't have or disagreed with the "Jewish Labour movement" on which examples of the IHRA definition Labour should adopt, or trying for another referendum gotcha,

    #2
    Meritocracy has always been a myth anyway. Those who do climb the ladder do so despite huge odds and need some good fortune.

    Comment


      #3
      The problem has been that social mobility has assumed the status of an end in itself, rather than one contributory measure of success in education and economic policy.

      Comment


        #4
        Yeah, I read this, this morning. It's a further example that for all its continued ambiguity on Brexit, Labour is building up a sense of coherent policies, based on their old, core values. Meanwhile, the anti-Corbyn wing is fixated on ridding the party of him as leader, on Brexit, and on nothing else; as if nothing else actually matters. And then they're surprised when a party like CHUK evaporates. You can't exist on nothing but anti-Brexit fumes.

        Comment


          #5
          Itís pretty exhausting when no one will cover any of these policies though. In fact as the Conservatives and Brexit parties have both decided to operate entirely without policies itís almost as if Labour are considered cheating by producing them.

          from taking buses seriously to the green new deal The Labour Party have been generating new ideas for a political culture devoid of them. And they are barely discussed.

          Comment


            #6
            But as Iíve said before, the people whose job it is to analyse, discuss and present/promote these things have no need of them so donít.

            Comment


              #7
              We keep going around in circles. This is all promising stuff, but none of it is going to mean anything if you leave the EU. None of it. It is going to make the problems facing the Labour party in Ireland in 2011 seem minor.

              Comment


                #8
                Yeah, this is like planning for 1945 when the Battle of Britain isnít won yet. Itís worth doing, but itís of secondary importance right now.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Berbaslug has no strategy for reversing the referendum or suggestions for dealing with the austerity that the EU has imposed on the poor from Germany to Greece. he just makes chippy remarks.

                  I preferred it when his energy was focussed on Mourinho at United.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                    Yeah, this is like planning for 1945 when the Battle of Britain isnít won yet. Itís worth doing, but itís of secondary importance right now.
                    Glad we're agreed it's worth doing. There's going to be an election in less than three years time, and making policy and preparing to govern is exactly what Labour should be doing instead of ranting about Brexit without strategy or policy. For most people Brexit in itself is unimportant. The consequences are what matter.
                    Last edited by Nefertiti2; 08-06-2019, 16:35.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      These are all very intelligent policies.

                      Corbyn is still tone deaf on Brexit.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Well yeah, absolutely it is. Thereís the concern that surrounds any big conceptual policy about whether itís easier for opponents to attack it than it is for proponents to explain it, but it seems like a good move.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                          These are all very intelligent policies.

                          Corbyn is still tone deaf on Brexit.
                          What would be the right tone on Brexit? to claim as the FBPE gang do that everything was wonderful in Britain back in the heady days of the 2012 Olympics. To say that EU policies on migration, forced liberalisation, debt, or failing to make Germany clean up its dirty industries were all really positive?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Its nor a choice between that and Lexit. False dichotomy.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Who's saying that? I'd just like to find any strategy at all. Saying "it's not all about Brexit" and that there are other key issues, from improving buses to addressing land ownership which can be tackled to make the vast majority of the people in this country better off than they have been after decades of neglect and nearly 10 years austerity seems to mw the best response to the Brexit obsession which has gripped the country and re-energised the extreme right.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                This is nonsense. Utter nonsense. If the UK leaves the EU single market, then all of your service exports industries have to leave immediately, along with most of your high value manufacturing, which is going to economically devastate huge areas of the UK. This is going to cripple your tax take, and blow a massive hole in your budget, and destroy the capacity of britain to provide services, or support people in desperate need of it. And if you're not careful, it will burst that fucking massive property bubble at the heart of your economy at which point all bets will be off. This is really basic, and really obvious, and that it isn't screamingly obvious to leadership of the Labour party speaks volumes about the calibre and quality of the people at the head of the labour party. They've got to go. I don't care what their other policies are, these people aren't fit to pick spuds, let alone lead a political party.

                                There's no point ranting nonsensical bollocks about austerity, and conspiracy shite about Germany. Your fucking house is on fire, and these people are talking about reallocating the sleeping arrangements, while the roof properly catches. So put aside the straw men, put aside the ranting about neo-liberalism, and focus on the really important issue at hand. Either that, or get good with a bow and arrow.

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                  This is nonsense. Utter nonsense. If the UK leaves the EU single market, then all of your service exports industries have to leave immediately, along with most of your high value manufacturing, which is going to economically devastate huge areas of the UK. This is going to cripple your tax take, and blow a massive hole in your budget, and destroy the capacity of britain to provide services, or support people in desperate need of it. And if you're not careful, it will burst that fucking massive property bubble at the heart of your economy at which point all bets will be off. This is really basic, and really obvious, and that it isn't screamingly obvious to leadership of the Labour party speaks volumes about the calibre and quality of the people at the head of the labour party. They've got to go. I don't care what their other policies are, these people aren't fit to pick spuds, let alone lead a political party.

                                  There's no point ranting nonsensical bollocks about austerity, and conspiracy shite about Germany. Your fucking house is on fire, and these people are talking about reallocating the sleeping arrangements, while the roof properly catches. So put aside the straw men, put aside the ranting about neo-liberalism, and focus on the really important issue at hand. Either that, or get good with a bow and arrow.
                                  Mourinho Mourinho Mourinho.

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    "Conspiracy shite about Germany" You mean you think the German working class are doing well at the moment?

                                    I like Germany, I spend quite a lot of time there. Both the Christian Democrats have fallen below the Greens. the SPD are just above the fascists

                                    https://twitter.com/TerryReintke/status/1134801352318758917

                                    Of the ten biggest polluters in the EU, 8, I think were in Germany. One was Ryanair.

                                    https://twitter.com/AlperUcok/status/1113419943784087553

                                    (I was wrong it was 7)
                                    Last edited by Nefertiti2; 08-06-2019, 17:27.

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      "failing to make Germany clean up its dirty industries " is conspiracy shite about Germany.

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        Shows how difficult it is to have a policy discussion about anything at all as it will be sabotaged.

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

                                          What would be the right tone on Brexit? to claim as the FBPE gang do that everything was wonderful in Britain back in the heady days of the 2012 Olympics. To say that EU policies on migration, forced liberalisation, debt, or failing to make Germany clean up its dirty industries were all really positive?
                                          Which particular EU migration/liberalisation/debt policies do you have a problem with in relation to how they affect the UK?
                                          Last edited by anton pulisov; 08-06-2019, 17:55.

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            Something something State Aid can't renationalize railways if we're in the Single Market...

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              The EU isn't stopping German, or indeed Polish pollution precisely because it isn't an all powerful behemoth but is instead run primarily by Council of Ministers. Just how could migration policies be any different with fucking Salvini and Orban at the table, and indeed whoever is in charge of the UK (Corbyn Labour being against FoM for EU citizens points to nae fucking change from the Tories).

                                              Comment


                                                #24
                                                Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

                                                Which particular EU migration/liberalisation/debt policies do you have a problem with in relation to how they affect the UK?
                                                Firstly I'm a citizen of the EU as I can care about how those policies were imposed throughout the EU.

                                                The migrant crisis had led to thousands drowning in the Mediterranean. The lack of sanctions against the likes of Hungary or Poland

                                                The way the European Debt crisis protected the banks against the people of the EU, chiefly because Schšuble appears never to have heard of Keynes. ECB imposed austerity led to increased recession- and the sale of the port of Piraeus to the Chinese. Europe still hasn't recovered. A Green New Deal- forgiveness of debt- of the kind which benefitted post-war Germany and prorotising the support of local economies rather than protecting international banks. likewise the incrediibly long time it took to deal with Tax evasion-
                                                Keeping dirty german industries going rather than forcing them to clean up.

                                                And yes imposed neo-liberal open markets are counter productive if their main aim is to force wages down.

                                                Comment


                                                  #25
                                                  Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                  The EU isn't stopping German, or indeed Polish pollution precisely because it isn't an all powerful behemoth but is instead run primarily by Council of Ministers. Just how could migration policies be any different with fucking Salvini and Orban at the table, and indeed whoever is in charge of the UK (Corbyn Labour being against FoM for EU citizens points to nae fucking change from the Tories).
                                                  So it's not perfect then...

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X