Fascists in Central Europe #5 - Romania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fascists in Central Europe #5 - Romania

(slightly stretching the definition of Central Europe, but I'd argue that Transylvania qualifies)

The next village to the one I live in, sits at the bottom of a remote and wild valley, which goes up deep into the wilds of the Carpathians and if you follow it along you end up in Moldavia (the part of Romania, not the country). The road is terrible, and barely passable much of the time. I once turned back even though I was in a 4WD. Deep in the forests along this road there is a world war one cemetery hosting fallen Austro-Hungarian soldiers (some way further along is another one to Romanians, who were on the other side) . Because of the vagaries of county lines in this remote place the cemetery is considered to be part of the "comuna" of the village next door to mine, and the cemetery is tended by volunteers from that village, however technically it lies in the next county, Bacau, over in Moldavia. While my county is very much majority Hungarian, Bacau is fully Romanian.

A few weeks ago a group of Bacau based Romanian nationalists, led by a right wing blogger (who styles himself a journalist) whose entire raison d'etre seems to be to attack Hungarians, erected some concrete Orthodox crosses in the cemetery as "monuments to the unknown Romanian soldier". Obviously this was widely condemned by everyone (even the government). Some locals covered up these crosses with black plastic bags (which was probably unwise, as it just pokes the hornets next). It all started to become a big cause.

Yesterday the Romanian nationalists along with some compliant priests organised a ceremony to consecrate the crosses. A group of Hungarians went to form a picket line and pray outside the cemetery and try and block entry, the local jendarmarie were also there. A huge group of extremist Romanian nationalist thugs showed up, waving flags and chanting vile anti Hungarian slogans, broke through both the police and the Hungarians and proceeded to smash up the gates of the cemetery and tear down some of the original crosses. It's both depressing and scary. It takes a lot to bring me to violence but if these cunts come anywhere near my family I am not going to stand aside and watch them.

Having attacked the dead, I fear that these brave brave scum, emboldened by their success will next come after a kindergarten or an old people's home or something. Fuck them.

A friend of mine here, made an analogy to try and explain it to outsiders

"MAGINE that there is a WWI graveyard somewhere in the Saar region, Germany. French soldiers who fell in the WWI are buried here. The graveyard is located on the territory belonging to Germany now, but close to a village inhabited by French speaking people. Local French people, civil organisations and volunteers have been looking after the cemetery with great care and respect for the soldiers buried there.

Recently this plot of eternal peace has been disturbed by a bunch of German extremists fuelled by xenophobic ideologies: they declared that this is Germany and there must also be a few German soldiers buried there, so the graveyard should be transformed, it is not ok as it has been for 100 years. Even if they all know that any modification of international war memorials in Germany can be made only with the preliminary approval of the National Heroes’ Memory Office , the local authorities of a neighboring German village started erecting concrete crosses “in the honor of the unknown German soldier”, without any legal authorization and despite of the protest of the local French community.

The French community is clueless... What shall they do? A group of young and unthoughtful French covered the newly erected crosses with black plastic bags - the worst idea ever!

Finally the French decided to protest peacefully: On the day when the inauguration ceremony of the illegally erected monuments was planned, a few dozens of French locals surrounded their cemetery singing, praying and hoping to be able to protect their cultural heritage. (Though it was obviously too late...) The xenophobic crowd threw stones at the French, scanning “Out with all the French from Germany”, broke the gate of the graveyard, broke past a picket of praying ethnic French (despite a massive police presence), and started their inauguration ceremony accompanied by some German politicians and priests.

HARD TO IMAGINE? OBVIOUSLY THIS DID NOT HAPPEN IN GERMANY!
    (My respect to all peaceful German and French people!)

IF THIS CANNOT HAPPEN IN GERMANY, AND HOPEFULLY NOWHERE ELSE IS EUROPE, WHY CAN IT HAPPEN IN ROMANIA??????
    (My respect to all peaceful Romanian and Hungarian people!)

... and... what can happen next??

Please share! This should NOT happen in Europe! Not in 2019 and never again!"

Comment

How much of the resurgence of fascism is powered by the dead.

Comment

Working...
      X