X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campbell in the soup...

Alastair Campbell "expelled" from party for voting Lib Dem

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48434842

Comparing himself to way the anti-semitism cases have been dealt with. I will point out that in the anti-semitism stuff, the accused usually deny it, and bid him an hale and hearty fuck off.

Comment

Blair pal came last in reshuffle (8,8)

Comment

ooooooh. That's slick.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
          Comparing himself to way the anti-semitism cases have been dealt with. I will point out that in the anti-semitism stuff, the accused usually deny it, and bid him an hale and hearty fuck off.
          Did someone mention Alistair Campbell antisemitism and the Labour Party?

Comment

In 2015 before the election Andrew Fisher wrote 'If you live in Croydon South, vote with dignity, vote @campaignbeard' a Class War candidate opposing Labour. In 2019 Andrew Fisher is Corbyn's head of policy.

Comment

Disloyalty only counts if you go on TV

Comment

Surprisingly the main item on the BBC website.

Did he encourage others to vote LibDem or just say that was what he was going to/had done? Seems a bit harsh if it was the latter. I'm sure lots of Labour Party members have voted tactically for parties other than their nominal one in local elections or a GE.

Comment

He said it was what he had done. It's automatic apparently.

You just have to be dumb enough to a) let other people in the Party know and b) give them a reason to want to expel you.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that he sees expulsion as a tactical plus for his brand at this point.

The columns from the usual suspects will be nauseating.

Comment

He said it was what he had done. It's automatic apparently.

You just have to be dumb enough to a) let other people in the Party know and b) give them a reason to want to expel you.

Hah! Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        I'm pretty sure that he sees expulsion as a tactical plus for his brand at this point.

The columns from the usual suspects will be nauseating.
                        I see it as a tactical plus for Labour too. One less association with the Iraq War and his endless whining about Corbyn can be framed as even more sour grapes.

Comment

Stolen from Twitter but

"I hope Corbyn gave him 45 minutes to clear his desk."

Comment

Yeah I doubt most voters know or care much about Campbell these days. If this had been 2003 it'd have been massive news, but he's yesterday's man in 2019, and not a cuddly loveable figure in the public mind, in as much as he's in it at all.

That programme he did about his mental health problems the other day was decent enough though.

Comment

Snake, how is Campbell's wrapping himself in claret and blue viewed among supporters?

Comment

I see it as a tactical plus for Labour too. One less association with the Iraq War and his endless whining about Corbyn can be framed as even more sour grapes.
                                You and I both know that Campbell wasn't the only Labour member to vote Lib Dem or Green, so get rid of Campbell purify the party remove the taint of Iraq. It still doesn't change the face that Labour is haemorrhaging voters.

Comment

Of course he wasn't. The rest of them weren't stupid enough to admit it on national television. I mean, even Kate Hoey manages to keep her big mouth shut on the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    Snake, how is Campbell's wrapping himself in claret and blue viewed among supporters?
                                    He's pretty much kept politics out of it but he did raise Brexit during one of his occasional stints as co-commentator to a round chorus on Twitter of "Oh, shut up". Including from me. Mainly because the football is a safe space from all that, and he has by and large respected it.

To be fair, he is a genuine lifelong supporter and banned Blair from coming to games (we kept losing them). Kinnock was there for the 1994 Playoff win at Wembley and I think Campbell's equivalent under Thatcher - Bernard Ingham - was someone he spoke about Clarets to as he was a fellow supporter. During his time working with Blair, he was known to staff as not to be disturbed for a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon.

So most people disagree with either his personality, his politics (guilty!) or his methods, but not his commitment to the club.

Comment

Appreciate that.

Good to know that he has one redeeming quality.

Comment

He's pretty much kept politics out of it but he did raise Brexit during one of his occasional stints as co-commentator to a round chorus on Twitter of "Oh, shut up". Including from me. Mainly because the football is a safe space from all that, and he has by and large respected it.

To be fair, he is a genuine lifelong supporter and banned Blair from coming to games (we kept losing them). Kinnock was there for the 1994 Playoff win at Wembley and I think Campbell's equivalent under Thatcher - Bernard Ingham - was someone he spoke about Clarets to as he was a fellow supporter. During his time working with Blair, he was known to staff as not to be disturbed for a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon.

So most people disagree with either his personality, his politics (guilty!) or his methods, but not his commitment to the club.
                                        The fucker went to the first game Franchise played at the National Hockey Stadium, though in comparison to other bad things he did in 2003, it probably doesn't move the dial.

Comment

Of course he wasn't. The rest of them weren't stupid enough to admit it on national television. I mean, even Kate Hoey manages to keep her big mouth shut on the issue.
                                          In that case why hasn't Andrew Fisher been kicked out after all he publicly urged people to vote for another candidate on twitter?

Comment

What did he, himself, vote?

Comment

We have no more idea about that than we do about Campbell. This has been judged on public utterances.

Comment

Are you saying Alistair Campbell went on national television and lied?

Comment

And was he a member of Labour when he posted that, or did he join subsequently? Because if he wasn't a member, then it's a different situation.

If he was a member at the time, then it's probably a greater offence than Campbell's; campaigning against the party could cost more than one vote.

In general, I'm certain a non-zero proportion on the current Labour left voted elsewhere in the later Blair/Brown years. Some may even have publicly stated they had done so. It's likely inconsistently applied and a useful excuse to get rid of someone those now in charge despise. But, well, cry me a river.

On a pedantic point, we don't know Campbell definitely voted elsewhere any more than the other bloke did. People have been known to misrepresent such a thing. It is nit-picking to differentiate between a public call to vote against Labour and stating afterwards that is what you did (if Campbell had tweeted in advance that he was planning to vote Lib Dem, does anyone honestly think the same wouldn't have happened as today?). It's a fair assumption in both cases that the vote was not for red.
                                                  Last edited by Janik; 28-05-2019, 18:35.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X