No announcement yet.

Eat eaten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not if they're already full they're not.

Comment

Bread in the freezer is so, so wrong.

Comment

Why?

Comment

Because it has a horrible weird texture when you defrost it.

Comment

Fussbudget is correct. And also GY is correct that most freezers don't have room for bread.

Comment

Frozen is forgotten. It's where once-good food goes to die.

Comment

To be fair though, sliced bread already has a horrible weird texture before it goes in the freezer

Comment

We never buy sliced bread.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    And also GY is correct that most freezers don't have room for bread.
                    Neither of you will ever be able to launch a challenge to May with that attitude. Next you will be telling us that you don't have multiple ovens.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                      We never buy sliced bread.
                      I'm always surprised to see it sold in a country like Spain

Comment

I like the fact that (what seems to be ) the biggest brand of sliced bread in Spain is Bimbo

Comment

They are Mexican, and a client of ours.

The Philadelphia Union had to have their arms twisted to accept their sponsorship.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                            Apparently my light-hearted veg-militant jibe wasn't taken as such. It was in response to the equally lighthearted 'icky green stuff' line just preceding.
                            Oh no, I assumed that - because it was you - it was intended as a humorous aside. But as ad hoc observed, pretty much any reference to vegetarianism will generally be met online with (seriously-intended) versions of your comment.

The truth is, however, that there really aren't that many high street options for those of us that don't eat flesh: on the other hand, if somebody wishes to eat a chicken sandwich then he/she isn't really going to have to travel too far to do so. (And you'd imagine that at least one of those available alternatives might pass muster.)

I gather that you guys have the Copper Branch chain of veggie fast food outlets - any good?

Comment

I'm frankly amazed that, in 2019, veg options are hard to find. Vegan...I can sort of understand that, but not really.

Had never heard of Copper Branch, but apparently they're here. Nothing near me, but I'll keep an eye out and give 'em a try.

Comment

I'd not say that veg options are 'hard to find' so much as that there still isn't a great deal of variety.

For example - if we're talking fast food - south London high streets offer up just about every conceivable method of preparing chicken (most of which looks pretty repugnant), but those of us who don't eat meat are generally met with either the odd falafel or halloumi place if we're lucky. (If one is a vegan, that choice is already halved.) Both are very palatable, of course, but, you know, a greater choice is to be welcomed.

Yep, let us know how CB pans out. There's a good chance that'll find its way over here at some point.

Comment

You should try living in Harrow. There's plenty of South Asian vegetarian outlets. We also have a plethora of deep-fried battery chicken joints, but they're easily ignored.

Comment

I have found that US, when I'm on a road trip, I do make my own sandwiches in the car because US supermarket sandwiches have fallen out of 1985, and there is something fundamentally very wrong with both the fillings and the bread on Subway sandwiches. We really need Pret to expand into Flyover America.
                                    Jimmy John's has the spot pretty much locked down. Flyover will be a big stretch for Pret. If they try it I expect they will lose a fortune.

Comment

Is Jimmy John's better than Subway? Every time I've seen a pic of their food it's had the same weird look of stacks of those American water filled deli-meats, iceberg lettuce and that watery tomato that tastes of nothing but water and acid that Subway does.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                        You should try living in Harrow. There's plenty of South Asian vegetarian outlets. We also have a plethora of deep-fried battery chicken joints, but they're easily ignored.

Unless it's changed radically in the last few years, Jah only has to stroll down to Tooting Bec for a large range of Indian food outlets.

Comment

Is Jimmy John's better than Subway? Every time I've seen a pic of their food it's had the same weird look of stacks of those American water filled deli-meats, iceberg lettuce and that watery tomato that tastes of nothing but water and acid that Subway does.
                                          I thought of you all when I was at Home Depot this week picking up a dimmer switch. Had to walk past ...ugh....Subway to get out of the place.

Comment

I'm glad you added that second sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                              Unless it's changed radically in the last few years, Jah only has to stroll down to Tooting Bec for a large range of Indian food outlets.
                                              Indeed Jah sometimes does. My only reservation with that is that the food's generally cold by the time I get it back to Balham.

I've yet to try that restaurant/takeaway up at Tooting Broadway that bears the legend 'genuine spicy taste' as its amusingly-vague boast.

I used to like the Kastoori a great deal, but that sadly has gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                Indeed Jah sometimes does. My only reservation with that is that the food's generally cold by the time I get it back to Balham.

I've yet to try that restaurant/takeaway up at Tooting Broadway that bears the legend 'genuine spicy taste' as its amusingly-vague boast.

I used to like the Kastoori a great deal, but that sadly has gone.

Ah, damn it! Kastoori's gone! That was one of my absolutely favourite restaurants. Established by a Ugandan Asian family, I think. The food was amazing but the waiting staff were always amusingly over-attentive. It's ever-so slightly embarrassing to be given advice as to the correct way of eating one of the more unusual items from the menu when it wasn't invited. They meant well though.

Another favourite, Sri Krishna has gone too (their masala dosas were fantastic) but it looks like Jaffna House is still going, if you like Sri Lankan food. I used to go out with a woman who lived in the road that JH is at the end of so I've fond memories of the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                  My only reservation with that is that the food's generally cold by the time I get it back to Balham.
                                                  That's the reason I never take food away (and not only because it would take me the best part of a day to get to Balham).

Comment

You lot are going to love microwaves when they arrive...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X