No announcement yet.

Lactose Intolerants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then you go to jail for assault. It's not difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

Not sure what this means? Well, I think I am, but..... continue?
      Someone, somewhere considers you a racist. And me. And we'd probably consider them racist. So everyone would be due for some milkshaking.

Comment

This is excellent
        More importantly, the serried ranks of self-appointed grownups who tut that milk protesters are setting Britain on a (very) slippery slope to major violence get things precisely the wrong way round. We have had major violence very recently in our politics, and it has been authored by the far right. Never forget that during the EU referendum campaign of 2016 the Labour MP Jo Cox was shot and stabbed to death on a Yorkshire street by a man shouting “Britain first”. Hours beforehand, Farage had unveiled a poster showing a long stream of migrants at the Croatia-Slovenia border under the slogan “Breaking Point”. Days later, he basked in a poll victory that he claimed had been won “without a single bullet being fired”, even as the gunman, Thomas Mair, was about to face a court.

Comment

Say what you like about milkshaking fascists but Nigel Farage refused to get off a bus today because of a couple of youngsters who happened to be drinking milkshakes while appropriately dressed for a fine spring morning stroll (i.e. wearing light balaclavas) and I think that's beautiful.

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-...it-bus-2897876

Comment

Farage is such a snowflake. He'll be claiming milkshake PTSD next.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
              Nah, it isn't excellent. Reads like a tenuous attempt at justification. As if the behaviour of the far right was the yardstick we use to measure ourselves.

And it will lead to further violence. If it is okay to milkshake Farage, then it will be okay for Corbn to be greeted by a fusillade of eggs as he tries to make a speech. And then milkshakes won't be newsworthy and someone will have to think of something newer and nastier to prove their mettle and get their five minutes on TV.

Thatcher supposedly said that her greatest achievement was Blair and New Labour; I wonder if Farage may be having similar thoughts, having successfully turned the left into a nascent fascist organisation.

Comment

The left has always physically confronted fascists on the streets. Sometimes successfully, sometimes less so.

And politicians have always had eggs chucked at them. Contrast Ed Miliband's shoulder-shrugging response to being egged four years ago with Farage's faux-outrage and pearl-clutching. John Major coped with it too, to be fair to him.

I sometimes think today's liberals would have berated the East End for standing up to the Blackshirts back in the 30s. "Confronting them at Cable Street will only fan the flames, both sides as bad as each other etc"

Comment

I sometimes think today's liberals would have berated the East End for standing up to the Blackshirts back in the 30s. "Confronting them at Cable Street will only fan the flames, both sides as bad as each other etc"
                  This. 100%.

Comment

There are ways of standing up to scum such as Farage without resorting to throwing things at him. These antics may be temporarily funny but win no more anti-Brexit fans and probably increase in a small way his and his party's popularity.

Comment

The left has always physically confronted fascists on the streets. Sometimes successfully, sometimes less so.

And politicians have always had eggs chucked at them. Contrast Ed Miliband's shoulder-shrugging response to being egged four years ago with Farage's faux-outrage and pearl-clutching. John Major coped with it too, to be fair to him.

Nah, Cable Street was simply about blocking the road to stop them marching. The physical violence was not between black shirts and anti-fascists, but between the anti-fascists and the police, after the latter tried to disperse the protesters with baton charges by mounted police. It was a near perfect demonstration of how to do resistance. Not at all like some dicks running about throwing things at politicians.

You know I'm right, you just don't want to acknowledge it because Farage getting milk-shaked seems so right. But it is still wrong, because we have to extend the same protections and privileges to the likes of Farage if they're going to protect people we dislike less.

As for the 'we've always done it' argument, it's bogus and you know it. People try to cut out words like 'imbecile' and 'retard' because they might be hurtful or offensive, but support actual physical attempts to humiliate and bully someone? Makes no sense.
                      Last edited by Lurgee; 23-05-2019, 08:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post

Nah, it isn't excellent. Reads like a tenuous attempt at justification. As if the behaviour of the far right was the yardstick we use to measure ourselves.

And it will lead to further violence. If it is okay to milkshake Farage, then it will be okay for Corbn to be greeted by a fusillade of eggs as he tries to make a speech. And then milkshakes won't be newsworthy and someone will have to think of something newer and nastier to prove their mettle and get their five minutes on TV.

Thatcher supposedly said that her greatest achievement was Blair and New Labour; I wonder if Farage may be having similar thoughts, having successfully turned the left into a nascent fascist organisation.
                        Fascism is the escalation of violence. Anti-fascism is self-defence.

Cast your mind back to early 2016. The fascist South East Alliance's "Unity Project" saw increasingly violent demonstrations and ambushes, mostly on defensive terrain with relatively localised small-scale opposition from the left. When a large-scale attempt was made to counter them in Dover, the result was one of the worst fascist riots in a generation.

But it totally collapsed that movement. By escalating the amount of street violence necessary to achieve their (intrinsically violent) political goals, the alliance fractured and collapsed amid police repression and internal recriminations. A less militant counter that gave a merely symbolic counter would not have achieved that end.

When Nigel Farage says he'll "pick up a rifle" to defend Brexit, he knows that he is egging on the people in this country who literally will do that. That is a violent escalation. Forcing him back onto his bus by the fear of a barrage of dairy beverages is a de-escalation.

Fight fascists with milkshakes so we don't have to fight them with fists. Fight them with fists so we don't have to fight them with guns. Fight them with guns so we don't have to fight them with tanks.

Comment

Yeah, one of the worrying things about recent years is that, for the first time since probably the late 70s/early 80s, fascists have felt able to mobilise, aggressively and en masse, in the streets without expecting much of a counter-reaction. By contrast, the late-90s/early Noughties surge of the BNP tried not to be a street movement (although there were intermittent incidents), partly because they knew they'd always be outnumbered by their opponents. But now in a lot of places, racists are not afraid anymore. But their victims are.

Comment

Morris Beckman from the 43 Group, which brutally smashed Mosleyites after the war and prevented any fascist resurgance said "our job was to put as many fascists in hospital as we could".

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post

Fascism is the escalation of violence. Anti-fascism is self-defence.
                              Farage didn't attack the bloke that milkshaked him, did he?

'Self-defence' seems like a convenient but illogical argument. I suspect some arseholes thinking they'd have a bit of a laugh and get on the telly is a more convincing description.

Comment

I can't say I'm that bothered with a bit of food-throwing during election campaigns, there is a long tradition of it so it's not some unpleasant modern-day trend. But I am a little bit and my main problems are twofold.

Firstly, the victim usually comes out of it, well, as a victim and tends to receive a fair bit of public sympathy or even admiration if they respond with a bit of fire or a quip, (Farage just looked like a springer spaniel unhappily getting his annual bath - a less impressive look). I understand that many of his detractors will have loved his humiliation but there are lots of other people who will have responded quite differently.

Secondly, I'm really on board with the coarsening of public debate argument. I think we need to substitute reasoned argument for aggression and name-calling. The BNP weren't defeated on the streets - a big part of it was because Griffin came across so poorly on QT.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                                  Morris Beckman from the 43 Group, which brutally smashed Mosleyites after the war and prevented any fascist resurgance said "our job was to put as many fascists in hospital as we could".
                                  Is that really relevant though? Is the current situation actually comparable? Is chucking a milkshake at Farage really the same as breaking up a bunch of BUP supporters? I don't think it is, and I don't think it is a productive move. More likely to motivate people who wouldn't bother voting to vote for Nige ("Up yours, Islington-Pinko-Remainers!") instead of staying home to watch crap on TV and drink Stella. And, yeah, supercilious my-centrist-mates style references to "self-appointed grownups" aside, it will probably provoke more targeting of other politicians. I'd be very surprised if Corbyn doesn't get something, soon. And it'll be okay because we said this was okay.

Comment

Fine with Corbyn getting milkshaked tbh

Comment

Take it with a pinch of salt if you wish, but is this ok?

[URL]https://twitter.com/jeremydrysdale/status/1131502651882004481[/URL]

I'm with Lurgee on this one - whilst I love nothing more than seeing Farage covered in milkshake, I don't think it's the right way to go and I do think it courts sympathy for him.

Comment

Ooo, I know Jeremy Drysdale. Haven't seen him in years.

Comment

"Hi. I'm sitting here counting votes on behalf of a Party that wants to take away your future, your freedom, your rights. It is opaquely funded, not least by a bunch of people already convicted of cheating in the referendum. Our rhetoric over the past few years has seen an MP killed, other MPs have racist slogans and death threats daubed on their offices and houses. We've shown up at doors at 5am, deliberately broken the rules on court reporting and contributed to making this country a divided and totally toxic place to live.

But hey, you threw a milkshake over me, so that makes me right and you wrong."

Fuck that.

Comment

Because some knobber decided to chuck it over a bloke in Aldershot has little bearing over doing the same to Farage.
                                            I'd like to see some evidence of Farage's sympathy vote increasing from the previously uncommitted. If there was some evidence for this, then we can say that as a tactic, milkshaking the bastard is counterproductive. Until then, fuck the sneering fascist-enabling Poujadistic twat.

Comment

If some visiting Canadian threw cheesy curd chips at Nige, would that be Poutine for Poujade?

Comment

It's a tactical question, of course, as always. Does it make Farage less likely to go out? Then that's a massive plus. Does it win him more votes? That would be a minus.

My assessment is that it's likely a net positive. Plus it's great

Comment

I don't think my position has changed. The following remain true

1 - It's very funny
                                                  2 - It's obviously assault and therefore illegal
                                                  3 - The perpetrators should be arrested and given a light slap on the wrist just like egg-throwers of yore have been
                                                  4 - It does not presage extended violence on the street
                                                  5 - If fascists go out and actually assault people or worse, that is not caused by Farage getting milkshaked, it's because that's what fascists do
                                                  6 - If it happens it should only happen to very high profile arseholes like Carl Benjamin and Farage, not to low level fascist party apparatchiks like the old bloke in the picture upthread
                                                  7 - It's very, very funny

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                    I don't think my position has changed. The following remain true

1 - It's very funny
                                                    2 - It's obviously assault and therefore illegal
                                                    3 - The perpetrators should be arrested and given a light slap on the wrist just like egg-throwers of yore have been
                                                    4 - It does not presage extended violence on the street
                                                    5 - If fascists go out and actually assault people or worse, that is not caused by Farage getting milkshaked, it's because that's what fascists do
                                                    6 - If it happens it should only happen to very high profile arseholes like Carl Benjamin and Farage, not to low level fascist party apparatchiks like the old bloke in the picture upthread
                                                    7 - It's very, very funny
                                                    My feelings entirely.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X