European Elections - Voting Intentions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
    In asking if the Chelsea fan who sees no problem with the Brexit Party having a logo which is a big arrow pointing at their box on the ballot paper is prepared to reveal if he’s alsi a supporter of the Brexit Party. Looks like he’s not..
    Well, this is all a bit bizarre. You really don't respond very well to any sort of criticism, do you. It's not a good look if you're trying to persuade people of the justice of your cause.

If it makes you happy, I can reveal that I won't be voting for the Brexit Party. OK.

My Chelsea-supporting mates include Labour Party and Green activists. None from the Brexit Party.

Comment

What a complete and utter shambles the UK is.

Comment

They visited the Brexit Party only after a former Prime MInister publicly accused the Brexit Party of corruption.

Brown didn't use the word "corruption" and we don't know if the visit was as a result of his remarks or planned beforehand.

Comment

You’re quite Brexity aren’t you? Chelsea Fan too....all figures
          Are you stoned?

From my experience of the Electoral Commission, they're usually objective but weak and hidebound by bureaucracy. Given the latter I imagine the visit to Nige HQ was planned some time ago (although of course Gordy's people could have tipped the wink then).

Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 23-05-2019, 12:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Well, I don't think they're immune from occasional error, but that's different from believing that their decisions are a deliberate attempt to favour the Right, or Leavers or whatever the accusation is supposed to be.The Brexit Party certainly don't seem to think that they were being favoured by them, given their reaction when their offices were vistited by the Electoral Commission to check their funding controls.
            Well, given that like the DUP, the Brexit Party are existentially required to see victim status in everything, the fact that the Brexit Party felt is neither here nor there. I'm not suggesting that they caved, nor were prodded. I'm suggesting that, like the Charity Commission, there is a degree of inconsistency in their rulings that can partly be explained by underfunding, and partly by a certain idiosyncracy in their political antennae that seems to be related to the circumstances of their governance. Whatever the cause, their track record can't possibly give anyone confidence that the fact that something has been allowed by the commission means that it's been looked at 'objectively' and that it's OK.

Comment

H
              Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Brown didn't use the word "corruption" and we don't know if the visit was as a result of his remarks or planned beforehand.
              what Brown said...

“Now Mr Farage heads a new Brexit party, which is making questionable claims about the true source of its funding at a time when the Electoral Commission has warned of the dangers of multiple, small, anonymous donations being a cover for dirty money.”

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
                Well, given that like the DUP, the Brexit Party are existentially required to see victim status in everything
                The 3 most prominent DUP politicians (including their candidate today) having survived assassination attempts might partly explain that

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post

Well, given that like the DUP, the Brexit Party are existentially required to see victim status in everything, the fact that the Brexit Party felt is neither here nor there. I'm not suggesting that they caved, nor were prodded. I'm suggesting that, like the Charity Commission, there is a degree of inconsistency in their rulings that can partly be explained by underfunding, and partly by a certain idiosyncracy in their political antennae that seems to be related to the circumstances of their governance. Whatever the cause, their track record can't possibly give anyone confidence that the fact that something has been allowed by the commission means that it's been looked at 'objectively' and that it's OK.

I wouldn't assume that any individual or organisation is incapable of error or perfectly objective on all occasions. But what's being suggested is active bias.

Comment

To Nef's quotes above, as I said, Brown didn't use the word "corruption" and was very careful not to do so.

Comment

NYC got rid of party logos a while ago, though I would have bet that fewer than 1 percent of voters would have recognised them when they were there (the Democrats had a star, which wasn't used anywhere else).

Kansas appears not to have updated theirs since the 19th century

Surely they are an anachronism in the UK, no?
                      Last edited by ursus arctos; 23-05-2019, 13:54.

Comment

Actually, and I stand to be corrected, I think that they're a recent innovation. I don't remember ballot papers having symbols on them when I first voted.

As we recently discovered, the Irish ones have photos of the candidates on them.

Comment

Hmmmmm

You don't have non-English language ballots, do you (we do)?

Might they have been intended as an accommodation to non-English proficient voters? If that is the case, I'm even more troubled by the Brexit Party logo than I was before.

Comment

"Tommy Robinson" wasn't on our ballot paper as an "Independent", like two other named candidates. Just Tommy Robinson, like he's a fucking party now or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

The 3 most prominent DUP politicians (including their candidate today) having survived assassination attempts might partly explain that
                              I bet you all the tea in china that victim status was a pre-existing condition.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                Hmmmmm

You don't have non-English language ballots, do you (we do)?

Might they have been intended as an accommodation to non-English proficient voters? If that is the case, I'm even more troubled by the Brexit Party logo than I was before.

I don't believe so and, yes, I sort of assumed that the symbols were a visual aid for those with English literacy issues.

Comment

The Electoral Commission blaming other people for the fact that multiple people entitled to vote have been turned away

[URL]https://twitter.com/paulbernaluk/status/1131570957720719361?s=21[/URL]

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1131638663685791746?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Why would any sane person defend the DUP?
                                      Or the BP?

Both are symptomatic cancers of British politics which need eliminating ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                                      X