Congratulations Alabama!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations Alabama!

You've just legitimized the return to back street abortions, you worthless pieces of shit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48275795

Just fuck off and die.

Similar legislation in Georgia and Ohio recently. The purpose is stated in your link.

"Supporters say they expect the law to be blocked in court but hope that the appeals process will bring it before the Supreme Court.

They want the court, which now has a conservative majority, to overturn the 1973 ruling legalising abortion."

Comment

The bill was written by an anti-choice special interest group, and the whole intent is for it to try to get to the Supreme Court, where it can be used to overturn Roe:

“Until now, there was no prospect of reversing Roe,” said Eric Johnston, who founded the Alabama Pro-Life Coalition and serves as its president, and has spent more than 30 years trying to ban abortion.

Mr. Johnston, who drafted the Alabama bill and sees himself as a purist on the abortion issue, said he did not support the spate of restrictive legislation that other states have enacted in recent months, including so-called fetal heartbeat bills. These bills essentially ban abortions starting at six weeks after conception, a time when many women do not yet know they are pregnant.

Given the current leanings of the Supreme Court, Mr. Johnston said, making such a measure, which does not directly challenge Roe, the subject of the court’s next major abortion case would be a wasted opportunity.

“Why not go all the way?” he asked.

Comment

Would the supreme Court even in its current makeup vote to overturn Roe vs Wade? There's a difference surely between being a Conservative and being a full on misogynist ? Or am I naive?

Comment

A number of serious SCOTUS observers believe that the yahoos have overplayed their hand by enacting such insane legislation.

Comment

Christ almighty! Is there any, but any, chance that one or more of the conservative-leaning members of the SC, based on past decisions or public comments, might just do the right thing if and when it gets as far as them?

I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

I'm no SC expert at all, but I think that Roberts has not been the full partisan that many in the GOP were hoping for and is now scarily the middle of the spectrum of the court's makeup now.

Comment

Huh?

Mr Johnston is a member of the Alabama legislature?

Or how in the name of fuck do you crazies allow people who haven't been elected frame legislation?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Huh?

Mr Johnston is a member of the Alabama legislature?

Or how in the name of fuck do you crazies allow people who haven't been elected frame legislation?
                  Bills are partially/fully written by outside groups and introduced as legislation all the time now, usually by the right. Look up ALEC and their public sector union-busting legislative efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    A number of serious SCOTUS observers believe that the yahoos have overplayed their hand by enacting such insane legislation.
                    If SCOTUS upholds Roe v Wade here, what are the negative consequences for the yahoos? Other states will continue their death-by-a-thousand-cuts attacks, won't they?

Comment

I still want to know how outsiders introduce bills.

How can that be legitimate in a democracy?

Comment

Yes

And I expect that there are "game theory" types on the Left who believe that this is all part of a grand plan that allows the GOP to keep some gullible women onside while still ensuring that women without means will be unable to access legal abortion services.

It might actually work on Susan Collins.

Comment

Don't they just give it to a pliant legislator/Dept? That's what happens here and in the UK I'd imagine. I'm sure UK tax laws are drafted with industry "cooperation".

Comment

They can't introduce bills themselves, they find a sympathetic legislator that they've likely donated money to previously and s/he introduces the bill. If there are revisions, the lobbyists can still be involved.

It's not legitimate in the slightest, but neither is our system of government.

Comment

Guy, they don't introduce them.

They provide a "suggested" text to a friendly legislator who does so for them.

Comment

You write a bill. You find a representative to present it.

Comment

Ah.

Ok.

Much the same as here then.

That's ok.

I read too much into it thinking someone could bowl up at the gate and assuming enough members were prepared to debate it, into the chamber it went.

Comment

It's not really "much the same as here" at all. Unless "here" for you is very different from "here" for me.

Comment

This thread seems a lot more optimistic than anywhere else I've read about this.

Comment

(Also let's not forget that a the six counties has the same position on abortion. Or even worse.)

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                          (Also let's not forget that a the six counties has the same position on abortion. Or even worse.)
                                          Blimey. I didn't know that.

Comment

Ton Ton, there is a significant benefit in terms of fundraising and "energising the base" from extreme takes on either side of this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                              It's not really "much the same as here" at all. Unless "here" for you is very different from "here" for me.
                                              Get a pet MP to introduce a bill the government are sympathetic too?

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                                Blimey. I didn't know that.
                                                Oh yeah.

I knew that.

But how long have we had direct rule?

That could have been sorted within a month, and then the gauntlet thrown down to any devolved assembly to reverse it if they dared.

Comment

We don't have direct rule we have suspended assembly and a hamstrung civil service running things. Direct rule would involve fucking Bradley signing Ministerial Orders. It would also need Irish govt involvement under the GFA, assuming you could trust Teh Dirty Brits to keep to a treaty.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X