No announcement yet.

Inconvenience Stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it's just in Dublin. Tbh I can't remember trying to exchange euro coins for poonds in Embra or Glasgow.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
      I'm trying to remember anything like that when I went a couple of years ago. And I can't. But then I'll have probably taken cash out of an ATM if I wanted cash. And mostly will have used a card.
      You might have visited before the big tourism tsunami hit. We were obviously at the crest of the wave, after they rebuilt the airport but before WOW went tits-up. I think that'll be a real setback for them, but maybe not an unwelcome one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
        Maybe it's just in Dublin. Tbh I can't remember trying to exchange euro coins for poonds in Embra or Glasgow.
        I would also guess that they don't do it for exchanges other than between sterling and euros

Comment

Amor, yes, that makes sense.

I believe that the Machins have had the longest life of any major definitive set currently in use. And they definitely have their dedicated fans/obsessives.

Comment

On another exchange based tangent my son is (still) backpacking around SE Asia and messaged from Laos a few weeks asking if there was a reason why Scottish currency was showing a different rate from UK currency - I assumed it was because Scottish notes are harder to trade over there, and/or there's a bigger risk of undetected forgeries (or at least outdated notes) - anyway I can't remember the exact numbers but he reckoned the exchange rate was far worse for Scottish. I wouldn't rule out this being a mistake on his part - I asked my mate who spent nearly two years there and he was surprised they even said they would take Scottish notes, they are apparently quite fussy about these things.

Comment

WOM, isn't what you are describing a branch of a bank?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                WOM, isn't what you are describing a branch of a bank?
                It was a nice, soft-touch experience that only did currency exchanges. Not bank-like at all, and I think it was a bit of a 'government service' rather than a profit-making venture.

Comment

I can't do pics here - did it look like this https://www.isavia.is/media/1/untitled-6800.jpg ?

Comment

This is Keflavik, right?

It is currently a bank/

A branch of the third largest retail bank in the country, what used to be called "New Kaupthing".

Or did you fly some kind of charter that used the (smaller) city airport? It isn't open to scheduled international service (which would explain why its currency exchange services were unusual).

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                      I can't do pics here - did it look like this https://www.isavia.is/media/1/untitled-6800.jpg ?
                      You "can't", or you can't?

Comment

WOM, we really aren't picking on you.

There is a part of me that would be thrilled to know that Iceland had re-created the kind of currency exchanges that I used to have to deal with in Venezuela or the Warsaw Pact countries.

Comment

Can't recall that type of bank thing last time I was at Keflavik. I usually bring a bit of cash with me when in Iceland (few times over the last couple of decades) and have always got it in the UK before flying (can't speak for if WOM is outside the UK like, but the Krona's been pretty easily gettable round here from what I recall). I usually forget to change what cash I have left back once I leave, which is why I have about 4000 ISK in the random currency cup at home (so that airport bank might actually prove useful to know about for future trips). I mean I could just take it to M&S but I'm a bit lazy and/or forgetful
                          Last edited by via vicaria; 21-05-2019, 21:13. Reason: not as much krona in the currency cup as expected after checking

Comment

WOM is in Toronto. His options will be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                              On another exchange based tangent my son is (still) backpacking around SE Asia and messaged from Laos a few weeks asking if there was a reason why Scottish currency was showing a different rate from UK currency - I assumed it was because Scottish notes are harder to trade over there, and/or there's a bigger risk of undetected forgeries (or at least outdated notes) - anyway I can't remember the exact numbers but he reckoned the exchange rate was far worse for Scottish. I wouldn't rule out this being a mistake on his part - I asked my mate who spent nearly two years there and he was surprised they even said they would take Scottish notes, they are apparently quite fussy about these things.
                              I've heard of Scottish notes being listed separately in exchanges in a number of countries, and often as "harder" more valuable currency than Proper Sterling. Fuck knows why.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                WOM, we really aren't picking on you.
                                Not at all. And that picture above is where we bought when we arrived, but the place where they buy back from you is in the departure area and is much less bank looking. That's what I meant by 'soft touch'; more like an ING Cafe type of thing where hipsters 'hang out' for the wifi. I can't find a picture, but I think it was bright yellow or orange.

Comment

Nope...turns out it was an Arion as well...just designed slightly differently. It's the purple 15/ATM on the airport map.

Comment

It's difficult enough trying to spend Scottish banknotes in England or Wales, let alone in Laos.

Also, there seems to be a sliding scale: RBS notes are the most likely to be accepted, as there were branches of RBS in English high streets until very recently. BOS, a bit more of a challenge. Clydesdale? Forget it. The latter are also the most problematic as they seem to be the default notes dispensed from every cash machine in Scotland apart from the BOS and RBS ones.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                                      It's difficult enough trying to spend Scottish banknotes in England or Wales, let alone in Laos.

Also, there seems to be a sliding scale: RBS notes are the most likely to be accepted, as there were branches of RBS in English high streets until very recently. BOS, a bit more of a challenge. Clydesdale? Forget it. The latter are also the most problematic as they seem to be the default notes dispensed from every cash machine in Scotland apart from the BOS and RBS ones.
                                      I worked in Scotland for a long time and got out of the habit of using local cashpoints, having had Scottish notes refused several times in England* - including nearly missed a game at Rochdale when I only had Scottish notes and they wouldn't take them, and only got in cos someone behind me in the queue was willing to swap a Scottish £20 for an English. *always further south than Cumbria - they take them easily in Carlisle for example.

I got an Ulster Bank note at a motorway services and my (current, English) work canteen wouldn't take it.

I go to Guernsey occasionally and a couple times have had to say "erm you don't have any English do you?" when getting a local fiver in change from buying a pint.

Comment

Back on topic...

On Tuesday I bought some Walkers ready salted crisps as my Mum was coming to stay and they are her preferred flavour. Anyway she had a packet yesterday and they were stale because they were a month out of date. So now I'm either going to have to go back to Asda and ask for a refund (and feel like a cheapskate) or bridle at paying £1.50 for multiple bags of stale crisps.

Comment

I used to work for Asda... that's why I usually go to Tesco.

Comment

They were evil union busting bastards when owned by Archie Norman, I dread to think what they are like under the WalMart regime.

the coop in Kirkcaldy was worse but, the manager used to get us to change the best before stickers on old manky lettuce and the likes (cheap booze and fags was our main trade).
                                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 27-08-2019, 17:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                              I dread to think what they are like under the WalMart regime.
                                              I was there (briefly) in 2011, so very much under the current regime. 15 minute lunch breaks were the norm, management seemed to be completely invisible and unaccountable, the rest of the staff were slightly cold and distant... never again.

Comment

Working...
                                              X