No announcement yet.

This used to be a rough neighbourhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you'd ever been given a warm Bud Light and felt obliged to drink it out of politeness, you'd dream of a Stella.

Comment

Well, yes.....

Comment

The Cure are playing Disintegration (3 shows) at the Sydney Opera House and every person in the Southern Hemisphere has been trying to get tkts.

There has been a ballot, and my mates and I got nuthin. I tried to buy grey market and almost got scammed.

We’ve decided to go there on the Sat night and watch the connected yuppies who got tickets without even needing to enter the ballot, and the handful of genuine balloteers stream into the Grand Old Girl, before going to the Botanical Gardens next door to sit under a fig tree, smoke doobs and listen to the album on a speaker.

When it comes to Cure songs, I like Object and Charlotte Sometimes best.

Comment

Stella is the only booze I've so far encountered that makes me feel ill as soon as I start drinking it. I don't hate the taste or owt, but I turn down free cans of it on away coaches even if I've got nowt else.

Comment

There's lots that could be said about this, but ultimately, there is real expertise and insight on OTF, and genuinely engaged interaction, on a good clutch of subjects that I just don't find elsewhere. Off the top of my head, that amazing thread from Etienne about Caribbean cricketers from each island, Janik's extraordinarily detailed posts on tennis, imp on refereeing, and many more. Ursus, GY and more on American politics; countless insightful posts recently by laverte; loads more. Certainly when it comes to the ice hockey world championships, this will be the place I come.

I still find this place indispensable, and as to exactly how it's better or worse, I don't think about that often.

Comment

ad hoc on Palestine, I'd like to add.

Comment

Oh, yeah, I mean ,I just see his briefer stuff on Facebook and it is spot on. Also, when there is a lot of whataboutery to do with Syria and Yemen (which are, of course, important), it is good to have that channel of information.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                  Going to the Cure next month,another of the bands I haven't seen before to tick off the list.
                  Enjoy it! I saw them twice last year. I don't do festivals though, so no Cure gigs for me this year.

Comment

Saw the Cure in Reading years ago, instead of a support act they played the entirety of Carnage Visors... bastards. Anyway, I don't post very much but I read often and concur that these things are cyclical. Carry on.

Comment

When I first posted on this forum in 1996 it was in the editors whim days and I was 18. Today I am 41 and a very different person to the one I was 20 odd years ago. Good luck OTF and here's to the next 20 years.

Comment

What on earth was "the editors whim"? Some sort of casting couch?

Comment

A casting couch? Bloody hell. I only got a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                            When I first posted on this forum in 1996 it was in the editors whim days and I was 18.
                            Ah yes, the Jamie Rainbow days.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                              For pity's sake, discussions about Stella and the Cure? It would have been wall to wall stramashes in the old days. I blame Hobbes.
                              Yer wrang thur, kidda

Comment

I love The Cure too. As did many of the now-departed alphas

Comment

Yes, count me among the Cure-ophiles

Comment

Early Cure was good.

Comment

Don't have any truck with Bored's music tastes.

Comment

The Cure? They're alright I suppose.

Last edited by hobbes; 14-05-2019, 14:35.

Comment

I know it's not really what they are mostly about, but A compilation of the Cure's euphoric songs would probably be the greatest pop album ever.
                                          Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 14-05-2019, 14:53.

Comment

Working...
                                          X