Scottish Government makes correct decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish Government makes correct decision

No more free money for people who think it's acceptable to destroy the environment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-48191110

It's anticipated as many as one million passengers could be affected.

so.

No actual downside

Edinburgh Airport chief bleating away but, that this will stop investment, and airlines were already pulling out cos of the delay in implementing APD cut. Bollocks. Embra is having record growth just about every month these past two years.

Comment

Good news.

Comment

Seconded

Comment

Now I'd suggest subsidising the flights to the Islands.

But any flights between any two destinations on the British mainland shouldn't be getting a percentage fee on the fare.

Flat rate of five grand to fuck these wankers down the pan

Comment

The Irish govt should hike up theirs now the boom is getting boomier and Dublin is heaving with tourists. And seeing as there will be no climate action taken on the beef/dairy industry's emissions, prob the least it can do.

Comment

Inverness has an APD reduced rate as a 'hub' for the kind of flights Guy mentions.

Comment

Was talking to a mutual friend with Etienne (EB) who invited me to pledge not to fly this year. I probably won't take any flights but if I need to get to Ireland quickly it's probably unavoidable

Comment

Don't have a problem with flying over oceans and seas.

But flying from say, London to Glasgow?

Do one, yer wankers.

Comment

By rail I can get from breakfast in Birmingham to Glasgow/ Embra by 1030 and by ship even to Dublin by 2pm
                    Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 07-05-2019, 18:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                      Now I'd suggest subsidising the flights to the Islands.

But any flights between any two destinations on the British mainland shouldn't be getting a percentage fee on the fare.

Flat rate of five grand to fuck these wankers down the pan
                      Apart from the one that only lasts one minute of course - that can go.

Comment

But the Conservatives said the government had broken promises to the tourism industry and had "succumbed once again to the environmental extremists in its own nationalist movement".
                        What. A. Bunch. Of. Fucking. Scumbag. Cunts.

Comment

But still ignorant eejits in London media like Martin Kettle see fuckin Ruth Davidson as the cosy face of Reformed Conservatism that could Unite the Country.

Comment

Was talking to a mutual friend with Etienne (EB) who invited me to pledge not to fly this year. I probably won't take any flights but if I need to get to Ireland quickly it's probably unavoidable

I'd love to know what the emissions of a ferry are? The sort of oil they burn is nearly solid.

Comment

That was a broadcast on behalf of the Dublin Airport Authority.
                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 07-05-2019, 23:13.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

I'd love to know what the emissions of a ferry are? The sort of oil they burn is nearly solid.
                                Indeed. How does the carbon footprint of flying compared to all those people driving and/or taking a ferry. I assume trains are the best, but I don’t know.

Comment

well it all depends really. European ferries have substantially cleaned up their act (In a way that those huge cruise ships haven't) But a ferry is fucking massive compared to an airplane, and is running its engines for a long time. It's not a straight forward calculation. A lot of it depends on how he gets to the Ferry, and how many people he travels with. If he gets a crowded train, and gets a crowded ferry, then his emissions will be quite low. If he drives by himself, and there's only a couple of people on the ferry, then you get a very different answer.

But the whole exercise is pointless because the plane is flying anyway, and the ferry is making the crossing, and the train is going anyway. The issue isn't really about what DG chooses to do, it ultimately comes back to the Airline industry being utterly reliant on the subsidy of untaxed aviation fuel which means that the cost is completely unrelated to the environmental damage that it is doing. If he environmental cost of the plane flight was factored in, flights would be a lot more expensive, and there would be far fewer of them.

Comment

Thanks all. I should have stressed that I actually enjoy/ prefer the sail/ rail journey to Belfast/ Dublin/ Glasgow. You can see from small passenger numbers on the Cairnryan ferry that energy use per head isn't negligible. But as Berba- says air travel will remain popular as long as it gets that effective subsidy

Comment

Working...
                                    X