Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

I am not sure I get you point.
    The thing about turning the person who has done the racist thing into the poor misunderstood victim because they've been labelled racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

The thing about turning the person who has done the racist thing into the poor misunderstood victim because they've been labelled racist.
      And you can see Afua had more disdain for Baker's supporters than she had for Baker himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

This thread has already covered that in some detail. It's educated me to see why intent isn't particularly relevant to dealing with an action.
        Totally agree. That's what I have experienced here.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Totally agree. That's what I have experienced here.
          I don't necessarily agree.
          If he had a history of posting similar pictures for white babies (A question I had to ask five times before getting a half answer) then there would not be accusations of racism. He would have been accused of being crass and tasteless. I am sure people would have had a word with him that's he's best not to associate black people with Monkeys as an aside.

There wouldn't have been all this "is he, isn't he a racist nonsense" that has transpired over the last couple of weeks and the conversation would have been more about cyber bullying of famous people.

Comment

TG, I said that what she says is unarguable, because you can't construct an argument against it, against any part of it at all. And you certainly can't engage with it by simply doing the sort of thing that she is talking about. I felt very weird watching that clip after a certain point. Because At some point that clip stops being about Danny Baker or racism or anything in particular, and simply boils down to a man driving a woman to justifiable fury by simply piling nonsense upon nonsense, he takes out a verbal shovel and starts digging a hole and he keeps digging as though he wants to get to australia, and finding new ways to say exactly the sort of thing to be most irritating to her, and you find yourself wondering is he doing this deliberately, or is he this utterly clueless on such a basic interpersonal level, or are there a number of other things going on.

How she managed to get to the end of that interview without saying something like "Just because you think you're Prosciutto ham, doesn't mean that you're not basically Gammon" I will never know. I do suspect though that if Greg Dyke was driving a white woman to distraction in a similar way , she'd probably feel considerably freer to put a verbal brick through his forehead. I think there's an important point lost somewhere in the middle of all of this, and it seems that Greg Dyke is speaking for a large group of people who are prepared to accept that racism is bad, as long as it is limited in scope and easy to avoid. You just don't have to do it intentionally. It's a bit like wanting to avoid labelling someone a killer just because they didn't go out to commit murder. They merely had a skinful of pints as you do, and on their drive home they ploughed through a lollipop lady and five schoolkids. (Which is effectively what Danny Bakers explanation based on laziness, carelessness, ignorance, and lack of empathy boils down to). The distinction to the relatives of the victims is entirely moot, and the distinction only makes sense to people who ultimately don't want a child massacre to put a crimp on their post pub driving habits.

He should just be more honest and just say that he doesn't care enough about the offense caused to black people to think that white people should bear any responsibility for even cursorily filtering their statements for things that are unintentionally offensive. They've taken the minstrel show off tv, what more do people want? The only thing that is ultimately missing from what he is saying is the phrase "It's political correctness gone mad." because that is a major verbal rubicon for him to cross, yet to all intents and purposes he's already on the other side and marching on Rome. The upshot of this that I would be most worried about is that when the dust settles, no-one will have learned anything, but instead there will be a new chunk of people who were indifferent before, who think this is too harsh, and find themselves in the political correctness gone mad column, and UK society will have shifted another bit further rightwards.
            Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 20-05-2019, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
              that terrible Asian man were rolling out weak excuses.
              What was his name?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

What was his name?

Without having looked at the link I presume that the show is The Pledge which probably means that the Asian guy in question is Maajid Nawaz.

Comment

Oh, so a British-Pakistani guy who actually has a name.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                    There are similarities too with a row about racism that has in recent months engulfed online communities dedicated to, as unlikely as it might sound, knitting. This is a good primer.
                    The main knitting/"fiber arts" online community, Ravelry, which claims more than 8 million members, has de-platformed support for Trump.

Their announcement (see link below) says, "We are banning support of Donald Trump and his administration on Ravelry... This includes support in the form of forum posts, projects, patterns*, profiles, and all other content... We cannot provide a space that is inclusive of all and also allow support for open white supremacy. Support of the Trump administration is undeniably support for white supremacy."

*I understand members have posted to the site patterns that are anti-Pride or pro-Trump/concentration camp.

Comment

that's great.

Comment

"I'd support my child if they were gay" - William.

No you fucking wouldn't, the taxpayer would.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48774280

Comment

An openly gay heir to the throne would present an interesting constitutional crisis*.

*For those who get their knickers in a twist about it.

Comment

It's not proven to have been a problem in the past...

Comment

Why, Succession is pretty well established, and it's not like the Church of england matters.

This sort of thing is pretty much all that Prince william is useful for. This is the peak of his usefulness so I think it's worth recognizing this. One of the things that you could say in favour of his mother, was that she wasn't behind the door when it came to trying to improve the position of gay people in society, and while this may not mean much to a lot of people, it might have some marginal impact on some knuckle-draggers who are making their own child's life a misery.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                It's not proven to have been a problem in the past...
                                Ah, but they married and did the right thing by their country. In the main.

I think perhaps a more interesting constitutional question is whether the Windsors are now ever likely to relish their dynastic grip on the throne. In the past, war, rebellious subjects, ill health or just plain bad luck ended dynasties. Given the unlikelihood of a full blown Monarchy chopping civil war, and with modern medicine the way it is, the chances of there not being a Windsor heir somewhere are pretty slim indeed.

Comment

They'll be around for as long as humanity is.

So for approximately another 120 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post

Ah, but they married and did the right thing by their country. In the main.

I think perhaps a more interesting constitutional question is whether the Windsors are now ever likely to relish their dynastic grip on the throne. In the past, war, rebellious subjects, ill health or just plain bad luck ended dynasties. Given the unlikelihood of a full blown Monarchy chopping civil war, and with modern medicine the way it is, the chances of there not being a Windsor heir somewhere are pretty slim indeed.
                                    I once worked with someone whose claim to fame was that he was something like 76th in line to the throne. Hde'd be about 96th now because this was fifteen years ago and I expect more than just Wills and Harry in the pecking order above him have had kids since, but the point is even if a revolution chopped off 70 heads, the eventual restoration would always find another one.
                                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 27-06-2019, 09:30.

Comment

ffs

[URL]https://twitter.com/prodnose/status/1267188105708175368[/URL]

Comment

The latest Chart Music podcast read out a letter to the NME from June 1982 accusing Danny Baker of being homophobic. I tracked down the Baker piece: see his review of Culture Club:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nothin...n/photostream/

Different times and he was 'only' 25 years old but it's horrific. There is no contextual defence.
                                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 19-04-2022, 20:55.

Comment

Baffled by the account handle - is he a Rangers fan?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                            even if a revolution chopped off 70 heads, the eventual restoration would always find another one.
                                            How are Marie Antoinette junior and Kaiser Bill's great grandson getting on?

Comment

Working...
                                            X