Happy Surrey Day Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Surrey Day Everyone!

New one on me but happy to quaff a bottle of Denbies' finest if I really have to.

Another sensibly chosen county day.

Does it hold any significance?

Comment

It's a new one on everyone, it being the inaugural one. Your post is the first I've heard of it. I'm off to see the county rugby side play Sussex later, I'm not sure there'll be many there (as it's a low level completion) or any acknowledgement of the day.

I do have a strange affection for Surrey, my wife's from the county and we've lived here for 14 years meaning my children have largely grown up as Surreyites.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Probably Surrey's huge importance in the Star Wars saga.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-05-2019, 11:53.

Comment

I don't think so, Guy. I'm not really sure what event it could mark, to be honest. Maybe King William II granting William de Warenne the title of Earl of Surrey in 1088, but I doubt if the exact date is nailed down.

Comment

Loads and loads and loads of woods in Surrey, a fact well conveyed by that rather fine photograph.

Comment

Heh! Well, Peters Cushing and Mayhew were both from Surrey and Shepperton studios have been used in some of the production work.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                Loads and loads and loads of woods in Surrey, a fact well conveyed by that rather fine photograph.

Indeed. Surrey is the most wooded county in England, with 22.4% coverage compared to a national average of 11.8% apparently.

That's Newlands Corner upthread. The view from Box Hill towards Dorking is probably my favourite though:

Comment

Even pictures of Box Hill make my quads hurt.

I assume all those woodland stats are for Noveau-Surrey, rather than the Trad-Surrey of Lambeth and Kennington and Tooting (and Wimbledon, whose avoidance of relegation may be the reason that today is Surrey Day).

Comment

Yes, I'm sure it's modern-day Surrey, though there are plenty of trees in the south of Croydon, Wimbledon Common, Putney Heath, Richmond Park and so on.

I bought a bottle of Rip Snorter from the Hogs Back Brewery to celebrate but my stomach's feeling a little delicate at the moment so I may have to postpone the riotous festivities.

Wimbledon, of course, play in the Surrey colours of blue & gold/yellow.

Comment

Some lovely scenery, an average county cricket team and ground.

That and the official home of Man. Utd fans 'down south'.

I'll pass, thanks.

Comment

Average cricket side! Twenty titles, matey, and reigning champions!!!

Can't say that I know that many Man Utd. fans down here but I'm sure there's a few knocking around. Live and let though, eh.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                          Even pictures of Box Hill make my quads hurt.

I assume all those woodland stats are for Noveau-Surrey, rather than the Trad-Surrey of Lambeth and Kennington and Tooting (and Wimbledon, whose avoidance of relegation may be the reason that today is Surrey Day).
                          And don't forget New Cross / Millwall (football club, not Mudchute)

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Wimbledon, of course, play in the Surrey colours of blue & gold/yellow.
                            The yellow and blue does have a historical background but both the Surrey rugby team and Guildford Flames (the county town's premier sports team) play in maroon & blue with gold trim. I've always wondered if it's a coincidence or there is some link between those colours and the county too.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-05-2019, 09:47.

Comment

Not sure about the maroon, Ray. Maybe there's some sort of specific association with Guildford

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                I assume all those woodland stats are for Noveau-Surrey, rather than the Trad-Surrey of Lambeth and Kennington
                                There's plenty of trees in these parts. We love 'em.

Comment

Well this thread has confirmed that Surrey's not my kind of place in the slightest.

Incidentally, these pictures have reminded me of how little of the British countryside is actually wild or natural in any way, everything seems to be meticulously managed farmland with the odd bit of meticulously managed woodland. Even the Lakes and the Highlands (which to be fair both look spectacular) are entirely artificial landscapes and pretty much biodiversity deserts, as I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                    I hope that this comment doesn't imply a lack of confidence in Black Country Day's bold ambition to become the number one July 14th celebration beginning with B, Guy.

Comment

I don't think I've ever got any real impression that Surrey is a thing. I'm not convinced that it is.

Comment

In new and exciting developments, I agree with TonTon. I don't believe Surrey actually exists.

Comment

It is real. I've seen it on The Good Life.

Comment

Now people are just being silly, though I'd be lying if I said that I'm surprised that TonTon and Toby are the main protagonists.

I presume that Fussy thinks that they mow Box Hill or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                              I'd be lying if I said that I'm surprised that TonTon and Toby are the main protagonists.
                                              I resemble that remark.

Comment

If they'd said "Middlesex doesn't exist" I'd be more inclined to go along, given that Middlesex is really just west London suburbs. But there's an actual real part of Surrey.

Comment

Is Box Hill the one in the picture above where people are having a picnic? I don't know if they mow it but it doesn't exactly scream wilderness, does it.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X